Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My solar/powerwall install one year later

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BrettS

Mar 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
So I had my Tesla solar/powerwall system installed one year ago and I’ve gotten rather busy lately, so I haven’t spent much time here on the forum, but I wanted to provide some updates after a year. Here is my original thread documenting my ordering and install process:

Tesla had originally estimated that my system would produce 19,386 kWh annually and they came pretty close. According to the Tesla app I generated 18,897 kWh and according to the SolarEdge app I was at 19,400 kWh. The SolarEdge app has always indicated a bit more power than the Tesla app. It’s also worth noting that I started using my system in “extended off grid testing mode” on 6/25/20 and I didn’t officially turn on the system until I finally got PTO more than 2 months later on 9/3/20. I think I captured a lot of solar energy during those 2 months, but there were times when the system was off or the powerwalls were full and the inverters shut off, so I know that I could have generated a bit more power than I did. I’ll post an update on 9/3 to see how the numbers look for 365 days of full time operation.

Also of note, I wound up producing a little more power than I used. According to the Tesla app my house has only used 18,387 kWh. I was actually anticipating only producing about 60-80% of my annual usage, but because of covid I drove significantly less during this last year and didn’t need to charge my car nearly as much as I anticipated.

C27547DC-5F04-4A8F-A2F0-41715E0CF3BA.png

Finally, my best production day was May 7th when I produced 89.7 kWh according to the Tesla app or 91.8 kWh according to the SolarEdge app.

0A04D8CE-040C-49BF-B025-930FE86913CB.png

In contrast, my worst production day was April 11th when I only produced 6.1 kWh.

B99F7A58-18B1-450B-9AF1-063967CF6457.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the check in! For those who were not around last year, Brett knows a lot about “testing” prior to PTO. I dare say he’s an expert. :)
I have my sister "testing" before PTO. They're so efficient that they've been pretty much on a single Powerwall and 4 kW of solar for a couple of weeks now. The breaker to the grid has been off pretty much the entire time. The only thing they need to watch out for is running the electric oven and electric dryer at the same time (that, not surprisingly, tripped the Powerwall). There was a weird glitch where the solar wouldn't come on even though the battery clearly needed charging. It took a "power cycle" of the Powerwall to get be working again. Currently the Powerwall/Gateway curtails the solar by mid day.

Also of note, I wound up producing a little more power than I used. According to the Tesla app my house has only used 18,387 kWh. I was actually anticipating only producing about 60-80% of my annual usage, but because of covid I drove significantly less during this last year and didn’t need to charge my car nearly as much as I anticipated.
How much are you able to generate in any given moment?
Prior to my system breaking, the most I ever saw it generate was 14kw, but my normal high is just under 13kw.
On my 16kw system.

Since my system has been fixed, we've been in monsoon season so I haven't been able to see if there's any difference yet.

My 3 PW 8.16 KW system was installed on mid october and I ran it part time until december 19th when I got PTO. For one whole week I ran completely off grid in early November with no issues.

My max production in any one day was 57kWH on April 27th with a bunch of 57 kwh days in May. Today I'm lucky to get 50 kwh with 105F temps outside.
Max kw seen at any time was 7.9kW (247v x 32 amps) while on grid. Had a fair amount of clipping in later April and early May.