Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Solution to the Blind Spot Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if the mirror glass could be removed and a wedge spacer added to make the mirrors angle out farther. I'm 6'3" and I've got them maxed out and it's ok but not quite enough. It's weird since my seat isn't even close to all the way back.

I wonder if the mirror glass could be removed and a wedge spacer added to make the mirrors angle out farther. I'm 6'3" and I've got them maxed out and it's ok but not quite enough. It's weird since my seat isn't even close to all the way back.
That backing plate of the mirror glass is directly connect to the motor controlling the glass directions. Inserting a wedge space might work ,but the motor ability is compromised.

Our solution replaces OEM mirror glass with our full, wide angle/convex mirror glass.
Below is a picture from a user, who might be on this forum. Can you tell the difference?

BeforeAfter.png

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
on a tangent, does anyone dislike the auto-dimming side and rear mirrors?

specifically, the fact that the dimming field is only portion of the glass? because of the contrast difference, i cant quite glance at/through the entire glass at once, so the apparent usable mirror is smaller than it is. it gives the impression that some protective layer is still on the mirrors.

What blind spot? Try setting up your mirrors so the inside corners of the outside mirrors overlap the outside corners of the rear view mirror.

That's not the problem area. The problem exists when the image of the passing car leaves your side view mirror, but hasn't yet entered your peripheral vision.

I did research because I didn't want to add a stick-on, but couldn't get around the fact that a car could fit into that invisible space.

I also solved the problem with a convex stick-on for a few dollars. It just works. Perfectly. It doesn't need to be large or elongated.

I have talked in other threads about the issue that the driver side mirror does not rotate out far enough thus creating a blind spot on the driver’s side. Although I hate the solution it does solve the problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HEC3O0Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got these. They are perfect!
I originally got a set of circular ones from Abstract Ocean. They stuck on real good, but they were too distorted, too convex & pointed.

These long ones can be angled independently, and give a wide - but not crazy distorted - view.

• Informative
How hard was it to remove the circular ones?

Oh that was an ordeal, lol. The instructions said to just slide some floss behind them but they wouldn't come off (and floss hurts your fingers when you use force....)

I wound up sliding a small tweezer like tool behind them enough to pry them out a little, then using a spudger to pry them the rest of the way. I was worried the tweezer thing would scratch the glass but it didn't.

• Informative
I got the Suma Performance mirrors for my 3, blue tinted (which I actually like) - very weird the first minute or 2 but now I find them very useful

I still think the lack of an indicator BEFORE signaling is a short coming; our Audi A3 has those in-mirror lights and they are helpful in providing you with another data point. Signaling and then finding out you missed a car right there is kinda lame and probably has the other driver wondering WTF with that Tesla driver (well if they were paying any attention)

I say this even though my mirrors are adjusted correctly and I mostly do double check by re-aiming my head but I still lament the lack of those subtle but unmistakable little lights in the mirror.

Oh that was an ordeal, lol. The instructions said to just slide some floss behind them but they wouldn't come off (and floss hurts your fingers when you use force....)

I wound up sliding a small tweezer like tool behind them enough to pry them out a little, then using a spudger to pry them the rest of the way. I was worried the tweezer thing would scratch the glass but it didn't.

I had the circular from Abstract Ocean too but never got comfortable with it especially at night as the mirror was too small. So I did the floss and it removed pretty easily. The trick is to wrap the floss all around and then tighten the like a knot.

I then got the mirrors from the OP’s amazon link and they are so much better! Finally feel comfortable with lane changes using my left mirror now.

Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: TydalForce