Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My source of rattle coming from rear of Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I found what was causing the mystery rattle that I hear coming from the rear of my 1 month old car.

I tried adjusting hatch stops, applying grease between seats to prevent rubbing noise, took out rear headrests to rule that out, applied felt tape to few trims inside including license plate frame but nothing really helped. Tried tapping underneath the rear of the car on the plastic shield and it sounded just like what I hear inside the car going over rough surfaces. Closer inspection showed that it’s missing a screw. Scheduled mobile service appointment for next week for them to fix. Hopefully this is it - fingers crossed.

Video below:

Hi same with me, had this rattle in my car when going down local roads and over bumps. The car seemed fine on the motorway. Anyway I’ve managed to fix it now and it was very simple.
Put your rear seat belts into the fixing as though there is a passenger there. Also lift your 2 rear head rests up very slightly. Now drive your car and hopefully you will find the rattles disappear. Let me know if it works. By process of elimination it will be one of these causing your issue

• Helpful
Reactions: JeffnReno
Hi same with me, had this rattle in my car when going down local roads and over bumps. The car seemed fine on the motorway. Anyway I’ve managed to fix it now and it was very simple.
Put your rear seat belts into the fixing as though there is a passenger there. Also lift your 2 rear head rests up very slightly. Now drive your car and hopefully you will find the rattles disappear. Let me know if it works. By process of elimination it will be one of these causing your issue
I had a rattle noise - Service found it to be the rear headrest. Take it into service

Mine was the seatbelts in the back rattling against the side panel. I got some seatbelt guides on etsy that attach under the headrests -- solved the problem entirely. Only downside is that it's slightly less convenient when you fold the seats down.

Mine was the seatbelts in the back rattling against the side panel. I got some seatbelt guides on etsy that attach under the headrests -- solved the problem entirely. Only downside is that it's slightly less convenient when you fold the seats down.

I have the same seatbelt guides. Works very well at avoiding seatbelts hitting the model y plastic panels. The construction / 3D print seems solid too.