Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My SR+ vs LR loaner driving experience - wow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a '21 MIC M3 SR+ which I have been slowly running out of love with. It's been in the service centre for numerous rattles, vibrations and squeaks and I'm slowly losing faith in it. If it's not driving me mad with squeaking it's nice, but a bit of a uncomfortable bumpy ride on most, esepcially country roads.

I dropped my car off at a service centre this morning and was given a '20 LR loaner and wow, it's a much nicer different experience. I thought it would just be faster, and it is faster, but it's not just that. The LR feels grounded on the road and the ride is more comfortable, it eats the bumps without bouncing the car around. Is this purely due to the weight, extra motor at the front and AWD vs RWD?

I was already shopping around, I test drove the KIA EV6 GT and was scheduling a test drive of a '18/'19 Model S. How does the driving experience of a '20/21 3 LR compare to an '18/19 S and how do they compare to the Y?

I have a Model 3 LR, I test drove a Y and it was pretty good. There was a small amount body roll taking a mini roundabout, not something I'm at all used to but it wasn't a big deal. I had an S as a loaner a while back and the size made it feel very different from the 3, less precise.

After careful consideration I replaced my 2019 Model 3 LR with a 2022 Model 3 LR, there isn't much I care to have 'improved'. I also tried the Acceleration Boost recently and didn't like it. Probably the trial period is too short to really become dialed in to a new amount of power. Confirmed for me that it wasn't worth £1500 to scare myself.

What did you think of the Kia EV6 GT by the way?

I was thinking of getting a test drive, but all they've got is a GT Line, and it's the main sales guy's runabout so I doubt I'll get an extended test drive.

I have a '21 MIC M3 SR+ which I have been slowly running out of love with. It's been in the service centre for numerous rattles, vibrations and squeaks and I'm slowly losing faith in it. If it's not driving me mad with squeaking it's nice, but a bit of a uncomfortable bumpy ride on most, esepcially country roads.

I dropped my car off at a service centre this morning and was given a '20 LR loaner and wow, it's a much nicer different experience. I thought it would just be faster, and it is faster, but it's not just that. The LR feels grounded on the road and the ride is more comfortable, it eats the bumps without bouncing the car around. Is this purely due to the weight, extra motor at the front and AWD vs RWD?

I was already shopping around, I test drove the KIA EV6 GT and was scheduling a test drive of a '18/'19 Model S. How does the driving experience of a '20/21 3 LR compare to an '18/19 S and how do they compare to the Y?
I don’t think that’s a SR / LR issue… I’ve driven both and couldn’t tell a difference in ride comfort (or lack of!)

Reactions: Chickenlips
meh. I got few rattles on my 2022 LR. it's booked for the service on Thursday.

probably half of the car should be re-assembled with felt padding in order to get rid of all those... :D
Mines been in twice to get rattles in the rear of the cabin sorted, I’ve given up now.

What did you think of the Kia EV6 GT by the way?

I was thinking of getting a test drive, but all they've got is a GT Line, and it's the main sales guy's runabout so I doubt I'll get an extended test drive.

It's a very comfortable ride compared to the Model 3. It felt like a step backwards for me though; you have to use a key, there's an on/off button, there is only a tiny sun roof in the GT Line S which doesn't let much light in, the built in sat nav is awful so you have to use Apple CarPlay (wired, not wireless!) and the dashboard/cabin is cluttered with buttons all over the place.

The highway assistance worked well with lane changes and the cruise control was better than a current Model 3; no awful lurching stop/starting, but I won't be getting one. It felt like getting back into an ICE car, I was instantly relived when I sat back in my Model 3 with it's bright open cabin. The only thing I wish was better in my Model 3 was the ride comfort.

Par the the course. Same on my 2021 Model 3 LR.

The service centre is now applying noise insulting tape on all the doors because there are lots of contact points apparently, it's common for the doors to rattle. They are also replacing the drivers seat because they cannot fix the squeaks coming from it. This is the 3rd or 4th service centre visit related to rattles, in 14 months of ownership.

I have a Model 3 LR, I test drove a Y and it was pretty good. There was a small amount body roll taking a mini roundabout, not something I'm at all used to but it wasn't a big deal. I had an S as a loaner a while back and the size made it feel very different from the 3, less precise.

After careful consideration I replaced my 2019 Model 3 LR with a 2022 Model 3 LR, there isn't much I care to have 'improved'. I also tried the Acceleration Boost recently and didn't like it. Probably the trial period is too short to really become dialed in to a new amount of power. Confirmed for me that it wasn't worth £1500 to scare myself.

Would you choose a Model Y over a Model S? My brother in law has a Model Y, so I might ask for a test drive when he's back from holiday.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
Thanks. A bit disappointing to hear about the EV6 GT, I was contemplating taking a break from Tesla until they actually deliver on some promises here, and it appealed.

I wonder how long it'll be before other manufacturers realise that people don't want a million controls in their cars anymore.

To give Tesla credit where it's due - their cars feel like the first iPhone compared to everything else that was around at the time. It took a while before those manufacturers adapted to one button and a full size screen, but nowadays they're all like that.

Of course one could make an argument that Tesla went too far removing stuff (and sounds like it might be going even further - possibly removing stalks from 3/Y) and some controls really ought to be easier to adjust without using the screen. In the main though I don't find myself missing a mess of buttons, so Tesla got that right as far as I'm concerned.

The only exception to that imo BMW's iDrive. Each one I've driven with that system has been sublime. They've really nailed that way of interfacing with the screen.

Reactions: DM206433
I drove a 2020 Made in USA Model 3 RWD for two years and have replaced it with a 2022-02 Model 3 RWD Made in China.

The 2020 one was good, had a visit to the Service Center due to a slight rattling noise under the dashboard, quickly repaired on the spot. I was happy with it, but glued in some additional door seals to reduce wind noise and dirt. I also added two original Tesla anti-wind-noise parts under the frunk lid that came standard in later cars and are quite effective.

When I got the new one, I noticed a few differences. The manufacturing was perfect—no rattling, nothing loose, everything fits. There is a lot less wind noise; the car was much quieter. And the suspension is clearly better, quite a bit softer and gentler. It is still relatively hard, compared to other cars. I just want to point out the difference to the older one.

It seems that Tesla has quietly made progress in the design of the car, not only the points above, but also some other good news, like the automatically opening and closing trunk lid, seat heating for all seats, etc.

It could be that your impression of the difference between the newer Long-Range and the older RWD is only due to the difference in age of the two cars.

I drove a 2020 Made in USA Model 3 RWD for two years and have replaced it with a 2022-02 Model 3 RWD Made in China.

The 2020 one was good, had a visit to the Service Center due to a slight rattling noise under the dashboard, quickly repaired on the spot. I was happy with it, but glued in some additional door seals to reduce wind noise and dirt. I also added two original Tesla anti-wind-noise parts under the frunk lid that came standard in later cars and are quite effective.

When I got the new one, I noticed a few differences. The manufacturing was perfect—no rattling, nothing loose, everything fits. There is a lot less wind noise; the car was much quieter. And the suspension is clearly better, quite a bit softer and gentler. It is still relatively hard, compared to other cars. I just want to point out the difference to the older one.

It seems that Tesla has quietly made progress in the design of the car, not only the points above, but also some other good news, like the automatically opening and closing trunk lid, seat heating for all seats, etc.

It could be that your impression of the difference between the newer Long-Range and the older RWD is only due to the difference in age of the two cars.

Curious about what anti-wind noise parts you're referring to there. Any part numbers or anything?

Thanks in advance :)

I had a 2020 M3 LR and when pushing on the suspension was quite bouncy, the extended mudflaps used to bottom out all the time until I chopped the bottom off them and the car would be hard to place on the road (I live fairly rural and it's rare I won't be driivng 60mph on a twisty bit of road when leaving the house to make the suspension earn its keep). The M3 was a bag of spanners though in terms of build, noise etc. and the suspension was the least iof its issues. I'm now in a 2022 MY and the ride is much firmer, I while I can't compare it to a MIC M3, the ride is much firmer than my M3 was and not great. To be honest, I've not yet driven a Tesla where I think they've really got the suspension sorted, and I've owned 4 and driven plenty of loan cars. Whether its dealing with the weight ot just Tesla don't spend good money on good suspension design and parts I couldn't say, but there aren't any adaptive dampers, fancy antiroll bars, etc (maybe in the Raven models but we only got those for about year)

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed response. Intrigued on how else you found the switch over? Range change?
I have a rwd 21 freemont built and absolutely love it. It was the last before it switched to lfp. It’s been fantastic. Got from Exeter to London on 80% recently and the efficiency has been awesome.

I’ve a new rwd on order and was worried I’d prefer the old one ha! (maybe I’ve got attached to it!) but intrigued how happy you were with the switch from a range perspective?

Do you use full acceleration on your cars from time to time? Have you noticed a difference between the older (on paper faster) and new car?

Do you use full acceleration on your cars from time to time? Have you noticed a difference between the older (on paper faster) and new car?
I will jump in and say I test drove the newer rwd and my current sr+ 21 non lfp is definitely quicker. The newer one doesn’t have the same initial jump!

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
My partner drove the loaner car for the first time(Model 3 LR) and when she got back she immediately said "that drives so much better than your car". I didn't even ask 😂 Sounds like I have permission to upgrade from the SR (LFP)

Range change?
The 2022-02 Model 3 RWD came with a 60 kWh LFP battery with a 510 km WLTP range, as opposed to the older 52 kWh battery with an accordingly shorter range.

Of course I enjoy the higher capacity and range, but I like the fact that it's an LFP battery even more. These batteries live almost forever and can be charged to 100% without incurring high degradation. Tesla even recommends to charge them to 100% once a week to recalibrate the Battery Management System.

I don't do that. I charge to 70% to squeeze the last bit of long life from the battery, but whenever I can make use of 100%, i.e. before any long drive, I gladly charge to 100%.

The LFP batteries have only one slight shortcoming. They don't perform very well when it is cold. The solution is to activate the air conditioning 10 or 15 minutes before driving off, because that pre-heats both the cabin and the battery. I don't drive very much in winter anyway, particularly not fast, so it doesn't really concern me.

Reactions: Dommmm
Both left and right parts:

1504932-00-A ASY KIT, NVH, COWL, TRIM, LHD 17,99€

Left and right parts separately:

1504933-00-A ASY, NVH, COWL, TRIM, LH, LHD
1504934-00-A ASY, NVH, COWL, TRIM, RH, LHD
Thanks a lot. I suspect I'll need slightly different parts as we're RHD, but that gives me something to go on.

EDIT: Looks like they only made a version for LHD cars :( Thanks anyway.

Last edited: