Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My solar installer, Heliopower went bankrupt.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
I received a letter in the mail stating that my Solar Installer, Heliopower is declaring Chapter 11 and I am listed as a creditor of this debtor.

My system is installed and running. But I of course am concerned about worthless warranties and support going forward.

Any advice or guidance on what I should do?

Thanks

My system was installed almost three years ago. Early on, I had a problem with two panels the installer swapped out under warranty. I presume your panels came with a warranty, so maybe another company that reps or resells your brand panels, inverter/s or micro-inverters could provide warranty service. It's worth making a few calls. Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing
I'm currently "interviewing" solar companies and one of the things we ask is what happens if your company goes belly up, pretty much they all say that they have "million dollar" insurance policies that would protect us. I personally don't know how that works, but maybe you can start there.

Not all solar equipment warranties cover labor. Enphase specifically does not, last I heard. So, if your original installer has gone belly-up you would have to either remove and ship the failed product for replacement, or find a new installer that will do it for a reasonable fee. My installer, Solar Universe, said that they got a significant number of calls from people in this situation and they were happy to provide that service.

One other note. If you have anyone coming out to replace a panel or micro-inverter on your roof, make darn sure the company has insurance, they're bonded and their laborer is covered by workmen's comp. An installer that falls off your roof will most likely end up taking your house once he gets out of the hospital if his company didn't have him covered,:eek: at least in this state.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: MXWing
Here is the Chapter 11 notice I got.

Am I realistically able to get anything since I've "lost" any support or warranties or performance I am supposed to get through Heliopower?

Attachments

• Heliopower - Chapter 11.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 106
Ouch. Very sorry to hear this is happening to you.

But take heart: these very simple systems really are intrinsically bullet-resistant, if not bulletproof.

• Your panels* and their mounting rack are very, very likely not to cause you any trouble over their expected & (formerly)warranted life.
  • The Solar Edge inverter - something might come up, yes. Were it to happen, you might be looking at anything from a $100 to perhaps $400 repair bill.
And that's about all there is to it.

Lastly, can you tell us even a thumbnail sketch of Heliopower's warranty and service agreement?

* There is something I don't like: can you tell us why you have both Mitsubishi AND LG panels? It's a good idea never to mix panels, even those with only innocuous-seeming differences. Are they, perhaps, on separate strings and going into separate charge controllers (if you have batteries) or inverters?

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing and nwdiver
It's a good idea never to mix panels, even those with only innocuous-seeming differences. Are they, perhaps, on separate strings and going into separate charge controllers (if you have batteries) or inverters?

You can mix and match with solar-edge...

+1 to everything else... sleep soundly... Solar PV systems are one of the most maintenance and trouble-free things you can buy...

Ouch. Very sorry to hear this is happening to you.

But take heart: these very simple systems really are intrinsically bullet-resistant, if not bulletproof.

• Your panels* and their mounting rack are very, very likely not to cause you any trouble over their expected & (formerly)warranted life.
  • The Solar Edge inverter - something might come up, yes. Were it to happen, you might be looking at anything from a $100 to perhaps $400 repair bill.
And that's about all there is to it.

Lastly, can you tell us even a thumbnail sketch of Heliopower's warranty and service agreement?

* There is something I don't like: can you tell us why you have both Mitsubishi AND LG panels? It's a good idea never to mix panels, even those with only innocuous-seeming differences. Are they, perhaps, on separate strings and going into separate charge controllers (if you have batteries) or inverters?

Thank you for the comforting reply. I do hope that the systems having not too many mechanical parts would not wear out or break down easily.

I had an original system with Mitsubishi panels and two solar edge inverters.

I expanded the system later with the same company. It was a new set of LG panels connected to 3rd solar edge inverter added later as well.

No batteries. Hopefully powerwall in future. :)

NWDiver has more experience in the trenches than do I and I always listen to his opinions; regardless, I'm happy to hear your different panels fed separate inverters. How old is your system (s)?

NWDiver has more experience in the trenches than do I and I always listen to his opinions; regardless, I'm happy to hear your different panels fed separate inverters. How old is your system (s)?

How very kind :)

'The MPPT per module allows for flexible installation design with multiple orientations, tilts and module types in the same string.'

For further ease MXWing... with your solar edge system you have the added flexibility that in the unlikely event of a module failure you can simply swap it out with whatever is most convenient... I've only encountered 2 failed modules and they were both manufacturing defects...

Am I realistically able to get anything since I've "lost" any support or warranties or performance I am supposed to get through Heliopower?
That will depend on many factors. You will not know for a while. The trustee will lump similar claims together based on the legal priority.(secured unsecured subordinated). Your claim is probably unsecured and hopefully paid before the subordinated debt if any. You will get more than shareholders but your claim has to be validated and a value has to be determined.