Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Solution to the Blind Spot Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to an 2017 IIHS study:
"Controlling for other factors that can affect crash risk, blind spot detection lowers the rate of all lane-change crashes by 14 percent and the rate of lane-change crashes with injuries by 23 percent."

For manual driving, there is no good justification for Tesla not having a Blind Spot Detection system as effective as the legacy manufacturers like Fiat Chrysler, GM, Honda, Mazda, Mercedes and Volvo vehicles.

Note to Elon: Have the software engineers that are working in the next series of games / Easter eggs start work on getting an audible blind spot warning system installed. I'd accept some false positives at first but if there's something actually there in the lane next to me (a car, motorcycle, truck or even a wall), I want to know about it 100% of the time.

I just want this if there is a car in the left or right lane, if I am signaling or not.

Attachments

• C4763338-080F-44DD-9E76-709A608A51EC.jpeg
    C4763338-080F-44DD-9E76-709A608A51EC.jpeg
    718.7 KB · Views: 183
I have talked in other threads about the issue that the driver side mirror does not rotate out far enough thus creating a blind spot on the driver’s side. Although I hate the solution it does solve the problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HEC3O0Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
We got the permanent solution that you'll love :). OEM replacement mirror that's not a stick- on that interferes with the view and compromises the aesthetic look.

Here is the link www.sumaperformance.com

Last edited:
Glad someone's solving the problem. Honestly, wide angle mirrors don't even need tint because headlights create less glare on a convex mirror. I think I'm going to hold off until I can get the proper OE solution, as I don't feel like doing a wire splice *and* losing my dimming. A bit hokey, IMO. If I could get just one side (driver's side-only) I'd probably do that to use for the short term while I wait for a proper OE mirror.

Reactions: Curb71
Glad someone's solving the problem. Honestly, wide angle mirrors don't even need tint because headlights create less glare on a convex mirror. I think I'm going to hold off until I can get the proper OE solution, as I don't feel like doing a wire splice *and* losing my dimming. A bit hokey, IMO. If I could get just one side (driver's side-only) I'd probably do that to use for the short term while I wait for a proper OE mirror.
Plug and play, no need to to splice unless getting the turn signal feature. Our blue tint reduced glare without overcompensating to make mirrors too dark at times.

fwiw i got in on the 1st batch whenever that was so i've been driving with them for at least a month i think. I'm happy with the results.

My biggest concern was installation and it was really easy. if you have a car trim remover kit it's fairly simple. the sumas don't lock in as tight as the OEMs and that concerned me at first but they haven't fallen off. What surprised me was that it gave me a slight headache when driving. i guess because there is this constant movement that I wasn't seeing before. I did get used to it after a week or so. I don't even notice the blue tint any more. I have 30% tint so i did not like the dimming feature on the OEMs.