TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

My Solution to the Blind Spot Problem

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Moose408, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Moose408

Moose408 Member

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  2. ftlum

ftlum Member

I put on something similar. It is helpful and is also useful when the auto dimming mirrors go black on me. If there were some sort of way to replace the side mirrors altogether with a wide angle view that doesn’t dim, that’d be ideal. I hear there’s some sort of different European regulation about side mirrors. If those are better, I’d pay to have them installed.

3. zhu-

zhu- Member

The lack of blind spot indicators on the side mirrors are a big mistake. I hope they at least continue improving the software for on-screen alerts to be more prominent and audible.

• Like x 10
    • Informative x 1
  4. ppower

ppower Member

The problem with on screen alerts is that the screen is the LAST place you should be looking if you are trying to move over to another lane. It is crazy to me that the car doesn't have proper blind spot warning.

• Like x 7
  5. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

I wonder how fast the LCD dimming can be cycled? Fast enough to act like a flashing side mirror?

• Like x 2
  6. wenkan

wenkan Member

Many times I can just hear whether there is a (ICE) car in my blind spot. May not work for another EV though.

• Funny x 1
  7. ba2002

ba2002 Member

Good point, I didn't realize the lack of noise insulation was an intended feature.

• Funny x 3
  8. zhu-

zhu- Member

For me, the top left corner of the screen is still well in my peripheral vision even when i'm looking at either side mirror. If there was a flashing red indicator near the speedometer I would certainly notice it.

• Like x 1
  9. bradhs

bradhs Member

What blind spot? Try setting up your mirrors so the inside corners of the outside mirrors overlap the outside corners of the rear view mirror.

• Like x 7
    • Disagree x 6
  10. Moose408

Moose408 Member

Well I would love to but the side mirrors do not have the range of montion required to do that. I need them to angle another 4-5* out from the car.

• Like x 2
  11. StellarRat

StellarRat Active Member

They work for me. Maybe you have bad mirrors?? I could go further out even.

12. bradhs

bradhs Member

Moose408 is right, I'm at the most extreme position but that's how it is in all my cars (including our BMW.) Maybe it's just my seating position. Though it's just enough.

13. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

Also works fine for me, but I'm not particularly tall or short, and my seating position is not extreme.

14. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

You don't need them to overlap. You just want your side mirrors to start covering the area wider than the rear view mirror can see so as soon as a car leaves your rear view mirror he's in your side mirrors.

15. bradhs

bradhs Member

I let them overlap a very small amount. Call me paranoid but it helps because of the different angles that the rear and side mirrors see. But I do see your point, they technically do not need to overlap since cars and trucks are fairly large objects and should show up fine without overlap.

• Disagree x 1
  16. CAAD

CAAD Member

The rearview mirror is lacking. If the side mirrors cannot cover blind spots, can the rearview mirror be replaced for a wider one?

17. bradhs

bradhs Member

a) The side mirrors do cover the blind spots.
    b) replacing the rear view mirror won't help since you still have the c pillars to contend with.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  18. Moose408

Moose408 Member

That’s is flat out incorrect for me and many others.

It does seem to be an issue related to the height of the driver and seems to affect those over 6’ more so than short drivers.

• Like x 2
  19. bradhs

bradhs Member

I'm 5' 9" and don't have an issue with blind spots. As a matter of fact, I simply glance left (or right) when switching lanes. Rarely do I have to look back. Been driving like this for a very long time without a single issue. Model 3 no different. I think my Model S was the toughest though, tougher than the model 3 to set up. (Though the Model 3 has the worst rear view visibility if you care about what might be directly in front of the rear of the car, that area is a huge blind spot.)

20. viperssd

viperssd Member

Most cars in Europe have a gradual transition from a flat mirror to a spherical mirror, in the US, there has to be a separation so if you look at a car like a Ford Escape there is a separate spherical mirror placed in the corner next to the flat mirror. On my e92 m3, the EU version has the outside edge as spherical but the US version is just 1 single normal mirror.
    Here is a more detailed explanation if you're interested : Boxster Aspheric Mirror Page
    I'm curious if Tesla's in Europe have similar mirrors...anyone know?