Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My So my M3 broke down 2 days after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I preface this post by saying I’m a huge Musk, Tesla, and Model 3 supporter (obviously since I purchased one). I loved the car for the day and a half it was working, but I figured I should report my experience, one to see if there’s anyone out there that had the same experience, and perhaps bring attention to an issue that should have additional attention put on it during the QA process by Tesla for safety reasons

I picked up my car on Thursday night. While driving Saturday morning on the freeway, and on my way for a mini road trip to Vegas, my car gave me an error that there was a loss of power, that maintenance was required and advised my to pull over immediately. Well, I was in the middle of going through a winding interchange without a shoulder available, so it was about as bad as a spot to go lame on me as there was. For the next 30 mins, while I was waiting for CHP and the Tesla tow contractor to show up, my wife and I sat there strapped in our seatbelts watching car after car hitting that turn at a high speed and slamming their breaks or swerving to avoid rear ending out impotent car. Don’t even get me started on how me calling 911 took 30 mins for someone to show up.

Perhaps just as bad, I could almost feel the judgement of passerbyers looking at this clean sparkling Model 3 without even a license plate yet stranded with its hazard lights on, each probably thinking about the negative article they read about Tesla that was probably written by some desperate short seller, and reaffirming what they read, even though I suspect I’m in the .01%. I’m definitely not looking forward to speaking to my friends and colleagues who have been reading those same articles and are on the other end of my rebuttals and defense of Musk and Tesla.

Anyway, I’m still team Tesla all the way but I think I’m just going to shut up about it for a while now because my personal defense is really weakened. It was a scary situation, and while we were sitting there I wondered if Tesla would comp me a new car if I got slammed into due to failure of their system, or if I was screamed because I didn’t buy the GAP insurance.

For what it’s worth, our experience with the Service folks on the phone was good. They seemed genuinely panicked, perhaps because they could hear the panic in our own voices. The tow guy was good too, albeit a little slow to get to us given the circumstances. He took a double take when he saw the mileage on my car (less than 100 miles) and claimed that was extremely unusual. The service center folks were nice enough. We got a loaner car and we’re on our way pretty quickly after arriving at the Service Center. They said they were backed up on saturday so they won’t be able to see what happened until Monday. They mentioned they hadn’t encountered anything like our situation. I took that with a bit of a grain of salt but it’s plausible given the # of them out there.

I know there’s a lot of negativity about Tesla out there and believe me, I’m not trying to add to that, but I felt my situation was worth sharing. I’ll follow up this post once I find out what the issue was. I added pics of the messages I received

Attachments

• 7DC623D8-8711-4CFD-A4C8-B73C2A753EFC.jpeg
    7DC623D8-8711-4CFD-A4C8-B73C2A753EFC.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 508
  • CB5FD0B1-AFB2-48A0-9F2F-9F34FC59A56E.jpeg
    CB5FD0B1-AFB2-48A0-9F2F-9F34FC59A56E.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 384
Did the car actually die while driving, or did you stop of your own accord? If it was still driving, I’d have found a safer place to pull over, despite the seemingly dire messages. I’ve found that messages like these tend to be a little overly dramatic, which can cause some panic to the driver. Hope you get it fixed soon.

Was it not possible to put on the emergency lights and then immediately exit the vehicle and stand nearby? Why keep yourself in danger for thirty full minutes if you can get out and walk to a safer spot.

I have been poor enough in college and also more recently trying to save for a Model S, that I drove a few old and unreliable cars that would frequently stall out in a bad spot.
I did what I could to get them out of the road when it was safe to push them for the safety of myself and others. More than a few times this would involve rolling backwards downhill to the nearest side road when permitted by traffic. If not safe enough to push out of the way or roll downhill due to traffic or visibility issues in a corner, I would get out as soon as permitted by traffic. I got so good at push starting my 1990 VW Corrado in college around 1995, just the slightest little incline or a flat surface where I could push could get me going. That VW would really go through the batteries. However trying to push my 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 290k miles in 2010 by myself was very tough...

On a side note about rolling downhill, onetime during a road trip, I followed my Garmin GPS to a gas station that had closed about 10 years before I got there and then ran out of gas getting to the next station which was ten miles away. Luckily when I ran out a mile and a half from the second station, I was able to coast downhill, cross an intersection at a green light, and roll right up to the pump.

Last edited:
There is a ton on missing information here. The way that it reads is the new owner got error message, stopped the car in a dangerous spot and stayed in the car. Did you completely lose 100% of power instantly? I am guessing it was a bad drive unit and you should have driven it until there was a safe place to pull over. Either way I would have exited the vehicle for a safe place on the side of the road. You sitting in it is only risking your injury.

Sorry to hear about your issue and thanks for adding it the reported issues.

Yes the car completely died on me. I literally couldn’t drive it anymore. The screen was still functioning so the power wasn’t lost in that sense, but in terms of operating the vehicle there was no power whatsoever. Of course I would’ve attempted to drive to a safer place and pull over if I could, no way I wanted to sit on the end of a blind curve willingly.

It happened at the interchange uphill between the 2 and 134 in Los Angeles. If you’re familiar with the area, the interchange from the 2 elevates into the 134, meaning the other side of the guard rail is a steep hill. I considered getting out and getting on the other side of the rail, but the only place we’d have to stand is right against the rail since it drops steeply beyond that. That seemed more dangerous given someone could swerve into the railing, push our car into the railing, flying debris etc... I would not be able to roll the car downhill as I would roll it into oncoming traffic.

For what it’s worth from the moment the message appeared to when I was no longer able to accelerate was probably about 3-4 seconds. Just about enough time for me to process what was happening. Even if I processed it immediately, there was no where to go. I was already entering the interchange.

I mention this because while I’m definitely no genius, I promise you all I’m not a complete idiot. Even when CHP showed up and put their vehicle behind mine, they advised me to stay in the car and buckle up in case a collision with their car caused a chain collision with mine.

I know that interchange well - not too far away. I never thought about my car just stopping on one of those - some of those interchanges in L.A. are scary while driving, can't imagine being stranded on one.

I carry these in my car:

https://www.amazon.com/Heliar-Emerg...r=8-3&keywords=LED+Road+Flares+Emergency+Disc

You can put them down behind the car and hopefully people realize there is an issue ahead (of course, they work much better at night than during daylight).

• Helpful
Reactions: Jpjpjp
Providing an update to anyone who cares. They are replacing both the drive unit and battery pack. They said after it was brought in, the car malfunctioned even more and would no longer turn on. They tested the battery and it was no good. Why the drive unit was replaced too, I’m not sure. I suspect they replaced that first then when it still wasn’t working right, they tested the battery. Whatever it was hopefully it is resolved.

wow... and you only got the car 2 days ago!

Providing an update to anyone who cares. They are replacing both the drive unit and battery pack. They said after it was brought in, the car malfunctioned even more and would no longer turn on. They tested the battery and it was no good. Why the drive unit was replaced too, I’m not sure. I suspect they replaced that first then when it still wasn’t working right, they tested the battery. Whatever it was hopefully it is resolved.

I know that interchange well - not too far away. I never thought about my car just stopping on one of those - some of those interchanges in L.A. are scary while driving, can't imagine being stranded on one.

I carry these in my car:

https://www.amazon.com/Heliar-Emerg...r=8-3&keywords=LED+Road+Flares+Emergency+Disc

You can put them down behind the car and hopefully people realize there is an issue ahead (of course, they work much better at night than during daylight).

Maybe it should be standard with the car? There seems to be too many of these issues going on with new Tesla's.

A few weeks ago there was post from a model 3 buyer asking if it was safe to leave immediately for a road trip. I told him no, drive around for a few days to see if your car is going to work. Everyone else told him don't worry it will be fine. Sucks that these cars are so reliably unreliable, but that's the way it is. I'm sure they'll get your gremlins solved, but I would NOT take a road trip in the first few hundred miles of ownership.

$h!t happens. If it happens to you, it usually sucks more. The higher quality products Tesla produces, the less likely this is to happen. I don't think this is a common occurrence and I am glad Tesla has fixed it. Until it appears more than rare, there is no reason to get concerned.

Having said that, I would be very upset if this happened to me.

A few weeks ago there was post from a model 3 buyer asking if it was safe to leave immediately for a road trip. I told him no, drive around for a few days to see if your car is going to work. Everyone else told him don't worry it will be fine. Sucks that these cars are so reliably unreliable, but that's the way it is. I'm sure they'll get your gremlins solved, but I would NOT take a road trip in the first few hundred miles of ownership.

I would heed that advice with any new car.

That's really quite bizarre, especially because the battery is so heavily diagnosed during charging, during discharge, cell temperature, etc. I would have thought they would have caught this long before that pack ever wound up in a customer vehicle.

Perhaps this is a side-effect of trying to get production numbers up.

I drove mine 850 miles on day one. His story, while quite frustrating for him as it would be for anybody who got a new vehicle, is an anomaly.

Warranty periods are set to end before MTBF (mean time before failures).

Stuff will usually break immediately or after MTBF *most of the time*

That could happen to my Model 3 and I'll I'd still get another one with hesitation.

So breaking 2 days after getting it, is actually far more likely than 2 years after getting it.

Before you disagree, I'm talking about statistics not one persons anecdote.

Status
Not open for further replies.