Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Sill PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has removed the rear sill PPF coming with new MY now? I’m taking collecting mine in a couple of days and I’ve seen the PPF on it. You can clearly see where it is, which has surprised me somewhat. I’ve no experience in PPF but I thought it would have blended in better with the paintwork.

If you remove it, that section of paintwork will be peppered in stone chips in 6 months. It really is there for a reason.

If you covered the whole car with PPF then you’d probably not see it at all, anything short of that and you’ll notice the transition and parts of a single panel are very obvious.
Excuse my ignorance but how will it be peppered with stone chips? There’s front and rear mud flaps for one. Surely Tesla didn’t design a car knowing that the rear panels would be damaged within 6 months from normal usage?

Excuse my ignorance but how will it be peppered with stone chips? There’s front and rear mud flaps for one. Surely Tesla didn’t design a car knowing that the rear panels would be damaged within 6 months from normal usage?
On the Model 3 at least, the body design is susceptible to stone chips. Ours (2021) didn't have PPF on the sills (I don't believe the Model 3 does even now?) and quickly got chips. I touched them up and fitted the small PPF kit from Tesla. No problems since.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
On the Model 3 at least, the body design is susceptible to stone chips. Ours (2021) didn't have PPF on the sills (I don't believe the Model 3 does even now?) and quickly got chips. I touched them up and fitted the small PPF kit from Tesla. No problems since.
And yet I have a 2020 M3P, no PPF, no stone chips on the rear panels. Must say I find this very interesting. Can’t think of another car manufacturer that’s selling cars with bits of vinyl attached to the rear cos the design of the car is flawed where stone chips are concerned. Gonna need to look a bit more into this.

And yet I have a 2020 M3P, no PPF, no stone chips on the rear panels. Must say I find this very interesting. Can’t think of another car manufacturer that’s selling cars with bits of vinyl attached to the rear cos the design of the car is flawed where stone chips are concerned. Gonna need to look a bit more into this.
Aston Martin DB9 definitely had them. They are not totally uncommon.

Can’t think of another car manufacturer that’s selling cars with bits of vinyl attached to the rear cos the design of the car is flawed where stone chips are concerned. Gonna need to look a bit more into this.
Every newish Toyota has panels fitted in that position, although they seem to make a much better job of them so not so noticeable.

Every newish Toyota has panels fitted in that position, although they seem to make a much better job of them so not so noticeable.
That’s part of the issue mate. Ok they’ve put these patches on but they’re clearly visible like, especially on mine which is blue. Just looks like an afterthought. I’ve read up on this PPF thing and I’m reading that this all came about from countries with harsher climates than ours. I don’t get how no one is addressing the elephant in the room here and that is that Tesla have seemingly designed and built a car that is prone to stone chipping and damage on the rear panels but by slapping on an ugly piece of vinyl, everything is apparently ok again?

That’s part of the issue mate. Ok they’ve put these patches on but they’re clearly visible like, especially on mine which is blue. Just looks like an afterthought. I’ve read up on this PPF thing and I’m reading that this all came about from countries with harsher climates than ours. I don’t get how no one is addressing the elephant in the room here and that is that Tesla have seemingly designed and built a car that is prone to stone chipping and damage on the rear panels but by slapping on an ugly piece of vinyl, everything is apparently ok again?
Lots and Lots of cars have stone chip guard in that position. Any car with any sort of flared wheel arch will get stone chips there. Start looking as you drive and you will be surprised how many you see.
My 2019 M3 with mudguards since day one was peppered in stone chips in that location.
Tesla don't waste money. If they fit the stone chip guard they do it for a reason, You would need a huge set of front mudguards to protect that area of the car which would be terrible for efficiency.

Reactions: Adopado
Lots and Lots of cars have stone chip guard in that position. Any car with any sort of flared wheel arch will get stone chips there. Start looking as you drive and you will be surprised how many you see.
My 2019 M3 with mudguards since day one was peppered in stone chips in that location.
Tesla don't waste money. If they fit the stone chip guard they do it for a reason, You would need a huge set of front mudguards to protect that area of the car which would be terrible for efficiency.
I get it Jason but come on, 56k for a car that has been designed in such a way that this is even needed? So let’s see ok yes it’s required and we get past the design debate, why then install a patch like this that looks utterly dreadful and sticks out like a sore thumb?

I get it Jason but come on, 56k for a car that has been designed in such a way that this is even needed? So let’s see ok yes it’s required and we get past the design debate, why then install a patch like this that looks utterly dreadful and sticks out like a sore thumb?
Some manufacturers just build it into the design like an AC Cobra:
cobra.jpg

Reactions: KennethS
Honestly its never bothered me. Glad to have it on this and all the other cars i have had with it. Here is a picture of the skoda i had before the tesla.
Screenshot_20230530_121050_Photos.jpg

That’s not too bad mate, certainly far less obvious than what’s on this MY
the Y has quite a significant flair at the back so I guess it needs a larger area protected. I have a friend with an M2 competition which has a wide rear track that also has a large PPF areas for the same reason
1685452256289.png

1685452304708.png

You could probably have it replaced by a pro with some that is less obvious but I would not recommend doing without personally

the Y has quite a significant flair at the back so I guess it needs a larger area protected. I have a friend with an M2 competition which has a wide rear track that also has a large PPF areas for the same reason
View attachment 942404
View attachment 942405
You could probably have it replaced by a pro with some that is less obvious but I would not recommend doing without personally
Already been in touch with a couple places mate yeh.