Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My SR+ vs LR loaner driving experience - wow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you use full acceleration on your cars from time to time? Have you noticed a difference between the older (on paper faster) and new car?
Nominally the newer RWD Model 3 cars use a more efficient motor that has slightly less power. Nominally the old Model 3 RWD accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h (roughly 60 mph) in 5.7 s, while the newer ones use 6.1 s. I personally do not notice any difference. Both cars accelerate very strongly, though not as fast as the 4WD versions.

Thanks a lot. I suspect I'll need slightly different parts as we're RHD, but that gives me something to go on.

EDIT: Looks like they only made a version for LHD cars :( Thanks anyway.
I think the two parts are entirely symmetrical, no difference between LHD and RHD. Maybe that's why there are only LHD parts. Perhaps they have to add either LHD or RHD to any part.

These parts do make the car a bit quieter at high speeds, so unless you have them already, it is worth these few bucks to get them. They are very easy to mount, without tools. Just push them into the holes until they click in place.

Reactions: Durzel
I think the two parts are entirely symmetrical, no difference between LHD and RHD. Maybe that's why there are only LHD parts. Perhaps they have to add either LHD or RHD to any part.

These parts do make the car a bit quieter at high speeds, so unless you have them already, it is worth these few bucks to get them. They are very easy to mount, without tools. Just push them into the holes until they click in place.
Thanks. I might try and get them and see what happens.

The problem is, looking at photos, the placement of the windscreen wipers is completely different (mirrored) on RHD vs LHD cars, and the two parts are slightly different. It might be the case that they clip in but foul the wipers on a RHD car. I guess I could try regardless.

The problem is, looking at photos, the placement of the windscreen wipers is completely different (mirrored) on RHD vs LHD cars, and the two parts are slightly different.
If they are really different, then there should be RHD parts as well, as all newer Model 3 cars have them.

You could call your nearest service center or try to order the parts through the Tesla app by making an appointment.

Nominally the newer RWD Model 3 cars use a more efficient motor that has slightly less power. Nominally the old Model 3 RWD accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h (roughly 60 mph) in 5.7 s, while the newer ones use 6.1 s. I personally do not notice any difference. Both cars accelerate very strongly, though not as fast as the 4WD versions.

That's interesting that you didn't notice any difference. (The quoted 0-100km/h for the older SR+ was 5.6 secs or 0-60mph 5.3 secs ... this was before the small power increase of 5% in late 2019 after which there were some measurable -if small- reductions to those times. Despite this Tesla kept the same quoted SR+ speeds for the cars produced after the power increase.)

I admit that I like the Tesla acceleration, but I'm not very interested in it. I'm an efficiency afficionado. Hence the Model 3 RWD is exactly the right car for me, no matter whether it goes from zero to 100 km/h in 5, 6, or 7 seconds. I haven't put any special attention into the acceleration and may not have noticed whether there was any difference.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I admit that I like the Tesla acceleration, but I'm not very interested in it. I'm an efficiency afficionado. Hence the Model 3 RWD is exactly the right car for me, no matter whether it goes from zero to 100 km/h in 5, 6, or 7 seconds. I haven't put any special attention into the acceleration and may not have noticed whether there was any difference.

Yes, I am generally more interested in efficient driving also! However, unlike the reports from many who have LR and Performance models where people are reluctant to use foot to the floor acceleration it is not so unusual to use max power when overtaking in order to get back into lane safely before an up-coming corner... very reassuring! The violence of the acceleration in the other models leads some to routinely drive in "chill mode".

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Thanks. I might try and get them and see what happens.

The problem is, looking at photos, the placement of the windscreen wipers is completely different (mirrored) on RHD vs LHD cars, and the two parts are slightly different. It might be the case that they clip in but foul the wipers on a RHD car. I guess I could try regardless.

Go on ... give it a shot ... then the rest of us can benefit from your experience (because we're not brave enough)!
Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 19.16.30.png

There’s definitely no different RHD parts in the parts catalogue, but the fact they appear at all in it (on the UK EPC) is interesting. Maybe they are universal?

That said I wasn’t aware that RHD cars were being delivered with these parts. The only time I’d heard about them was when they were first spotted, on a German car.

The 2022-02 Model 3 RWD came with a 60 kWh LFP battery with a 510 km WLTP range, as opposed to the older 52 kWh battery with an accordingly shorter range.

Of course I enjoy the higher capacity and range, but I like the fact that it's an LFP battery even more. These batteries live almost forever and can be charged to 100% without incurring high degradation. Tesla even recommends to charge them to 100% once a week to recalibrate the Battery Management System.

I don't do that. I charge to 70% to squeeze the last bit of long life from the battery, but whenever I can make use of 100%, i.e. before any long drive, I gladly charge to 100%.

The LFP batteries have only one slight shortcoming. They don't perform very well when it is cold. The solution is to activate the air conditioning 10 or 15 minutes before driving off, because that pre-heats both the cabin and the battery. I don't drive very much in winter anyway, particularly not fast, so it doesn't really concern me.
I’m all for the lfp, if you get into the mining side of things it’s an improvement on the mining for nickel/cobalt based batteries.

But that’s reassuring the know. Quite looking forward to that extra bit of battery/range and seeing how far it goes (not that the current sr+ is anything but awesome) and never come unstuck this far!

I’m definitely attached to the car. It’s incredible for sure. I guess that’s one advantage of getting a newer one- two years away from mot again!
I don't think failures at first MOT are being reported very often, so nothing to fear on that score ... I may be wrong but I don't recall seeing posts on here about that happening. Obviously it's only the 2019 Fremont Model 3s requiring MOTs at the moment.

Reactions: Dommmm
I don't think failures at first MOT are being reported very often, so nothing to fear on that score ... I may be wrong but I don't recall seeing posts on here about that happening. Obviously it's only the 2019 Fremont Model 3s requiring MOTs at the moment.
Cool, thanks for the heads up. Appreciate it Adopado :)

Last edited by a moderator: