Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My SR+ only has 45kW of usable battery.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just did a rundown of my SR plus from 97% to 7% and noticed it only used 41kw of power. Doing basic math this works about to roughly 45kW if drained from 100-0. 45kW essentially nets me just over 200-202 miles at 219w/mi. I did this with zero HVAC and did not even touch the heated seats option.

From what’s posted online, The actual pack size should be 54kw with roughly 3kw locked off. 6kW Seems a bit excessive for battery degradation on a pack this small. Funny, that’s how much my Prius prime uses for 28 miles on full EV. Anyone else did a run down and what are your results?

June 2019 SR+
14k miles.

3947AB60-E6BE-487C-8600-9C5AF889228F.jpeg

1) Must be a continuous drive as stated.

2) Have to multiply trip meter kWh by the 2019 SR+ ratio of ~219/209 to get equivalent battery kWh.

3) It is easiest to just take your rated miles at 100% and multiply by 219Wh/rmi to calculate your capacity. However, there are reasons to do your experiment occasionally.

4) Your capacity when new was probably around 53-54kWh.

• Helpful
Reactions: Zoomit
Just did a rundown of my SR plus from 97% to 7% and noticed it only used 41kw of power. Doing basic math this works about to roughly 45kW if drained from 100-0. 45kW essentially nets me just over 200-202 miles at 219w/mi. I did this with zero HVAC and did not even touch the heated seats option.

From what’s posted online, The actual pack size should be 54kw with roughly 3kw locked off. 6kW Seems a bit excessive for battery degradation on a pack this small. Funny, that’s how much my Prius prime uses for 28 miles on full EV. Anyone else did a run down and what are your results?

June 2019 SR+
14k miles.

View attachment 499258
Totally jelly of your consumption...
also, This isn’t uncommon.

As personally tested per the same display:
P3D+ — 68kWh
Mid Range — 56kWh

Yes. This was a single session.

What is your rated miles @ 100%?

If all the numbers above are really correct, I would expect that you are at about 217 rated miles at 100%, which represents about 9.5% nominal loss of capacity (and perhaps 12% true loss of capacity). (Battery is at 47.5kWh compared to original 54kWh.)

But this projection is subject to a LOT of extrapolation and rounding errors. Easiest just to provide your rated miles at 90-100%. That provides the needed info.

Math:
(181mi*226Wh(trip)/mi)/0.9 * 219Wh(charge)/rmi/209Wh(trip)/rmi = 47.6kWh(charge)

Last edited:
One other thing

You say you didn't use the HVAC, but are you sure you didn't use the heat? It's been cold in So Call the last couple of weeks. Yes, I know nowhere near as cold as many other parts of the country, but still cold enough to not need SOME kind of heat.

Unless you temperature controls were turned completely off, I'll bet there was some cabin heating taking place and that sucks a fair amount of power.

Unless you temperature controls were turned completely off, I'll bet there was some cabin heating taking place and that sucks a fair amount of power.

This would not have any impact on this experiment. It would only increase consumption and reduce range. Does not affect available battery energy, to first order (of course for very high draw internal battery resistance will have slightly more loss but this will be very small - consumption number here was very low).

June 2019 SR+
14k miles.

View attachment 499258

Everyone is experiencing this every day, more or less. Like @AlanSubie4Life asked above, did you run it down in a continuous drive or not? If so, you have battery degradation problem; If not, especially if this was drained in few days, then totally normal. Sounds like you have 5kWh (52kWh x 90% - 41kWh = 5.8kWh) battery loss while not driving. As I tracked for my last seven months, battery loss while not driving is about 5kWh/per day (I'm not charging everyday and daily drive is not long).

One other thing

You say you didn't use the HVAC, but are you sure you didn't use the heat? It's been cold in So Call the last couple of weeks. Yes, I know nowhere near as cold as many other parts of the country, but still cold enough to not need SOME kind of heat.

Yes, it was off completely. I wore a jacket if that makes any difference. :D

Reactions: ElectricIAC
What is your rated miles @ 100%?

If all the numbers above are really correct, I would expect that you are at about 217 rated miles at 100%, which represents about 9.5% nominal loss of capacity (and perhaps 12% true loss of capacity). (Battery is at 47.5kWh compared to original 54kWh.)

But this projection is subject to a LOT of extrapolation and rounding errors. Easiest just to provide your rated miles at 90-100%. That provides the needed info.

Math:
(181mi*226Wh(trip)/mi)/0.9 * 219Wh(charge)/rmi/209Wh(trip)/rmi = 47.6kWh(charge)

Full Range at 100% shows 223. I've seen it dip as low as 214 from random checks on Stats app. Yes this was all done on a single session.

Totally jelly of your consumption...
also, This isn’t uncommon.

As personally tested per the same display:
P3D+ — 68kWh
Mid Range — 56kWh

It's quite efficient and sometimes I can do 209wh/mi weekly. What slightly bothers me is trying to hit 200miles on a single charge seems near impossible with the cars rated at 240miles. This is why I set it to % instead of miles, but doing a test like this makes me ever so slightly worried about battery health.

Everyone is experiencing this every day, more or less. Like @AlanSubie4Life asked above, did you run it down in a continuous drive or not? If so, you have battery degradation problem; If not, especially if this was drained in few days, then totally normal. Sounds like you have 5kWh (52kWh x 90% - 41kWh = 5.8kWh) battery loss while not driving. As I tracked for my last seven months, battery loss while not driving is about 5kWh/per day (I'm not charging everyday and daily drive is not long).

Yes, this was a single session from start to finish with a small 30min break in between. Sentry was off during that break. Was watching the consumption the whole time. using 90% of the battery netted me 41kwh of useable energy based off the numbers provided.

Full Range at 100% shows 223. I've seen it dip as low as 214 from random checks on Stats app. Yes this was all done on a single session.

Based on these stats, the discharge constant is probably closer to 205Wh/rmi (the reason it is a little lower than the expected 209Wh/rmi is that there are some losses which are not counted). I don't have an SR+ myself so I have no way to measure it. That being said, since you were using % rather than rated miles, the precision is relatively low here. But definitely it is less than 209Wh/rmi (which is the actual energy contained in each rated mile based on full pack projections & CAN readbacks) - which would be consistent with what we see with the P/AWD.

181mi*226Wh/mi / 0.9 * 223rmi = 204Wh/rmi (but again, there is a lot of error possible on that "0.9" number - it could easily be 89.5% (or even 89% since we're talking about the difference of 97% (rounded) and 7% (rounded) ). And to do these calculations you probably want to start with a warm battery as well to eliminate temperature effects which could be misinterpreted.

Anyway, full range of 223 rated miles means 7-9% loss of capacity; 48.8kWh vs. the original ~54kWh. Maybe we should update the thread title (and fix the units too!)? ;)

To get the full range you'd need to average around 205Wh/mi on the trip meter. (But that would be down to 0 rated miles - and potentially you could drive a 5-10 miles further at that point if you weren't moving too fast - you have the buffer energy, which it is absolutely not recommended that you test for.)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Yes, this was a single session from start to finish with a small 30min break in between. Sentry was off during that break. Was watching the consumption the whole time. using 90% of the battery netted me 41kwh of useable energy based off the numbers provided.

Hmm, only 30 minutes break would not drain that much (5kWh if I calculated correctly) IMO. My car sitting in the garage with -7C this morning for 4 hours and drain 2kWh. That was already an extreme I would imagine (my overnight loss was less than 1kWh). Seems like your battery do have some degradation, around 5/54.5 = 9%.

Last edited:
Yes. This was a single session.

You need more than one data point to prove you have a problem.

So basically charge to 80% (or 90%) and drive the car to 20% or 30% and look at your usage in kWh.
Going from 80% to 30% uses 50% (duh) so you should use up half the kWh of the battery. If its a lot less you might have an issue.

If you run the test a few times, and consistently see less kWh than expected, time to book a service appointment and have it checked out.
However, it is best if those tests were on a road trips or long commute, to avoid non-driving electric usage messing up your diagnosis. Seems like you use Sentry Mode, so that'll impact your non-driving electric usage, for example. As will leaving on Summon Standby mode.

We have seen very rare reports of cars with less battery than was installed, and that required a Service Center visit to fix.

Any chance you have, whether deliberately or accidentally, SR instead of SR+?