Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My solution to lifting the parcel shelf lid automatically when the hatch is raised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having experimented with a number of approaches for raising the hinged part of the parcel shelf when the rear hatch is opened I finally arrived at a solution that I think looks reasonably good, is easy to do, and works beautifully.

The first challenge was finding something to attach to the edge of the parcel shelf that would look decent when hooked up and had a simple means of attaching thread linked to the top of the hatch. After a lot of searching I found this:

91-704E-90.jpg

_DSC4209.JPG

Yes, it’s for a corset, but the black material and little steel loop attachment seem perfect for what I had in mind. I cut off a 2 1.5 inch sections. each with one loop, and glued them to the back of the hinged part of the shelf.

I bought 100lb test woven nylon fishing line to attach the loop to a small screw on the top sides of the plastic surround for the rear hatch. The line is looped around the screw and the screw head tightened on the thread so it can’t come off.

Then I threaded the lines to loops on the corset material glue to the backs of the hinged shelf part. But that wasn’t going to be satisfactory. As I often transport my dog in that space, and have to remove the parcel shelf when I do, I had to make the attachments easily removable, which meant finding a quick and simple way to disconnect the lines to the the parcel shelf. I puzzled over that for a while until realized that I had a few snap-in black plastic lanyard connections I had bought to hang the Tesla fob around my neck. So I added these to the lines near the corset material and voila. When I need to remove the shelf I unsnap each side. The lines then hang down out of the way.

_DSC4208.JPG

_DSC4201.JPG

_DSC4204.JPG

_DSC4205.JPG

_DSC4207.JPG

_DSC4202.JPG

Attachments

• _DSC4206.JPG
    _DSC4206.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 861
Following in artsci's footsteps, here's what I have so far.

I plan to make this more permanent once I've had a chance to test different points to pull up the parcel shelf.

I chose do grab install mine on the bottom section and have some of the double-sided tape attach to the thicker carpet area. This way if it pulls it will be much harder to rip the thinner material.

Another thought I had was to drill a hole right through. Have you thought of doing it that way? We can then use something like this so that it lasts forever: HTS Systems thermoplastic polymer fastening challenges solved with Sharp-Sert® metal inserts from Yardley Products

IMG_5097 - Version 2.jpg
IMG_5098 - Version 2.jpg

Following in artsci's footsteps, here's what I have so far.

I plan to make this more permanent once I've had a chance to test different points to pull up the parcel shelf.

I chose do grab install mine on the bottom section and have some of the double-sided tape attach to the thicker carpet area. This way if it pulls it will be much harder to rip the thinner material.

Another thought I had was to drill a hole right through. Have you thought of doing it that way? We can then use something like this so that it lasts forever: HTS Systems thermoplastic polymer fastening challenges solved with Sharp-Sert® metal inserts from Yardley Products

I would advise you not to drill a hole. I did that in an earlier attempt and it made a mess of the edge. The parcel shelf material is very soft not of very good quality. As a result I now have two parcel shelves:)