Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My solution to “fix” phantom braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course. Just saying it's an opportunity where they could spin those off into some log if the S2T sees "bug report". Though of course it wouldn't be accompanied by any status data they might want...
Okay, but what would be the point of capturing at the S2T stage? If they really cared about these bug reports (and I suspect they really don't), why not just wait until after it's been translated to text and send it at that point?

It was probably one thing when they had thousands of cars on the road, but with millions of cars on the road, the flood of incoming bug reports would be overwhelming. I suspect the same is true of phantom brake events as well. I'd be surprised if they aren't able to automatically (transparently) pull phantom brake events from the fleet for analysis and training.

Reactions: CharleyBC
PB occurs when the guidance determined is NOT beyond any resonable doubt, and not because it determined that there is an obstruction beyond reasonable doubt. I hope that makes sense.
and if you want to recreate PB, go on a road that is like a 🎢 roller coaster with ups & downs. You should get a PB as visibility will catch empty sky & barely if any of the road elements while almost uphill. This happened to me on a super steep interchange recently.

Reactions: cmy4x4
Are you part of the FSD beta? If you are, I find it hard to believe that the car has not braked for no reason at all. It is a big problem for Tesla's vision only system and there are tons of threads about it here.

and if you want to recreate PB, go on a road that is like a 🎢 roller coaster with ups & downs. You should get a PB as visibility will catch empty sky & barely if any of the road elements while almost uphill
I've only been in FSDb since June. I've not had an incident of what I'd call PB. Sure, it has occasionally, although rarely, slowed by 10 MPH for unexplained reasons but it's nowhere near the point I'd be concerned about getting rear-ended. Never like a "slam the brakes" kind of slowdown. And that includes roads with rolling hills. Yes, it does slow if it cannot see the road markings over the hill but I've not seen it slow dramatically or dangerously. I've even driven 2-lane twisty hilly roads where 18-wheelers frequent trying to duplicate I cannot explain why some like me don't consider this to be a major problem while so many others call it "unusable". I'm certainly not suggesting that it's not happening to many folks - only that it doesn't for me, unless PB includes these minor slow downs. I assume PB in this context is much more than a slight slow down.

Then again, the auto wipers/headlights work well 99.9% of the time. There must be other factors in play here - maps, paint, speed, geographics, maybe my own tolerances/preferences. I don't get it.

Reactions: enemji
I've only been in FSDb since June. I've not had an incident of what I'd call PB. Sure, it has occasionally, although rarely, slowed by 10 MPH for unexplained reasons but it's nowhere near the point I'd be concerned about getting rear-ended. Never like a "slam the brakes" kind of slowdown. And that includes roads with rolling hills. Yes, it does slow if it cannot see the road markings over the hill but I've not seen it slow dramatically or dangerously. I've even driven 2-lane twisty hilly roads where 18-wheelers frequent trying to duplicate I cannot explain why some like me don't consider this to be a major problem while so many others call it "unusable". I'm certainly not suggesting that it's not happening to many folks - only that it doesn't for me, unless PB includes these minor slow downs. I assume PB in this context is much more than a slight slow down.

Then again, the auto wipers/headlights work well 99.9% of the time. There must be other factors in play here - maps, paint, speed, geographics, maybe my own tolerances/preferences. I don't get it.
I have the very same experience as yours on my 2xM3LR using AP/TACC. I do not have FSD or FSDb.

I know this gets discussed relentlessly but I drive mostly Highway and cruise control is my best friend.

Is phantom braking going to be a big annoyance to me?
It really depends.

I’ve drove about 4500 miles from AZ to VT with 0 PB then VT to FL with 1 PB. The 1 PB was pretty harmless, light traffic no one behind me, car self corrected.

Other times I have about 40 mile trip to visit my wife’s dad and it will consistently so it twice in the same spots.

I know this gets discussed relentlessly but I drive mostly Highway and cruise control is my best friend.

Is phantom braking going to be a big annoyance to me?
Rent a tesla and drive your commute on AP. See what happens. Know that the system is constantly being updated so your experience today will vary from your experience tomorrow.

I use it every day on my commute and it's great.

Reactions: DroopyMallard