Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Story: From Model S to Model X Signature reservation, to...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnxietyRanger

Aug 22, 2014
EU
Greetings! I agree with great members like MiddKidd is his posts that one of the great value - aside from the analysis and opinion - of a place like Tesla Motors Club are the deeper real life stories. I don't have a very practical story to share, but I have put a lot of thought and emotion in my short Tesla history and thought I'd share my emotional journey. Therapy, if nothing else, as others so well put it.

As some may you recall, I entered the Tesla realm relatively late internationally (but early for my local region) in 2014 when I suddenly had the - here very common, but elsewhere still novel - epiphany that electric vehicles are the only way to go. Once I made this realization, as I explained in my introductory post "Car market literally down to 2 cars today", it suddenly felt the car market had shrunk to one/two vehicles for me: the full-size, significant-range EVs. Basically, at that time and still today, the Teslas.

So, I did what many here did, bought a Model S that I still have. It is a mostly loaded P85 (pre-autopilot), which aside from asking to replace a 12V battery, has had no issues during my ownership. All the handles work, rear wheel drive is surprisingly good even in snow, the acceleration still feels great. The utility of the vehicle is undoubtedly significant, the amount of stuff you can haul in it is massive. The charging network around me has grown quite significantly (Tesla and non-Tesla alike), from the point of getting into real trouble a few times in 2014, to quite comfortably moving around inside a relatively large sphere in 2016 (arrival of CHAdeMO adapter helps too).

I like the P85 - and I really, really do love the skateboard/drive-train and am a big believer - but it I wouldn't say I necessarily love it as a car. I've had cars I considered more luxurious and there are convenience features I miss. What really captured my imagination about Tesla was, though, the Model X. I had placed a Signature reservation on it before getting the P85 and I have kept that reservation all this time. Indeed, initially, I thought - prior to really understanding the concept of Tesla time - my stint with the P85 would be quite short-lived and that it would be quickly replaced by a Model X, perhaps in early 2015.

Well, the deeper I dug into my analysis of the Model X situation (as some on this board may remember my Model X analysis threads), such illusions vanished. So, it has taken much longer and bad news have followed one-another: the smaller Falcon Wings/rigider seats not allowing so nice access to both back rows, the dropping of the folding seats, the predicted/leaked quality issues and manufacturing delays turning into real ones, the lack of a proper roof-rack replacement, controversial front door design, very few new traditional convenience features introduced with the Model X and so forth. All the while my P85 ownership has grown longer than expected.

What started out as a car to tide me over, the P85 was quickly becoming one to either keep much longer or to trade into something completely different. Eroding trade-in value in mind as well (autopilot, facelift...), I admit, I started looking at wildly different alternatives. One thing I entertained and went as far as getting some brochures and making some math, were convertibles/roadsters. I still have a gasoline SUV also, so I can afford to be flexible in the practicality aspect, if need be. My thinking was that aside from the aging Tesla Roadster (probably not an option, though I did consider a used one too), no EV convertible would probably be around the corner, so I might as well enjoy something like that for a change. I almost pulled the trigger on an Audi TTS Roadster. Loved the yellow color they offer.

On the other end, I also took a long look at the Volvo XC90 T8 that is getting so much attention over here on Tesla Motors Club as well. I must admit, it is a very nice looking car and tons of that utility and convenience features Tesla Model X is still missing - and the fact that it could be driven electrically for short commutes, started to seem like an interesting addition, instead of a pointlessly complicated compromise (it is that, of course, in theory, but practical/emotional considerations can be different than theory). What kept me from this route mostly, was the lack of performance in pure EV mode, and the short range. Had these been a little better, or my absolute requirements for utility much higher than they are, the Volvo XC90 T8 would have been a likely contender. I did also configure a new Model S, but just didn't feel the excitement.

All this time, I started drifting further and further away from that "market down to 2 cars" thinking that brought me to this forum a couple of years ago. I mean, I still hate going to the gas station for our gasoline cars, but as the novelty was wearing off and I was still driving ICEs and not totally hating it, and especially as the practical considerations for getting another EV were meeting stronger than expected headwind, I got to the point that I abandoned that thinking. Instead of thinking of never buying another ICE, I was expecting to do so again at least for the next car, perhaps two. Plug-in hybrids started looking like options, too, to retain some of that EV magic and progressive experience at the plug. I recently started reading the European Plug-in Magazine that covers mostly non-Tesla (PH)EVs and find it interesting.

A big part of all this was slower than expected progress at Tesla and a feeling the company struggled a bit to keep their footing regarding the great service experience, communication and improving quality. I must say if I was a total Tesla fanboy two years ago, I am much more of a critical observer and speaker now. I think Tesla could use a big more open and a bit more humble approach to the market. I think they should listen more carefully and talk more openly. And I think their choices in lessening the customer service level have been unfortunate, be it about the Supercharger stipulations, ranger service changes, or simply the way they went about the delayed Model X launch trying to put a too-brave-a-face on it. Even if the changes were absolutely mandatory fiscally, they could have communicated about them so much better. I hear great things about the old customer service boss (now gone) at Tesla Motors on TMC and I think a lot of people miss him for a reason.

In the end, today, the market is not down to 2 cars for me - and when the next car buying opportunity comes in some years time, I see the Model 3 and perhaps the likes of an Audi EV being contenders, but probably not the only ones. I doubt I'll ever enjoy an ICE as an ICE again (very hard to get excited about cylinder counts and engine displacements anymore), but I might still enjoy as a great car. I will probably always enjoy EV the most as a drive-train (pending possible other alternative fuel), but that doesn't mean some other car couldn't be more interesting still.

The world seems more complex again and I guess that is a story several Tesla fans have gone through on TMC as well. In hindsight, the Model X probably was not as successful a launch we hoped, neither production-wise - and more importantly - nor product-wise. Instead of the end-all-be-all, it is a compromise product that Tesla didn't manage to get into the market very well either.

So, what happened to my Model X Signature (EU) reservation? I exercised it.

As many here, I was somewhat disappointed by the Model X reveal - the well-documented limitations were unfortunate (no folding second row) as were the lack of progress in convenience and safety hardware (e.g. AP2.0/more cameras still missing, entertainment options few etc.). The new stuff that they did march out ranged, in my opinion, from not very exciting (the HEPA filter) to unnecessarily gimmicky (the driver's door). The prototype front interior being relegated to a show/concept car (that Tesla has said they'd never do) and instead the front interior coming from the Model S, made it all a bit less exciting as well, coming from a Model S. No touch steering wheel, no new cameras in mirrors or anywhere, no new stylings to really set it apart as car from the place where I'd sit the most (the driver's seat) and so forth. Even the standout feature, the windscreen, seemed a bit compromised since it offered no interesting active features and has had issues. Add to this the massive delays and other quality woes experienced by many here, made it hard to know what to think.

There were some bright spots, of course, too. The adaptive spoiler is a cool exterior feature and seems useful too. The addition of ventilated seats in the front was a convenience feature I had missed and Tesla did get a lot of small details right like adding more storage and those kinds of things. The progress borrowed from the Model S, like the heated steering wheel option, the autopilot with adjoining features, also meant the Model X was certainly still a step up from my P85 in many regards. As a bonus, for the European deliveries, I guess Tesla even finally got the new automatically opening and closing EU charge port done. And, of course, from my perspective the drive-train improvements and the towing capacity were well within the ballpark - I know some hoped for (and Tesla had teased) more, but for me I have no complaints about these once Tesla fixed the problem of announcing inflated HP numbers (good!). These are clear steps up from my RWD Classic P85.

The utility, I must admit, is the one area that really gave me pause too and lead to a rather surprising - perhaps not all that surprising to people here - thought process. The RWD Model S is such a versatile car with its huge frunk and folding back. It actually has the most cargo space in a car I've ever owned and I've owned some rather large wagons/SUVs - all this in car that is also the quickest from the line. The Model S utility is, phenomenal. With a Model X Signature, the frunk would be of different shape (although larger than AWD Model S I guess), but most importantly the second row would not fold. I feel this was a major fail at Tesla and wish they would have addressed it better over the launch process. I also almost laughed out loud with the 6 seater introduction - literally pulling out the middle seat was, really, such an amateurish move that it was almost hilarious. No armrests, no added seat width, just a huge gaping hole in the middle.

Yet, and really credit where credit is due, I've come to see genius in that. The 6 seater Model X is something probably no other car manufacturer would have ever done. I mean, I know many do captains seats, but to just pull out the middle seat like that probably very late in the design process is something nobody else would do. It is such a silly and crazy move and the end-result looks exactly like it, when you know the history. But then: it was also Tesla listening and hearing. Something I said they should do more. And here they did. The non-folding second row is probably the biggest single drawback, after delays, of the controversial Falcon Wing doors - I am convinced the doors are the reason they couldn't get folding second-row certified yet, because of seat-belt placement (they will eventually, I think for certain for 5-seater, perhaps for all models). And Tesla heard this call and made an unprecedented move to remedy.

It turned out one of the biggest drawbacks of the Model X, as launched, turned into one if its major strengths for me. Look, as said (and I even entertained convertibles for my daily driver), the rear/trunk utility is not absolutely mandatory for me. But I do at times carry long items and even those convertibles usually have a hole in the rear seat to put things through (Tesla would do well to offer a ski hole in the middle second row seat). And I welcome the utility when possible. In a convertible I get other benefits form-factor-wise to make it worth the limited space, but in a car like the Model X the expectation is that I can do most of my occasional hauling needs in it. It would be unfortunate to have to leave the Model X parked just so that I can haul the occasional bigger item, when size-wise the car would be a perfect fit. I know there would be moments when it would be embarrassing even. The 6 seater fixes most of that, especially the question of the occasional long items. I never needed 7 seats anyway, 5 would be enough and 6 is already a bonus.

But there is another reason why the 6 seater turned into such a big plus for me. As someone here put it, it really feels like first class or business class - or maybe a small private jet - compared to the coach that is the cramped 7 seater. In some ways, that "aisle" in the middle is even better than larger chairs or some module filling that space, it creates a very special sense of airiness in the car. Instead of a second row, the car feels more like it has two front rows and a back seat (the third row). That is rather unique in a car. And as this sensation grew on me, so grew my decision to go with the reservation I had. I know the side seats can feel cramped next to the doors, but - for my use - they will be mostly occupied by kids anyway, so adult standards need to not apply. It also helped the decision that Tesla made the second row middle seat so massive - the improved rear visibility in the 6 seater is welcomed.

Then there was the question of the Falcon Wings. Back in 2014, I opened a thread about must have them, will absolutely hate them here on TMC, and I guess my thinking remains pretty much the same. I have read the teething troubles and obstacle avoidance woes with abject horror and with the sentiment that my prognosis in 2014 was probably not all that incorrect: "Myself not wanting to park in any public garages (or not letting anyone in the back out in said garages, if I do) for the fear of hitting the ceiling with the doors. So I must let my rear passengers out on the other side of a muddy field from the destination, after which I won't let them back in because they are dirty from the mud and they have to take the bus instead. Besides, I'm not opening their doors in the garage where I parked, so they couldn't get back in anyway."

I am not sure the Falcon Wings were a very successful idea. Frankly, while they may make the Model Y as things may be far along enough, and certainly Tesla will likely never out-design them from the current Model X due to the structural redesign involved, I wouldn't be surprised if a future second-generation Model X launches without them. The gains, some tight scenarios and putting in baby seats, really are offset by a huge amount of issues that Tesla may not be able to fully fix (and the novelty/publicity value will wear off over time too). Maybe they will come up with that roof-rack solution at some point (one that would perhaps allow opening of one of the doors) and fix those folding seat issues, and/or add more sensors and better implementation to the doors... but if not, I have hard time seeing this idea taking off in a wider sense. We might even see that biker decapitation.

But for me, the Falcon Wings certainly still are the deal maker. I will hate them, the attention they get from bystanders (frankly, I often dislike the still occasional Tesla moments when parking the Model S too, though some interactions are nice) and the family will hate them every time we are in a tight spot where I will not let them open the doors or somesuch. And when getting that one small item from the back and waiting it do its dance, I will wish it weren't so. Also, the front doors seem like tons of trouble - I really don't see why the electric opening concept had to be extended to them as well. But then again, I also know that I will love them all. I will play with the front door automated chauffer and enjoy closing the front passenger's door electrically. And I will marvel those Falcon Wings and the family will too. And since they are all computerized, I will enjoy witnessing OTA updates and see what they do over time.

In the end, being a part of this freakshow was too intriguing to pass. Being a part of it early on (just like I was early on with the Model S for my local market), is exciting. Being a part of it slightly later than the first ones though, is reassuring, quality-wise in this case. I probably would not have pulled the trigger, had my hand been forced to do it, say, in March. Sometimes living in not the most progressive neck of the woods helps, just enough.

I speak in the future tense as I'm yet to take delivery, but the order is in - a Model X Signature P90DL, 6 seater. Whatever the shortcomings, I expect it is all a part of this intense story I've been taking the ride on, and be part of the car's character. Good and bad, I feel it will, very, very likely, be the most memorable car I've ever owned and getting in on early enough is an integral part of that. The nice Signature badge and the fact that the P90DL drive-train is amazing, helps.

I am excited again and that's what counts.

Hi @AnxietyRanger. I remember your detailed analysis of several parts of the X, back in the 'mule spotted' section of this forum so well. Excellent contributions and also a ton of fun as we were all speculating on what might come. And to be honest. I missed that there haven't been new posts since the official launch.

As to buying a Roadster, do consider buying a Tesla Roadster. Even if today they are only available as "pre-owned". It is one of the most fun cars I've ever driven and the E-drivetrain has never failed to excite me. Not in summer, nor in winter.

Thanks for your post. I've truly enjoyed reading the journey you've made before pulling the trigger and ordering your X.

Great story (and not just because you linked to my post in the first line)! Our stories are remarkably similar and I can't wait to hear how your ownership experience goes. We did pull the trigger on that XC90 and are so happy we did. Fantastic vehicle so far.

So with the XC90 as our family SUV (sorry X) I'm left with the 2014 P85 Model S. I've told myself I'm going to re-evaluate the entire situation come March of 2017 when my Resale Value Guarantee kicks in. Us pre-"D" models have taken a pretty big hit and I'm thinking that RVG is going to be enticing. I may go X. I may go S. But Tesla lost the opportunity for us to go all-Tesla.

One thing that continually makes me nervous is quality. I'm taking my MS in for it's 37,500 service next Monday and the list of items to fix is LONG. Just for fun, check out the attached. Imagine my joy when I opened my rear hatch and saw this stream of water coming out of the hatch and handles! Unacceptable. I actually have caught myself taking the wife's XC90 out more often when I could have taken the Model S. The fit and finish is fantastic.

Photo Jul 06, 8 43 27 AM.jpg

Thank you, MikeC , GVTesla, systemcrashed and MiddKid. I appreciate your shoutouts.

Hi @AnxietyRanger.I remember your detailed analysis of several parts of the X, back in the 'mule spotted' section of this forum so well. Excellent contributions and also a ton of fun as we were all speculating on what might come. And to be honest. I missed that there haven't been new posts since the official launch.

Thanks. Of course there hasn't been as much to speculate after the mule show, but mostly I was (and still am) just ahem, limited by past events. :) And I appreciate the note on the Roadster.

Great story (and not just because you linked to my post in the first line)! Our stories are remarkably similar and I can't wait to hear how your ownership experience goes. We did pull the trigger on that XC90 and are so happy we did. Fantastic vehicle so far.

Reading your story, which indeed inspired me to share mine, you made the right choice for your family. You get so much utility from the Volvo and the appointments of the car are impeccable, it looked enticing to myself as well, even without the same needs! Personally, I can 99% of the time get away with four seats and that 1% with five (and in that 1% usually never with much cargo), so I'm still usually good even if I need to fold the third row for cargo. If I couldn't, or the the 6 seater were not available, the Model X would have been a much more difficult option for me too.

One thing that continually makes me nervous is quality. I'm taking my MS in for it's 37,500 service next Monday and the list of items to fix is LONG. Just for fun, check out the attached. Imagine my joy when I opened my rear hatch and saw this stream of water coming out of the hatch and handles! Unacceptable.

Urgh, that picture of your Model S certainly doesn't seem very nice. I bought a pre-configured Model S back in 2014 to get it quickly (it was new, came fresh from the factory for delivery, but not configured by myself) and one surprise was that it was made in that twilight between the AutoPilot and the Classic - it has the reversed cruise control stalks (which I prefer greatly). Perhaps this breed of the very last Classics had contributed to its rather good quality record. Or I had good luck. I have no complaints overall for my unit, other than the 12V battery replacement and the fact that the reversed stalks delayed some initial OTA updates compared other Classics.

I actually have caught myself taking the wife's XC90 out more often when I could have taken the Model S. The fit and finish is fantastic.

Similar things have actually been one more reason why I have been a bit apprehensive about all things Tesla. After the initial period, I don't mind driving our gasoline SUV as much as I thought I forever would. It is not just that the EV hubris has diminished (though, that surely plays a small part) it is also, as I said, I don't unconditionally love the P85. It is undoubtedly a great EV and a great drive-train (even in its Classic RWD guise it is a great drive-train), and a massive cargo carrier for its type, but overall, it is not unconditionally the most exciting car I've owned. I mean, after a break it is nice to return to it and I again remember how cool it actually is... but I take some breaks from it for practical but sometimes also for other reasons.

EVs are no fad to me, nor is the P85. But it isn't the end-all-be-all either. Probably the Model X won't be that, but I hope the Model X will still be the most exciting car and one that I want to return to as often as possible. It seems to tick so many more boxes of excitement for me than my current does, or a even a new, Model S would. Cars/SUVs can be both practical and emotional journeys, surely, and sometimes you know only after time.

By the way, I also reserved a Model 3 recently. Wondering if going BEV only (replacing ICEs with the Model 3) in that timeframe might be possible. Not sure today, but we shall see.

Who knows, it is as expensive a reserve as the Model X Signature money was. :)

It's great to see you back ! I've quite enjoyed your long and arguments posts on this forum.

Sorry for juste selecting a very small part of your interesting story, but I believe the part I quoted below is not quite true.
The non-folding second row is probably the biggest single drawback, after delays, of the controversial Falcon Wing doors - I am convinced the doors are the reason they couldn't get folding second-row certified yet, because of seat-belt placement (they will eventually, I think for certain for 5-seater, perhaps for all models).

The Renault Espace (not the last one, but a few model years had that feature) had a completely flat floor from behind the front seats all the way to the back; they were various rails on which you could put the five (or any number of) seats in any configuration you liked. And the seats were completely independent (so the seat-belts were integrated in the seats.)

This picture speaks for itself :
renaultespace_3_560px.jpg

So, it certainly was possible to design completely practical (and quite confortable) seats with their seat-belts. (But damn those things were heavy !)

It is quite possible that regulations have changed since that time, or that these seats were deemed too heavy for an EV by Tesla, or many other good reasons could explain why such seats are not present on the MX.

Reactions: Rouget
spottyq: Thank you. You make a fair point. Though I think it was pretty conclusively examined on TMC earlier that no U.S. version of seatbelts-in-seats folding cars had been made in recent times, so those cars that in Europe had such seats, had different rigid seats on the U.S. or examples were really old or never made it to Tesla's home market...

So it is still possible U.S. (or newer) regulation (or merely updated safety testing standards) has put pressure on the seating that had delayed the folding seats. But I agree, nothing mechanically stops from making such folding seatbelt-integrated seats. It may just be very difficult to do today in a regulated, five star manner globally speaking.

Anyway, what seems clear is that Falcon Wings have demanded this type of seatbelt. Without Falcon Wings, they could have integrated the seatbelts to the sides of the car more easier and gotten an easier time with the second row.

p.s. Thank you for the nice welcome!

Reactions: spottyq
So, went with the P100DL upgrade (car not built yet). They said parts availability (for Europe?) would take perhaps until early 2017 so they confirmed they will upgrade it as soon as available and will honor the 10k price after delivery. Price is roughly the dollar equivalent plus local tax.

I'm cool with that.

Hello all, I guess I've made some friends and frenemies at TMC over the years so I thought I'd owe you guys an update where things stand. :) Especially given my long and arduous participation in the Model X anticipation threads, maybe this story needs an ending of sort...

I finally took Model X delivery a while ago in Q1. I actually ended up doing what also a few other people here did, the advances in batteries and Autopilot made me re-order during the process. Tesla accommodated the switch gracefully and with reasonable cost for all involved. So I finally ended up with a P100D 6 seater AP2 with everything, but no Signature badge. That decision caused me some internal debate, but in the end as a technically-minded person I guess it was the right call. Still got the seat ventilation and free Supercharging.

I will get back on the Model X experiences down the road on this forum, I'm sure, but for now as a sort of epilogue for my first Tesla, a few more winter comments. I drove the Model S for nearly three winters, and gathered some insights I posted here recently (quoted below). I close with a few more notes on that:

I've lived three winters with the Model S P85 in an area with winter conditions and the only problems I report are external or usability "California car" niggles, some things are not so well thought out for winter. But the battery and the drivetrain are not a problem - I don't even charge every day and I park outside. Sometimes I remember to use the app for heating the car, other times not. It has worked as well or better as any gasoline car.

Now, there are some smaller "California" issues of course that are a pain, but not any kind of showstoppers:

- The door handles do often freeze to their extended position (no problems extending them though, that's explosive if need be) as water condenses and freezes on the cavities on top of them - a better design might help here. Sometimes I've used a hair blower to unfreeze them, other times I just leave them extended.

- The folding mirrors freeze closed far more often than on any other car I've owned due to IMO a design flaw that leaves a part of the mirrors holder plane exposed on the outside when the mirror is folded, that's just inviting trouble.This means freezing and snow will create an actual barrier for the mirror unfolding. Germans also usually have plastic non-painted parts covering the folding surfaces that don't scratch so easily, you have to be careful with Tesla's mirrors. Only remedy I've found is turning folding off for the winter. I don't have to turn it off on any of my other cars.

- The charge port at first was very hard to open during winter because it froze shut and you could not force its mechanism to unlock reliably while standing near to it (so that you can push its rear end to force it open while its locking magnet unlocks). This has been remedied a bit by a software update with the ability to unlock the magnet now from the car's key remote (the button on the charge cable is not as reliable at all). So I push the charge port door's end and unlock it simultaneously to open when frozen. Newer cars have upgraded auto-closing charge port doors, maybe they work better.

- The frameless windows are a pain in the winter and more so than in Audi's I've had with similar windows. They just keep freezing into their upwards position more often, which means during winter some doors have to be closed from the outside carefully while pushing the window inwards a bit, so it fits under the aluminium trim. I've gotten used to opening and closing doors for my passengers.

- The heating of the car is not really optimized for winter conditions. I have had trouble keeping the blowers / window heaters on when parked, they keep turning off, meaning I can not reliably leave them on while cleaning the car of snow. Normally with an ICE we are taught to the car on, turn all blowers/heaters to max, and then go outside to clean the snow. With Tesla, it just keeps shutting everything down when I leave the car, so the windows remain misty and foggy on the inside when I return. They are not controllable through the app either. Obviously something one does not think of in California.

- No washers for headlights. Harder to keep them clean in poor weather. Actually a really rare omission in a car of this price in Europe. I guess this is more an American car thing perhaps than a California car thing.

Upside is the remote heating/cooling in general, it is better than the average gasoline heater/ventilator, of course, thanks to the big battery. Getting the car inside toasty is easy. Too bad the extremeties of the car are still troublesome.

Still, the biggest part, driving it, no problems. Battery does of course deplete a bit faster during winter conditions, but that's manageable.

One thing I would like to add to the list of Model S improvements is how the fan control for the front window "heating" works - it really should not start at mid-level in cold weather, waiting for the air to warm up, but boost immediately to full blast 11. This is how e.g. Audi does their front window "heating" (for cars without actual front window heaters), it goes to full blow immediately, as it should, because that is important for clearing up the fog that appears on the inside of the window in cold weather. Now that is an annoying manual step.

I also tried to keep the window fans running then leaving the driver's seat to clear the windows on the outside, with the push brake and put car on park trick someone suggested on TMC, but it did not work for me no matter what I tried. Most of the time (if not all the time), the Model S turns off its window blowers when I leave the car to clear the windows, unless I leave the driver's door open, which of course negates much of the interior blowing and heating effect... This is beyond annoying, to say the least.

It would also be welcome to be able to turn off that additional wipe some time after window cleaning. It would seem like an easy software option to add and would greatly help in certain climatic conditions, where the extra wipe tends to smear more than help anything. So, some very easy software fruits for Tesla to be picked up, for those of us who drive in winter weather.

Finally, the RWD works surprisingly well in winter, with the high torque and even power delivery and weight distribution, though of course the dual-motor AWD in the Model X is superior in those tricky spots and going off the line.

Looking forward to the future, I plan on replacing at least one ICE with an EV within the next 2 years or so. My current candidates include the Jaguar I-Pace, Tesla Model 3 and Audi e-tron quattro - in that order of current preference - though the view ahead is so fuzzy I would consider these very preliminary musings, not much more.

Thought I'd post a few notes of the Model X driving experience, from the vantage point of my minute interests. I notice that I've been spending a lot of time noting the subtle differences that Model X has compared to my old 2014 Model S. It is, overall, despite all the jokes and well-deserved practicality criticisms that I like to throw at this lovable weirdmobile, a step up from that Model S of 2014. (Many of these changes of course affect latter-day Model S as well.) Others can talk of Ludicrous mode or Autopilot or whatever they like to gush about, I'll talk buttons. And chargeports. (Which as auto-closing and having a light inside a bit like the U.S. version is improved over the old.)

For instance, the steering wheel no longer has distinct buttons, but the areas around the rollers are single pieces of plastic. I'm not sure if this is an improvement in usability, but certainly it looks better and is easier to clean. A similar thing has happened in the Tesla Mobile charging cable, which had its button changed to a bendable area in the metal some time ago - also difference on old Model S and new Model X. The cruise control stalk has also been upgraded - my old one already was one the few "classic" Model S to have the new stalk configuration - but here the pointlessly used cruise button at the top of the stalk and the later disabled light have been removed (the button would still be useful, had it been used to set speed, though). And of course the stalk has the adaptive cruise distance setting.

Oh and the roof lights (where they forgot to take of the plastic protection, one the few minor niggles of my delivery, the other one was a part of the front seat laying on the floor undeneath it - really) you can click and swipe to enable different individual LEDs, suitably pointless but beautiful design for Model X. Certainly a nice evolution of the physically clickable lights of the Model S. I'm sensing a theme here...

Talking about lighting, there are simply more lights everywhere I look. I notice the USB ports are lit as are the door pockets - I guess the latter may have been true for Model S as well, don't quite remember, but everything here is very white and very LED. Crisper. That is a noticeable difference and a fairly good use of lighting, even though the car lacks the kind of premium light shows German premiums at this price-range offer. It would be great to see what Tesla could do with their brave software approach if they installed a more customizable lighting system still.

Indeed many of the smaller physical parts are different, suggesting that Tesla has had more custom-parts made for the Model X than Model S where they were raiding the Mercedes Benz parts bin pretty much as was. The buttons closing the trunk (and similarly the falcon wings) are nicer than on my Model S. Small, but subtle feel of premium there. (My early 2017 built Model X does not have the new FWD buttons on second-row, in case someone is wondering, so must be a later addition. I like the look of my old FWD buttons better, but agree they are harder to understand. No matter, I have disabled their use altogether anyway. Too many horror stories on TMC.)

Moving from the minute details to something bigger, the Premium Seats are a pretty big deal compared to what I had in my Model S. You just sit in them that much tighter and there is seat-belt adjustment. That said, the leather in my car overall is looser (like it was on the Model S as well) compared to my average previous car, so certainly I am on the lookout for issues or maybe steaming the leather, but overall I like the new seats. They lack many of the additional comforts (controls for side bolsters, seat length, upper seatback, massage etc.) of premium Germans again, but they are a definite improvement for Tesla. I like the separate headrest control in the 8.1 update too. And the much-discussed seat ventilation (suction removing moisture and hot air away from you) certainly works, but effectiveness needs a warmer season to assess. Sad to see it go from new purchases.

While we are on the topic of seating, I have been following the conversations on the trunk area with interest (indeed, a wrote a summary of the Model X five-seat evolution). It is fascinating the level of small changes Tesla keeps introducing - not that model year changes in the competiton don't do this as well, but with Tesla it is so constant and random that it is intriguing, really. The new FWD buttons topic was mentioned above, and new matte seatbacks of course (my car has glossy seatbacks, which I think are a nice, more premium look but worry about practicality).

One thing my car has, probably a side-effect of the five-seater development, though mine is of course a six-seater, is the slightly larger trunk and third-row footwell. When I say slightly larger, I really mean slightly larger as my post (Trying out wrong VIN Tesla mats and third-party Model S goodies on Model X) on trying out Tesla's winter mats for pre-VIN F022381 six-seater rear and folded trunk show. Basically the side walls have been re-designed to leave a little more of the floor open and removing the rails/shelves on the top of the sides of the trunk, shaving excesses here and there. Those mats are thus slightly too small for my post-VIN F022381 six-seater, but still perfectly usable until new ones arrive.

On the rear we have been discussing third-party coat-hooks for Model X here and here. I have the Evannex 'HookUp' Coat Hooks - Set of Two for Tesla Model S and have tried to install them on the Model X. The carpeted trim goes much closer to the roof glass on the Model X compared to my Model S panoramic roof, so my initial impression was that they won't fit. Same in the front. @vandacca has a different experience, but it seems this may be one more of those design iterations - my Model X may have a different/tighter trim there. Even on second take, I didn't find any way non-violent to fit in the coat-hooks.

That brings me to the glass roof, which is certainly impressive in its own right, but I must agree with Captain Sunshade aka @K-MTG that the tinting on the roof is barely adequate for any sunshine, though my concern is more glare than heat. I did get the Model X sunshade tucked away in the trunk, but putting that in place is rather cumbersome and cramps style big time. So far I have left of it off and been just "dealing with" the issue. Turns out, that place where cars normally have metal between the A pillars is actually quite important for glare prevention from a driver perspective.

Were this a German premium, there would just be a button and sunshade would roll out on demand, but Tesla is surprisingly low-tech in that way. On the other hand, the driver and front passenger magnetic sunshades are a little cumbersome, but overall a nice solution there. The lighted vanity mirrors are very welcome too. The only thing that diminishes their value is how much glare still gets through above them.

Finally, the front center console is of course a big difference between my Model X and old Model S. I had the yatch floor on the previous one, which I liked visually and for the space it had for larger items I wanted to keep close (so that they won't tip/spill), like takeout food bags. That said, the new center console is more functional for a lot more everyday cases, especially as having the open cubby where to put your phone or wallet while driving - even though the open cubby does make the use of USB Rotators impossible).

The phone dock is of very limited use to me due to a lacking USB-C cable and partitions for pretty much anything than iPhone. A few more plastic pieces for popular e.g. Samsung sizes and a USB-C cable would be welcome additions. Also, future cars should really be designed to have a third USB port in a place where the cable can be run non-visibly. A cable sticking out like that and going under the trim is a bit amateurish.

The USB charging ports (three) and additional cup holders (four) on second and third rows are welcome additions. And the front seats have actual seat pockets in addition to the tiny handle pockets! Yay. The improved ventilation and sound system is evident by more adjustable vents and openings everywhere. In many ways these kinds of details do make the car seem more whole than it used to. If judging just by the details and forget about the practicality issues (an all folding classic Model S had impressive trunk and frunk space compared to Model X as well as no falcon wings and yes roof-racks) etc., the Model X certainly is a better car than my old Model S.

If there is any point to this write-up, it is that Tesla has ways to go, especially with all the removed features since then, but following the evolution of Tesla can certainly be fascinating, if one is slightly nuts as I am. Other than the removed trunk cargo cover rails, the cars of my age are rare to have most things Model X has been getting at their current peak, including free trim selection, seat ventilation, active spoiler, free Supercharging and three different factory wheel designs, not just two and colors.

Any detail I missed?

Reactions: F123456 and K-MTG
But for me, the Falcon Wings certainly still are the deal maker. I will hate them, the attention they get from bystanders (frankly, I often dislike the still occasional Tesla moments when parking the Model S too, though some interactions are nice) and the family will hate them every time we are in a tight spot where I will not let them open the doors or somesuch. And when getting that one small item from the back and waiting it do its dance, I will wish it weren't so. Also, the front doors seem like tons of trouble - I really don't see why the electric opening concept had to be extended to them as well. But then again, I also know that I will love them all. I will play with the front door automated chauffer and enjoy closing the front passenger's door electrically. And I will marvel those Falcon Wings and the family will too. And since they are all computerized, I will enjoy witnessing OTA updates and see what they do over time.

Replying to your original post - I feel the same way. The Model X is designed "minimalist" enough that it doesn't really stand out from the crowd (which imo is a good thing), but the doors generate attention. I would much rather have regular doors, or even better, sliding doors, even though I know they aren't "cool" because they look like a minivan...but they're so practical! I am interested in the X for the performance & Autopilot, not for attention, and the FWD are probably the biggest thing I don't care for about the car as my DD. Not that I hate the doors - the Delorean was my absolute favorite car growing up & I would own one today if it weren't for the terrible safety of the design - but I would be interested in an option without them.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Moving from the minute details to something bigger, the Premium Seats are a pretty big deal compared to what I had in my Model S. You just sit in them that much tighter and there is seat-belt adjustment. That said, the leather in my car overall is looser (like it was on the Model S as well) compared to my average previous car, so certainly I am on the lookout for issues or maybe steaming the leather, but overall I like the new seats. They lack many of the additional comforts (controls for side bolsters, seat length, upper seatback, massage etc.) of premium Germans again, but they are a definite improvement for Tesla. I like the separate headrest control in the 8.1 update too. And the much-discussed seat ventilation (suction removing moisture and hot air away from you) certainly works, but effectiveness needs a warmer season to assess. Sad to see it go from new purchases.

I posted a thread the other day asking whether or not there would be a luxury Model X in the future. There are a lot of little things I would like to see in the X, especially for the $150k+ maxed-out price of the current revision. I am in no rush to order mine; I'm considering waiting until the fall, after the 3's official reveal & initial shipments, to see if they start upgrading the X to differentiate it from the 3.

Thought I'd post a few notes of the Model X driving experience, from the vantage point of my minute interests. I notice that I've been spending a lot of time noting the subtle differences that Model X has compared to my old 2014 Model S. It is, overall, despite all the jokes and well-deserved practicality criticisms that I like to throw at this lovable weirdmobile, a step up from that Model S of 2014. (Many of these changes of course affect latter-day Model S as well.) Others can talk of Ludicrous mode or Autopilot or whatever they like to gush about, I'll talk buttons. And chargeports. (Which as auto-closing and having a light inside a bit like the U.S. version is improved over the old.)

For instance, the steering wheel no longer has distinct buttons, but the areas around the rollers are single pieces of plastic. I'm not sure if this is an improvement in usability, but certainly it looks better and is easier to clean. A similar thing has happened in the Tesla Mobile charging cable, which had its button changed to a bendable area in the metal some time ago - also difference on old Model S and new Model X. The cruise control stalk has also been upgraded - my old one already was one the few "classic" Model S to have the new stalk configuration - but here the pointlessly used cruise button at the top of the stalk and the later disabled light have been removed (the button would still be useful, had it been used to set speed, though). And of course the stalk has the adaptive cruise distance setting.

Oh and the roof lights (where they forgot to take of the plastic protection, one the few minor niggles of my delivery, the other one was a part of the front seat laying on the floor undeneath it - really) you can click and swipe to enable different individual LEDs, suitably pointless but beautiful design for Model X. Certainly a nice evolution of the physically clickable lights of the Model S. I'm sensing a theme here...

Talking about lighting, there are simply more lights everywhere I look. I notice the USB ports are lit as are the door pockets - I guess the latter may have been true for Model S as well, don't quite remember, but everything here is very white and very LED. Crisper. That is a noticeable difference and a fairly good use of lighting, even though the car lacks the kind of premium light shows German premiums at this price-range offer. It would be great to see what Tesla could do with their brave software approach if they installed a more customizable lighting system still.

Indeed many of the smaller physical parts are different, suggesting that Tesla has had more custom-parts made for the Model X than Model S where they were raiding the Mercedes Benz parts bin pretty much as was. The buttons closing the trunk (and similarly the falcon wings) are nicer than on my Model S. Small, but subtle feel of premium there. (My early 2017 built Model X does not have the new FWD buttons on second-row, in case someone is wondering, so must be a later addition. I like the look of my old FWD buttons better, but agree they are harder to understand. No matter, I have disabled their use altogether anyway. Too many horror stories on TMC.)

While we are on the topic of seating, I have been following the conversations on the trunk area with interest (indeed, a wrote a summary of the Model X five-seat evolution). It is fascinating the level of small changes Tesla keeps introducing - not that model year changes in the competiton don't do this as well, but with Tesla it is so constant and random that it is intriguing, really. The new FWD buttons topic was mentioned above, and new matte seatbacks of course (my car has glossy seatbacks, which I think are a nice, more premium look but worry about practicality).

One thing my car has, probably a side-effect of the five-seater development, though mine is of course a six-seater, is the slightly larger trunk and third-row footwell. When I say slightly larger, I really mean slightly larger as my post (Trying out wrong VIN Tesla mats and third-party Model S goodies on Model X) on trying out Tesla's winter mats for pre-VIN F022381 six-seater rear and folded trunk show. Basically the side walls have been re-designed to leave a little more of the floor open and removing the rails/shelves on the top of the sides of the trunk, shaving excesses here and there. Those mats are thus slightly too small for my post-VIN F022381 six-seater, but still perfectly usable until new ones arrive.

On the rear we have been discussing third-party coat-hooks for Model X here and here. I have the Evannex 'HookUp' Coat Hooks - Set of Two for Tesla Model S and have tried to install them on the Model X. The carpeted trim goes much closer to the roof glass on the Model X compared to my Model S panoramic roof, so my initial impression was that they won't fit. Same in the front. @vandacca has a different experience, but it seems this may be one more of those design iterations - my Model X may have a different/tighter trim there. Even on second take, I didn't find any way non-violent to fit in the coat-hooks.

That brings me to the glass roof, which is certainly impressive in its own right, but I must agree with Captain Sunshade aka @K-MTG that the tinting on the roof is barely adequate for any sunshine, though my concern is more glare than heat. I did get the Model X sunshade tucked away in the trunk, but putting that in place is rather cumbersome and cramps style big time. So far I have left of it off and been just "dealing with" the issue. Turns out, that place where cars normally have metal between the A pillars is actually quite important for glare prevention from a driver perspective.

Were this a German premium, there would just be a button and sunshade would roll out on demand, but Tesla is surprisingly low-tech in that way. On the other hand, the driver and front passenger magnetic sunshades are a little cumbersome, but overall a nice solution there. The lighted vanity mirrors are very welcome too. The only thing that diminishes their value is how much glare still gets through above them.

Finally, the front center console is of course a big difference between my Model X and old Model S. I had the yatch floor on the previous one, which I liked visually and for the space it had for larger items I wanted to keep close (so that they won't tip/spill), like takeout food bags. That said, the new center console is more functional for a lot more everyday cases, especially as having the open cubby where to put your phone or wallet while driving - even though the open cubby does make the use of USB Rotators impossible).

The phone dock is of very limited use to me due to a lacking USB-C cable and partitions for pretty much anything than iPhone. A few more plastic pieces for popular e.g. Samsung sizes and a USB-C cable would be welcome additions. Also, future cars should really be designed to have a third USB port in a place where the cable can be run non-visibly. A cable sticking out like that and going under the trim is a bit amateurish.

The USB charging ports (three) and additional cup holders (four) on second and third rows are welcome additions. And the front seats have actual seat pockets in addition to the tiny handle pockets! Yay. The improved ventilation and sound system is evident by more adjustable vents and openings everywhere. In many ways these kinds of details do make the car seem more whole than it used to. If judging just by the details and forget about the practicality issues (an all folding classic Model S had impressive trunk and frunk space compared to Model X as well as no falcon wings and yes roof-racks) etc., the Model X certainly is a better car than my old Model S.

If there is any point to this write-up, it is that Tesla has ways to go, especially with all the removed features since then, but following the evolution of Tesla can certainly be fascinating, if one is slightly nuts as I am. Other than the removed trunk cargo cover rails, the cars of my age are rare to have most things Model X has been getting at their current peak, including free trim selection, seat ventilation, active spoiler, free Supercharging and three different factory wheel designs, not just two and colors.

Any detail I missed?
Thank you for the detailed view of the subtle differences. I just commented on a post where a perspective X purchaser was reluctant because of his S interior experience. I expressed that the S loaners just felt less inferior from every measure and quite couldn't put a finger on it. But, your explanation hit it straight on. All of the little and subtle improvements in totality make a huge difference even if the layout is still similar.

Replying to your original post - I feel the same way. The Model X is designed "minimalist" enough that it doesn't really stand out from the crowd (which imo is a good thing), but the doors generate attention. I would much rather have regular doors, or even better, sliding doors, even though I know they aren't "cool" because they look like a minivan...but they're so practical! I am interested in the X for the performance & Autopilot, not for attention, and the FWD are probably the biggest thing I don't care for about the car as my DD. Not that I hate the doors - the Delorean was my absolute favorite car growing up & I would own one today if it weren't for the terrible safety of the design - but I would be interested in an option without them.

Thank you for the thoughtful comments, @swon. Appreciate them.

Incidentally, I just wrote about my nascent Falcocornuphobia - the irrational fear of falcon wing doors that is - on another thread. And of course I have been making the case that falcon wing doors are slowing down Model X adoption as well as obviously having slowed down design, manufacturing and features (e.g. folding seats due to in-seat seat belts required by the door design). So I really sympathise with what you say.

Having said that, as a purely subjective thing, I would have struggled with the selection had regular and/or sliding-doors been available in addition to the falcon wing option. Maybe it is the DeLorean you point out, maybe it is just the early-adopter tech-head in me, or some eternal child, but I really do like and want to have those doors.

It's just that I don't really seem to want to use them. :) I wonder if this is why they warn about dreams.

I posted a thread the other day asking whether or not there would be a luxury Model X in the future. There are a lot of little things I would like to see in the X, especially for the $150k+ maxed-out price of the current revision. I am in no rush to order mine; I'm considering waiting until the fall, after the 3's official reveal & initial shipments, to see if they start upgrading the X to differentiate it from the 3.

I guess a lot of us have been expecting Tesla to overhaul the Model S/X interior, but it seems so far they have resorted to making small incremental changes (some to the better, some to the worse) quarter to quarter. The five-seater seemed like an obvious point for introducing a re-designed folding second row for the six/seven-seater as well, but that didn't materialize. Even the Volvo hire many have been pinning their hopes on seems to have been more about streamlining/simplifying and perhaps improving the quality of interior production, so far.

So, who knows. I think by autumn a new big-screen computer seems plausible and I have never completely written off the HUD either. And some smaller changes, for sure. But whether or not a big overhaul is in the cards, that seems completely anyone's guess...

As for waiting, I agree - my eternal advice with Tesla is to wait, always wait. Never buy, especially if you already have a Tesla or if you don't absolutely have to to buy one. Given the constantly moving target and a constant Osborne Effect, where from the moment you order to the time you receive your car the product has probably changed many times... what else could the advice be. Tesla is quite unique in this issue.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: madodel
Thank you for the detailed view of the subtle differences. I just commented on a post where a perspective X purchaser was reluctant because of his S interior experience. I expressed that the S loaners just felt less inferior from every measure and quite couldn't put a finger on it. But, your explanation hit it straight on. All of the little and subtle improvements in totality make a huge difference even if the layout is still similar.

Agreed. I should also point out @MiddKid 's thoughtful review making similar observations: 4/22 100D Delivery, Thoughts from Model S Veteran

Reactions: MiddKid
I guess a lot of us have been expecting Tesla to overhaul the Model S/X interior, but it seems so far they have resorted to making small incremental changes (some to the better, some to the worse) quarter to quarter. The five-seater seemed like an obvious point for introducing a re-designed folding second row for the six/seven-seater as well, but that didn't materialize. Even the Volvo hire many have been pinning their hopes on seems to have been more about streamlining/simplifying and perhaps improving the quality of interior production, so far.

So, who knows. I think by autumn a new big-screen computer seems plausible and I have never completely written off the HUD either. And some smaller changes, for sure. But whether or not a big overhaul is in the cards, that seems completely anyone's guess...

As for waiting, I agree - my eternal advice with Tesla is to wait, always wait. Never buy, especially if you already have a Tesla or if you don't absolutely have to to buy one. Given the constantly moving target and a constant Osborne Effect, where from the moment you order to the time you receive your car the product has probably changed many times... what else could the advice be. Tesla is quite unique in this issue.

I think a HUD would be great. The Navdy is a great device (although it requires you to focus your eyes a bit too much, which takes the road out of focus...).

I do like the updated darker small wheels & second-row center console. Order today, arrives by June! Although I'm not in "need" of a car until the end of the year...ho hum.

I am very curious about how long the X would last. Not just being electric & lower maintenance than an ICE vehicle, but with the fit & finish, Falcon wing door alignment over time, and so on.