Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Story: From Model S to Model X Signature reservation, to...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@swon On the HUD timing - depending on whether or not such a thing is coming at all, of course (some of my speculation/reasoning on that here) - my mind seems to be on an eternal teeter totter, given that we probably know for a fact that it is not coming to Model 3 on launch and as such not to Model 3 anytime soon (not in the first one, two quarters at least).

Sometimes I think no way would Tesla release it anytime soon on Model S/X to mess with the Model 3 launch (i.e. no distractions or further reasons for people to postpone Model 3 buying to wait for a feature), then again at other times I'm convinced Elon could have referred to this when he said S/X will always have the best technology. Maybe to give S/X a demand lever, they could give it a unique new feature that Model 3 does not have... while thinking that Model 3 will sell its self on pricepoint anyway, why not direct some buyers to S/X on features...

Be HUD as it may, one thing that I also have been thinking might be upgraded in Model S/X related to Model 3 launch is the big screen computer. If Model 3 is launching with a new generation chip, giving that to Model S/X at the same time would seem plausible. And again, that new generation chip might be related to plans such as the HUD...

And so the seesaw of the mind keeps moving.

Reactions: boaterva
Personally I have been happy with the decision to postpone the Model X delivery once to get AP2 but to go for it in Q1/2017. In the everchanging landscape of Tesla product changes, so far the odds have been in my favor.

Several notable things of value to me, which I got to take advantage of - free Supercharging, Helix wheels, seat ventilation, available interior materials and automated spoiler - have been discontinued from new orders since I placed my order and/or took delivery. All this while so far only two things have been added, the dark 20" wheels that I dislike immensely (I dislike both their design and their color), and the second-row center console that I might have entertained for a few seconds as an option and like it that Tesla offers it, but wouldn't have ordered as the center aisle was an important factor, because it is crazy weird. The whole car is crazy weird and that crazy weird is what sealed the deal on Model X for me.

Yet, I know there will be features that will make my car outdated shortly that I would have selected were they options. I expect a new big screen computer, possibly HUD and finally charging port/speed changes to be the major ones. Most of these will not be upgradeable for olds cars, though of course some smaller things might be. Perhaps there will also be an interior overhaul at some point, or a folding second row, who knows. And large cell batteries. But at the same time I think the timing means I got some things even those updated cars may not get and some of those things have surprisingly large value for me personally.

That is all I can say about Tesla purchase timing, try to guess what is coming and what is not, and compare that with when you really feel you need the car. If need be, refuse delivery and try again, as the situation warrants.

For me it helped that my old Model S without driving aids was getting rather long in the tooth and with the continuing outdating and depreciation I was ready to swap it out twelve months before I did, especially given that originally it was meant to be a temp (I accepted a lot of limitations thinking it was a temp) and was planning to exchange it to a Model X in 2015 (before Eds told us how long the process would actually be ;) ). Interestingly all that passionate following of the Model X meant it was also psychologically getting to the point of either I get a Model X finally or move on from that idea, give up and resign to driving the current car and start waiting for the next round of BEVs.

You know how something just kind of wears you out... the wait for the Model X was wearing me out. I was losing interest. Buying the thing rekindled my interest in a nice way. Now I am interested in enjoying it. Even after a couple of months of Model X ownership I hate the car in all the expected ways (it is by far the most dysfunctional, impractical, stupidest vehicle I have ever owned - outside of droptops - that I am literally afraid to drive), yet have no regrets. This is the car I decided was my next car all those years ago. I guess this is the DeLorean of my generation. They say never meet your heros and they are kind of right, but then again they are also kind of wrong.

Since then, though, I have happily moved on with my new car antennas/feelers to new exciting things that are still in their respective incubation periods. I find that nice tingling feeling again looking at things such as the I-Pace or the e-tron quattros. And do bring on that Model Y, won't ya. Those things are in the future, maybe yes, maybe not, but it is fun to be looking again. In the meanwhile, I like meeting my hero every day on the driveway. (And then hate it when I actually have to use it for something.)

No, I don't think I could have stayed excited about the Model X much longer. At some point, even without model years, that new car you drooled after just becomes one more old car and then the mind tends to wander onto new things. It takes decades to create a timeless classic, unfortunately. Model X is not there yet.

There is no moral to this story. This is purely how I subjectively went through the process and felt about it. Your mileage will wary, but whatever you do, do right for you.

Last edited:
By the way, one more unexpected thing where Model X has been slightly more mature car compared to my 2014 Model S: the seatbelts.

I of course knew about the addition of adjustable front seatbelts, but the seatbelts also implement active and reversible pre-tensioning, which the Model S did not. Model S (at least the 2014 one) had the old pre-tensioning system where explosive bolts activate on impact and glue you to the seat, which you have to replace after crashes and which did nothing actively during normal driving. Or so I've read, luckily I never needed it.

In the Model X I have already noticed the active seatbelts tightening many times during spirited acceleration, something that my old Audi A8 also did back in 2010 onwards. This small but instantly recognizable safety feature is one of those little things that help create that feeling of a high-end cocoon. It is the feeling of the car actively taking care of you.

Even though sometimes the tightening might result in a manual effort to loosen it a bit, I like this small upgrade. Have enough of these small upgrades, like the Model X has, it simply feels a step up from the old Model S interior-wise.

I have also learned to operate the sun visors in all the ways they go, to block out sun and glare on most days. I have not pulled out the manually installable sunscreen yet. Sometimes the sun still gets you above the visor, which is not nice, but some attitude adjustment and learning to operate the crazy weird sun visors have made it manageable so far. I do think this car may need sun glasses more than many cars. We shall see how this fares in the summer.

Finally, the car really needs better blind spot detection (hopefully addressed later with the AP2 backwards looking cameras), as seeing through the rear windows' tint is pretty hard. This is a car that is quite brutal to your senses in many ways. As said, I am literally afraid of driving it. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: F123456
By the way, one more unexpected thing where Model X has been slightly more mature car compared to my 2014 Model S: the seatbelts.

I of course knew about the addition of adjustable front seatbelts, but the seatbelts also implement active and reversible pre-tensioning, which the Model S did not. Model S (at least the 2014 one) had the old pre-tensioning system where explosive bolts activate on impact and glue you to the seat, which you have to replace after crashes and which did nothing actively during normal driving. Or so I've read, luckily I never needed it.

In the Model X I have already noticed the active seatbelts tightening many times during spirited acceleration, something that my old Audi A8 also did back in 2010 onwards. This small but instantly recognizable safety feature is one of those little things that help create that feeling of a high-end cocoon. It is the feeling of the car actively taking care of you.

Even though sometimes the tightening might result in a manual effort to loosen it a bit, I like this small upgrade. Have enough of these small upgrades, like the Model X has, it simply feels a step up from the old Model S interior-wise.

I have also learned to operate the sun visors in all the ways they go, to block out sun and glare on most days. I have not pulled out the manually installable sunscreen yet. Sometimes the sun still gets you above the visor, which is not nice, but some attitude adjustment and learning to operate the crazy weird sun visors have made it manageable so far. I do think this car may need sun glasses more than many cars. We shall see how this fares in the summer.

Finally, the car really needs better blind spot detection (hopefully addressed later with the AP2 backwards looking cameras), as seeing through the rear windows' tint is pretty hard. This is a car that is quite brutal to your senses in many ways. As said, I am literally afraid of driving it. :)
Concur on the blind spot... when I would turn my head to 'check 8' to see if anyone was back there, the dark tint was a real pain. Too bad the back side tint isn't optional, also.

Speaking of which, maybe it's me, but when I adjust the side mirrors the 'correct' way to cover the blind spot, they appear not to have the correct range of motion. This method is supposed to be: Put your head against the side window and adjust the left mirror to see down the side of the car. For the right mirror, put your head in line with the center mirror, and do the same. That angle means that when you are in your normal position, the mirrors cover the blind spots automatically.

But these X's mirrors complain about 'going that far'. Never had that problem on any other car in 25 years. I would have thought someone at Tesla would have had this much experience with automobile side mirrors....

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger

I wonder how many of you operate the visor not only in its locked position but also by sort of following the sun with it in all sorts of weird twisted positions? It is not necessarily a very stylish tool when used like that, but it is surprisingly functional. The big manual sunshade is not very interesting, I think that would cramp the style even more... but the visors are useful.

I think if my winter experiences were a constant topic with the Model S, summer and glare issues are the thing with the Model X. :) We shall see about heat, so far it has only been about the sun's glare for me - moving the visor just so all the time that it blocks the direct beams...

A note on the wheels:

I get it that I may be in a minority, as a lot of people really like the turbines and the slipstreams and sonics (basically the same wheel in different sizes and colors), but I have grown to appreciate my Helix set even more after its recent discontinuation.

They were sort of an okay compromise originally, for me. I just despise the Tesla's turbine wheels personally, so Helix were the only wheels I could come to terms with, and also because 20" really felt mandatory for range and comfort reasons. It was also nice that they weren't the base wheels, just to get that small bit of customization there.

Now that I've had them for some time, their intricacies have really grown on me. Especially the way they cover the lug nuts with a central place. I kind of like that. And the sharp lip around the edges, hard to see on photos. Also, their discontinuation adds a little bit of emotion to it all. :)

All that said, even with the 20" the ride is quite hard - especially in the higher air suspension settings (discussion on this elsewhere). I prefer the ride in low setting, though of course I know the dampers are the same no matter what setting.