Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Starbucks Idea is amazingly odd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
My Starbucks Idea

Anyone ever checked it out? I posted something about Starbucks placing EV chargers and got it immedatiely voted down as a bad idea. Ever EV charger idea posted since then (hadn't checked for a year after the level of intelligent arguments there) get the same thing

1) I don't want to pay a dime more for you to charge your car. Do it yourself at home

2) it ruins the coffee house feel

some other favorites from 'top commentors'
CLSpkt
Top Commenter
10/3/2012 6:18 AM
OP, are you willling to pay $5+ additional for your drinks since sbx would have to recoup their $ for the minimum $75,000 costing station? I would not. so, you need to charge your vehicle at your house or gas station or whatever business is specifically for that service. not a coffee shop/fast food place.

DadCooks
Top Commenter
10/3/2012 6:00 PM
If this idea is ever implemented it should be required that a majority (95%) of the electrical power for it is generated by coal, nuclear, and hydro.

Or each station should be equiped with a windmill and solar panel, should only take a few days to recharge.

I don't go to Starbucks very often, but the times I have the one thing I've noticed in every one I've been to is that the parking lots and parking spaces are very small. Putting any kind of EVSE in would require taking out two of the few parking spaces for each EVSE.

I'll admit that the time spent waiting in line would allow for a full range charge.

The places to do this would be in those locations along major highways (like Tesla is doing with the Superchargers) so parking is usually less of an issue. I agree that no more than one spot would be needed to start. ChargePoint could take care of the billing. I had always thought their customers were a little more enlightened but see the same FUD/anti-EV crowd jumping on any EV suggestion there but a super-triple mint soy carmel non-fat chai latte gets voted way up and adopted as a corporate good idea. Oh well.

Are there any Starbucks along major highways? I don't recall seeing any. Starbucks is generally in urban areas.

Tons here. In fact, I have my GPS set to notify me as to what exits have Starbucks and/or Peet's. ("Hi, my name is Bonnie and I'm addicted to coffee.) Lots of the highway 'services ahead' signs post the Starbuck's logo, along with various fast food stops.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as Starbucks installing EVSEs (or any other business) - if they believe it will bring them additional business, they'll do it. Usually they're co-located with other businesses - easy enough to install a charging station or two in the larger parking lot if the group of businesses believe it will result in more customers.

In all seriousness, are you there long enough for a significant charge? Similar to Walgreens, why charge there? Put them outside restaurants and other places you'll spend a lot of time at

It would be more of a top-up stop if they only put in the 30A variety but in some areas, that's all you have outside a 110V outlet somewhere or a RV park which at 40A would be better but if I'm going to be somewhere for 3-4 hours, would rather sit at a Starbucks with WiFi than at a RV park.

In all seriousness, are you there long enough for a significant charge? Similar to Walgreens, why charge there? Put them outside restaurants and other places you'll spend a lot of time at

They're internet-friendly, a good reason to hang out.

Realistically, I'll always pick a campground over a 30amp EVSE (which is what most are in the wild) - but it would be helpful for Leaf owners, for instance, who have such limited range.

It would be more of a top-up stop if they only put in the 30A variety but in some areas, that's all you have outside a 110V outlet somewhere or a RV park which at 40A would be better but if I'm going to be somewhere for 3-4 hours, would rather sit at a Starbucks with WiFi than at a RV park.

True, though the idea of a hike while charging sounds kinda fun

My Starbucks Idea

Anyone ever checked it out? I posted something about Starbucks placing EV chargers and got it immedatiely voted down as a bad idea. Ever EV charger idea posted since then (hadn't checked for a year after the level of intelligent arguments there) get the same thing

1) I don't want to pay a dime more for you to charge your car. Do it yourself at home

2) it ruins the coffee house feel

some other favorites from 'top commentors'
Can you post the link to your idea on their web site. I cannot find it.

My Starbucks Idea

Anyone ever checked it out? I posted something about Starbucks placing EV chargers and got it immedatiely voted down as a bad idea.

Yeah, I tried that a couple of years ago and got seriously shouted down. It seems the site is dominated by a few people with very strong opinions, and EVs don't fit their model. It's pretty stupid because Starbucks would be in my "top 3 places to wait while charging".

If Starbucks management has any brains, they'll realize that they have to come up with the great ideas for their coffee shops. Customers are good at coming up with little incremental improvements, but never come up with the big ideas that really matter. Usually those come from the leaders of the company, e.g. people like Elon.

That would be nice. Guess it depends on RV park. A lot of them out here have nothing around them so you are basically stuck.

Yeah, I guess I'm thinking more campground than RV park. Still, why not just sit in your car and surf the net if that's what you would do in a Starbucks anyway? I guess since I don't drink coffee I don't see the huge draw.

Can you post the link to your idea on their web site. I cannot find it.

Here's the one I posted over a year ago and the response let me know it wasn't a site for serious ideas with Starbucks
DC Fast charging for Electric Vehicles (EVs) at Starbuck locations near major highways

lilmissykato got upset I was trying to ruin her coffee house environment

A search for EV
Search Results

Here's a few of them
Jolt my Volt!
and
EV Charging stations

shows a number of other ones and they all have minus 100 points or more so don't appear on their radar as a 'good idea'. I had e-mailed Starbucks directly last year but didn't get anywhere.

Last edited:

Around here, it's pretty common to hold informal business meetings at Starbucks (that may also be because we tend to have outdoor seating year-round). I've had several Starbucks meetings during this past year, average length of time was probably ~60-70 minutes. Never had one at Walgreens though.

I'm not saying Starbucks is the perfect place but I had always thought of Starbucks as an environmentally forward Seattle based company and was surprised by the backlash on that website. I think one Level 2 charger per Starbucks (only some of them as it wouldn't work everywhere) would be a start.

Here's the one I posted over a year ago and the response let me know it wasn't a site for serious ideas with Starbucks
DC Fast charging for Electric Vehicles (EVs) at Starbuck locations near major highways

lilmissykato got upset I was trying to ruin her coffee house environment

A search for EV
Search Results

Here's a few of them
Jolt my Volt!
and
EV Charging stations

shows a number of other ones and they all have minus 100 points or more so don't appear on their radar as a 'good idea'. I had e-mailed Starbucks directly last year but didn't get anywhere.

I would not give up on this idea. At the first link, most of the comments were positive despite the -100 rating. Someone has a grudge. Coffeehouse charging makes a lot of sense, just like WiFi. We should keep working on Starbucks, Seattle's Best, independent coffeehouses, Panara Bread, restaurants, and anyone else with free WiFi.

GSP