Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Story: 3 kids, a Model S, cancelling my Model X, and a...Volvo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to jump in here, but I'm actually picking up a XC90 T8 tomorrow. And, like Zaxxon, expecting to get a M3 later.

That 59 number is actually the "eMPG" rating that was published all over the place before they had actual efficiency ratings available. So from what I can tell, it has no actual real bearing on range and mileage (unless you like thinking of electric motor efficiency in terms of gallons of gas, which I find weird).

The actual published rating is 24 mpg city, and 27 mpg highway.

So imagine a all-at-once "city" drive (with no charging) would be more like apprx 15-20 miles on battery, plus another 300 or so in gas/hybrid. Although I can't imagine driving for 320+ miles straight in the city :)

59 is the eMPG rating for the all electric mode may most likely be the case. I was thinking it was for a Hybrid drive with a fully charged pack. If you read this article, the author seems to have got > 35 miles/gal for his driving over a week which is well over the 24 mpg rated.
Volvo Beats Tesla At Its Own Game With The New XC90 T8 Plug-in Hybrid (Review)

Because the actual mileage may vary based on driving conditions, landscape etc, they may have chose to just state gas only and motor only range and the hybrid range falls between those two.

59 is the eMPG rating for the all electric mode may most likely be the case. I was thinking it was for a Hybrid drive with a fully charged pack. If you read this article, the author seems to have got > 35 miles/gal for his driving over a week which is well over the 24 mpg rated.
Volvo Beats Tesla At Its Own Game With The New XC90 T8 Plug-in Hybrid (Review)

Because the actual mileage may vary based on driving conditions, landscape etc, they may have chose to just state gas only and motor only range and the hybrid range falls between those two.

Based on what I've seen from T8 owners, this is the case. I've seen folks getting upper 20s through 70s MPG depending on usage.

Thanks ...Found the US site so deleted my post, you were super Quick to catch me even before I deleted .. We don't have a hybrid model in Canada , It says inscription trying to figure out what it is.

You do have the hybrid. T8 is the hybrid, T6 is the ICE-only. Inscription is a trim level. Base (in US) is Momentum, then R-Design, and the top trim is Inscription. All 3 can be chosen with either T6 or T8 power train.

Was shopping both vehicles (MX and XC90.) Looks like Volvo is upgrading to Pilot Assist II in the '17 model, I wonder how that compares to Tesla's Autopilot? The autopilot feature is the game changer for me, I think Volvo's current system only works to maybe 35mph and doesn't learn from other Volvos?

Was shopping both vehicles (MX and XC90.) Looks like Volvo is upgrading to Pilot Assist II in the '17 model, I wonder how that compares to Tesla's Autopilot? The autopilot feature is the game changer for me, I think Volvo's current system only works to maybe 35mph and doesn't learn from other Volvos?

PAII is much closer to Autopilot. Works up to 80 mph and without a lead car. Not quite AP, but one of the closest I've seen.

Just a couple of thoughts for those considering this choice as well. I have an early Model S, and I undoubtedly love it. When my wife's lease ran out, we had a decision between a Lexus hybrid, Volvo XC90 T8, or the Model X. (Lucky to be able to buy any of them.) My wife was insistent on not purchase another electric because she did not want two "electric constrained" vehicles. While I was against it, we met in the middle and got the T8.

As a car, it is extremely nice. Absolutely excellent handling, fantastic interior, good UI, and exceedingly comfortable. It is pretty amazing, and makes sense why it won the Motor Trend award. The only knock I could have given it on day one was the limited range and that the ride was a little harsh even with air suspension, but that was a very, very minor complaint. However, we have had nothing but problems with the T8 since we got it, and it is clear now that there are software issues. Everything from hybrid drive failures, to the car requiring us to pull over and not go faster than 10 miles an hour, to the rear hatch opening on its own. Also, there are minor things such as not being able to store favorite radio stations, etc. Now my wife wants to return it and is all on board with a Model X (which won't happen if we can work through the issues on the Volvo).

I have no doubt that the Volvo will be an excellent SUV for us once some of the kinks are worked out, and hopefully others on this thread are not experiencing the same. However, if I were doing it again, I would have pressed harder for the Model X to be given at least equal weight with my wife and not dismissed so readily.

Based on what I've seen from T8 owners, this is the case. I've seen folks getting upper 20s through 70s MPG depending on usage.
This is so very dependent on individuals. I talked with a guy yesterday who has an XC90 and has driven over 95% of his miles electric. He's guesstimating that he'll use about 2 gallons of gas per month over an average year.

Which raises an interesting question. Does the engine run some regardless of need? I'd think it would need to? Problems with stale gas if you don't go through enough gas?

Did you opt for the upgraded B&W sound system with the tweeter on top? I spent some quality time with this system and came away very impressed. It's only offered in the XC90 and the new S90 sedan.

Not asked, but we purchased the B&W sound system. It is awesome. Sound is fantastic, and the various sound settings (like concert hall, etc.) are great depending on what you are looking for.

I drove behind an XC90 T8 today in Napa for a bit and eventually pulled up alongside. It's a great looking vehicle, looks well designed, and from the images I've seen online seems very useful/utilitarian. This particular one was sporting a roof rack (!) and box. I think it's a great choice depending on your situation. I'm still glad I ordered the X - those tailpipes still bother me big time - but that's a personal thing. I'm hopeful @MiddKid and the rest who went in that direction have great experiences with the car.

Reactions: ABCCBA
I'm just curious when this became the Volvo motors club? Having said that, the new Volvo looks very nice!

I know that was tongue-in-cheek, and I can't speak for the others, but I'm still shooting to become an all-Tesla household. It'll just happen one vehicle replacement cycle later.

The X doesn't work for us, the XC90 does. I'm confident the 3 will replace our 2013 Prius in due time, and that our next large car after the XC90 will be a Tesla.

I'm just curious when this became the Volvo motors club? Having said that, the new Volvo looks very nice!
Part of discussing any car is also discussing it's key competitors and the pros and cons of each. There are similarly threads on the Volvo, Mercedes, and Porsche forums about the Model X. Not a good sign if you're afraid of honest discussion of the competition. :)

The XC90 is a quite nice car. Unfortunately it's going through it's share of growing pains like the X though most of the XC90 problems seem to be software related.