Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Service Story (not good)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I am sure that Elon reads this forum every day I thought I would communicate with him here.

To summarize: Tesla Service Needs Your Attention.

A couple of updates ago when eye tracking was enabled, my Model S started falsely accusing me of not paying attention. After getting the threat to remove my FSD beta if my inattention persists, I scheduled an appointment with service to look into it. After 3 hours in the waiting room they tell me that they drove it through their test loop (about 3 miles I believe) and could not replicate the problem. They scheduled mobile service to come to my driveway and replace the interior camera. A week or so later a tech came out and replaced the camera. No test drive was done. The next morning I get in the car and a bunch of things are no longer working. No TACC, no AP, no Sentry mode, intermittent backup camera and side cameras. Rain sensing wipers won't sense rain. Seems like anything to do with cameras are no longer working. Called the service center and they put me on the waiting list - 2 weeks out. That was their first transgression. Since it was apparent that their own service guy managed to cripple my car, they should have had a tech in their shop put in some overtime and get this Tesla-induced problem fixed asap. They wouldn't do this so I had to wait. At this same time I added to my work order a new windshield, hit by a rock. Paid for by insurance co. Repairs were expected to be complete by the end of the appointment day. I go, and I sit, from 8 until around 4, where they then tell me I need to go to Hertz and rent a car (Tesla pays) since mine won't be ready for days. On the expected completion day I get a notice from Tesla that my car's expected completion date is now about 5 days farther out. On that expected completion date it is extended again, this time 10 days out (to Aug 19). They tell me the windshield they ordered was damaged and had to order another. This, and they won't allow me to come pick it up and bring it back when the windshield arrives. They tell me it isn't drivable. And THEN I get a notice that my appointment is for Aug 30th! My appointment? I don't need no stinkin appointment when my car is already sitting on their lot! I call and tell them this, and then the appointment message disappears. So I assume that my expected completion date is still the 19th.

I'll add to this story as things get worse. I have no expectation that it will get better.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Got my car back today, a day early. For some reason it seems the entire service staff was not present, and road cones had been placed at the service entrance. Like the place had been shut down. Anyway, I got a guy from the sales floor to check me out. He looked in the computer at what they had done and related this...
* Something having to do with the air suspension had been replaced. A pump I think.
* Driver's air bag replaced.
* Wiring harness on the starboard side replaced (4.5 hrs labor on that).
* Windshield replaced.
* Internal camera and coax cable replaced. Cable had been pinched and was shorting out.
* A bunch of testing for mostly electrical items had been done.
Car was in great condition and I could not tell that anything had been disturbed or was not the same condition as when new. I think they did a good job of putting things back together again after doing all that work.

And the bummer was that FSD Beta has been turned off or disabled. I worked hard for my high safety score to get the Beta and I hope all they have to do is flip a switch to restore it. I don't want to have to go through that again. And phantom braking is still with me although I really didn't expect that to change. Nearly got rear-ended less than a mile from the store.

Two weeks without my car all from a pinched cable that the mobile service tech left me with.

Forgot to update the last experience.... my FSD Beta came back! And so did the false accusations of driving without paying attention, just like it was before the original event of having my internal camera replaced. That camera had nothing to do with it. It has to be a software issue just like I always suspected. I'll have to live with it until they get the software refined and improved.

I feel the same way. I've had similar experience with two major service items. One was a replacement drive unit where they failed to attach a panel properly causing me to be stranded on the way home from the SC and now I have a main battery failure and will probably be w/o the car for a month at best (on top of having to pay $21K for the new battery). I am an early adapter (vin S00443) and have always promoted Tesla to friends and acquaintances, but now I don't recommend it to anyone. If they don't address this soon, I can't see them ever being profitable.

I feel the same way. I've had similar experience with two major service items. One was a replacement drive unit where they failed to attach a panel properly causing me to be stranded on the way home from the SC and now I have a main battery failure and will probably be w/o the car for a month at best (on top of having to pay $21K for the new battery). I am an early adapter (vin S00443) and have always promoted Tesla to friends and acquaintances, but now I don't recommend it to anyone. If they don't address this soon, I can't see them ever being profitable.
They may go down in history as the company that created the EV market but went out of business due to poor management. I hope not but one man cannot run 3 or more companies successfully without some fatalities.

• Love
Update: Drove to Florida this past Sunday (12/28). The next morning I discovered that my camera problem is back (no TACC, no FSD, no backup camera, etc.). So I had to drive 550 miles back home using my arms to physically move the yoke, and had to use my feet to push on the pedals. What a chore! :) Actually it was a bit of a chore, driving 10 hours vs supervising the driving by FSD is a world of difference fatigue-wise.

So early this morning (9/2) I submitted my problem to the service center via the app, explained that I've been through the waiting period multiple times over the same problem and I shouldn't have to go through that again. And guess what? My appointment is for Monday! (Next business day.)

...to be continued.

Update: Drove to Florida this past Sunday (12/28). The next morning I discovered that my camera problem is back (no TACC, no FSD, no backup camera, etc.). So I had to drive 550 miles back home using my arms to physically move the yoke, and had to use my feet to push on the pedals. What a chore! :) Actually it was a bit of a chore, driving 10 hours vs supervising the driving by FSD is a world of difference fatigue-wise.

So early this morning (9/2) I submitted my problem to the service center via the app, explained that I've been through the waiting period multiple times over the same problem and I shouldn't have to go through that again. And guess what? My appointment is for Monday! (Next business day.)

...to be continued.
I hope you get these problems fixed. Repeat problems are possibilities for lemon law.

... continued, 20 days later...
I got my car back this morning. The main thing is that they replaced the computer with a new one. I do believe that has been the source of my problems so far, and I also believe that the mobile tech who did the replacement of the internal camera was somehow the cause of the computer failure. Only because my problems started the moment that camera was replaced. I've driven it 200 miles since I picked it up and so far everything is back to normal. Except! Except.... I no longer have my FSD beta software! I spoke with Jennifer at Tesla in CA and she tells me that I have to go through the driver's test again and keep a good score (it's 93 or better now) until my beta status is restored, which may be a while since I'm now at the back of the line. Big Bummer. Scored a 98 on my first 105 miles driven.

I'm a bit surprised at all the other things they fixed while they had it:
* Replaced both left and right A-1 pillar shrouds.
* Replaced the radar unit with an "upgraded radar" due to water damage. (Couldn't be that high-resolution radar I've read about could it?)
* Replaced the yoke.
* Replaced internal camera and upper camera cover.
* Windshield and top glass replaced after finding standing water in passenger floorboard.

That's where I stand today. Anxiously waiting for my beta status reinstated.