Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Solution to the Blind Spot Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• 2E986117-0EE6-45D3-A1D3-2BA7FA7EB932.jpeg
    2E986117-0EE6-45D3-A1D3-2BA7FA7EB932.jpeg
    397.1 KB · Views: 767
I put on something similar. It is helpful and is also useful when the auto dimming mirrors go black on me. If there were some sort of way to replace the side mirrors altogether with a wide angle view that doesn’t dim, that’d be ideal. I hear there’s some sort of different European regulation about side mirrors. If those are better, I’d pay to have them installed.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
The problem with on screen alerts is that the screen is the LAST place you should be looking if you are trying to move over to another lane. It is crazy to me that the car doesn't have proper blind spot warning.

For me, the top left corner of the screen is still well in my peripheral vision even when i'm looking at either side mirror. If there was a flashing red indicator near the speedometer I would certainly notice it.

What blind spot? Try setting up your mirrors so the inside corners of the outside mirrors overlap the outside corners of the rear view mirror.

You don't need them to overlap. You just want your side mirrors to start covering the area wider than the rear view mirror can see so as soon as a car leaves your rear view mirror he's in your side mirrors.

I let them overlap a very small amount. Call me paranoid but it helps because of the different angles that the rear and side mirrors see. But I do see your point, they technically do not need to overlap since cars and trucks are fairly large objects and should show up fine without overlap.

You don't need them to overlap. You just want your side mirrors to start covering the area wider than the rear view mirror can see so as soon as a car leaves your rear view mirror he's in your side mirrors.

• Disagree
Reactions: dave999z
I'm 5' 9" and don't have an issue with blind spots. As a matter of fact, I simply glance left (or right) when switching lanes. Rarely do I have to look back. Been driving like this for a very long time without a single issue. Model 3 no different. I think my Model S was the toughest though, tougher than the model 3 to set up. (Though the Model 3 has the worst rear view visibility if you care about what might be directly in front of the rear of the car, that area is a huge blind spot.)

That’s is flat out incorrect for me and many others.

It does seem to be an issue related to the height of the driver and seems to affect those over 6’ more so than short drivers.

I put on something similar. It is helpful and is also useful when the auto dimming mirrors go black on me. If there were some sort of way to replace the side mirrors altogether with a wide angle view that doesn’t dim, that’d be ideal. I hear there’s some sort of different European regulation about side mirrors. If those are better, I’d pay to have them installed.

Most cars in Europe have a gradual transition from a flat mirror to a spherical mirror, in the US, there has to be a separation so if you look at a car like a Ford Escape there is a separate spherical mirror placed in the corner next to the flat mirror. On my e92 m3, the EU version has the outside edge as spherical but the US version is just 1 single normal mirror.
Here is a more detailed explanation if you're interested : Boxster Aspheric Mirror Page
I'm curious if Tesla's in Europe have similar mirrors...anyone know?

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod