Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My super charger rate reduced from 130kW to 58kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have 2017 March MX with free super charging.
I have seen many times that my charging rate is reduced dramatically when someone starts sharing my paired one.
Yesterday I was charging at 130kW alone and another MX (newer one) came and used the paired one.
Then my charging rate immediately went down to 58kW.
Am I treated bad because I have free super charging?

Thanks.

No, you’re not being treated any differently than others that pay for Supercharging.

72kW and 150kW Superchargers are paired, which is why you’ll see them labeled 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, and so on. A and B spaces split power output when both chargers are being used. If there’s only one vehicle charging in two spaces, that vehicle receives 100% of the power output vs. 50%.

This isn’t an issue at 250kW Superchargers. It’s common courtesy to always leave one Supercharger space between you and another vehicle so that both vehicles receive the maximum output available. Of course, that’s not always possible if a Supercharging station is busy, but just be mindful.

I hope that answers your question, and may you enjoy the many Supercharging days you have ahead!

Thank you for your replay.
It was 150kW station. I know about the sharing.
In the past, the algorithm was first come person gets at least close to 90kW as long as that person's battery/heating can take it.
Immediately reducing me to 58kW doesn't make sense.
Why the person who came after me getting more than me?

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I assume it’s because they’re at a lower state of charge, so they’re able to take advantage of a higher charge rate. I believe it balances out as their SoC catches up to yours.
I was doing 130kW before that person came and I had only 60 miles.
I'm not asking to continue to give me 130kW. Since I'm the first person to start the charging..they should give at least 90kW.
Immediately dumping me to 58kW doesn't look fair to me.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I was doing 130kW before that person came and I had only 60 miles.
I'm not asking to continue to give me 130kW. Since I'm the first person to start the charging..they should give at least 90kW.
Immediately dumping me to 58kW doesn't look fair to me.

A few years ago the Supercharger behavior on paired V2 stalls changed, so that the "first car gets priority" rule no longer applies. Power is offered equally to both sides of a stall now. Whether you have free Supercharging or not is irrelevant.

I'm sure many forum posts could be made about what's "fair" or not, but that's the current behavior.

Bruce.

Moderator note: Moved this to the Battery and Charging subforum.

As I understand - when the other car that is sharing the same shared connection A/B and its battery achieves a higher State of Chare say > 60 % , and assuming your car is still at 40% battery charge, you could possibly see your rate of battery charging increase as the other car is now drawing a lesser current/KW ( Tesla battery management software starts reducing the rate of charge as your state of charge in the battery increases). Others more knowledgeable on this topic can comment or correct me if my understanding is wrong.

A few years ago the Supercharger behavior on paired V2 stalls changed, so that the "first car gets priority" rule no longer applies. Power is offered equally to both sides of a stall now. Whether you have free Supercharging or not is irrelevant.

I'm sure many forum posts could be made about what's "fair" or not, but that's the current behavior.

Bruce.

Moderator note: Moved this to the Battery and Charging subforum.
Thanks Bruce. That explains the behavior.
Still 58kW didn't look fair to me. It was instantaneous switch to 58kW.
I should have got at least 75kW.

I like the original method.
Give the max possible to the first car arrived and the left over to second one.

Thanks Bruce. That explains the behavior.
Still 58kW didn't look fair to me. It was instantaneous switch to 58kW.
I should have got at least 75kW.

I like the original method.
Give the max possible to the first car arrived and the left over to second one.

My supercharging speed was reduced by half by Tesla. I have confirmed this with multiple visits over the last 3 years. I have free unlimited supercharging.

At a nearly empty station with no one next to me, with state of charge at 30-40 miles on a pleasant day, I can expect a charging speed of maximum 180-200 mph for a brief 2 minutes before tapering to just 60 mph when the battery reaches 120 miles or so.

At the now dead Tesla forums, there was a big discussion about this. Some users said it was because those with free supercharging were affected. Some suggested it was those cars that charged at the superchargers all the time, or more than a certain % of time.(say 80%)

One my friends who bought his S85 in 2012 says his supercharging speed is so slow, he is selling the car soon, as it is all but unusable for long distance traveling beyond its initial charge radius. As is mine.

My supercharging speed was reduced by half by Tesla. I have confirmed this with multiple visits over the last 3 years. I have free unlimited supercharging.

At a nearly empty station with no one next to me, with state of charge at 30-40 miles on a pleasant day, I can expect a charging speed of maximum 180-200 mph for a brief 2 minutes before tapering to just 60 mph when the battery reaches 120 miles or so.

At the now dead Tesla forums, there was a big discussion about this. Some users said it was because those with free supercharging were affected. Some suggested it was those cars that charged at the superchargers all the time, or more than a certain % of time.(say 80%)

One my friends who bought his S85 in 2012 says his supercharging speed is so slow, he is selling the car soon, as it is all but unusable for long distance traveling beyond its initial charge radius. As is mine.
How many miles on your car? Which year?

My problem is different from yours. My 2017 model with 78k miles can still get 130kW (approximately ~400 mph) top speed if no one is paired with me.
It does taper...but I can get top speed for some time.

Reactions: scottf200
Hi,

I have 2017 March MX with free super charging.
I have seen many times that my charging rate is reduced dramatically when someone starts sharing my paired one.
Yesterday I was charging at 130kW alone and another MX (newer one) came and used the paired one.
Then my charging rate immediately went down to 58kW.
Am I treated bad because I have free super charging?

Thanks.
Nope. Standard behavior. When someone connects to adjacent paired stall, both of them drop to max rate of 72 Kw. It did not used to be that way, but it changed a couple of years ago. It only behaves this way on the 150 kw stations. There is no limiting on the 250 KW, or the 72 KW Urban chargers.

Nope. Standard behavior. When someone connects to adjacent paired stall, both of them drop to max rate of 72 Kw. It did not used to be that way, but it changed a couple of years ago. It only behaves this way on the 150 kw stations. There is no limiting on the 250 KW, or the 72 KW Urban chargers.
Thanks @DCGOO....72kW may be ok. I was dropped to 58kW when the other person plugged. I'll keep an eye on this next time.

How many miles on your car? Which year?

My problem is different from yours. My 2017 model with 78k miles can still get 130kW (approximately ~400 mph) top speed if no one is paired with me.
It does taper...but I can get top speed for some time.
It’s my 2013 S60 (original 60). I have 86K miles and my 100% charge is around 194 miles (originally 208).

My initial supercharging speed was nothing great even when new. I saw 300 mph a few times. It used to be like 250-275 mph most of the time. Then one fine day, it started to do only 150-160. After about six months it inexplicably went up to 180-200, but the taper is much quicker now, the spike lasts only 1-2 minutes.

Thanks @DCGOO....72kW may be ok. I was dropped to 58kW when the other person plugged. I'll keep an eye on this next time.
It just depends on where you were in the charging cycle. 72 KW is maximum possible, which usually means when starting out. If you were at 130 w 150 available, 58 is about right, cut in half.

It just depends on where you were in the charging cycle. 72 KW is maximum possible, which usually means when starting out. If you were at 130 w 150 available, 58 is about right, cut in half.
no...that is not fair.
I was getting 130kw because my battery could not take 150kw.
when the other person comes...I should get half of 150kw...not half of 130kw.

at least..if I'm SW guy that is how I program.

Reactions: sorka
there's certainly more stuff at play here.
Here's a session where I plugged next to a Model3 that was already there. At first I got 75kWh, that then dropped to 66-67 for unknown reason, then back to 75 that held real steady. Then they leave and... Mine shot up to 105...

the second is even worse. I charge, a model 3 comes, plugs side by side, my rate drops to 65...

So 75/75 split is a pipe dream in many cases.

Edit: for that second graph I added a graph of how it looks like when not sharing with anybody for comparison at that same location

Attachments

• charge.png
    charge.png
    147.6 KB · Views: 149
  • charge2.png
    charge2.png
    141.9 KB · Views: 48
  • charge2-not-shared.png
    charge2-not-shared.png
    132.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
there's certainly more stuff at play here.
Here's a session where I plugged next to a Model3 that was already there. At first I got 75kWh, that then dropped to 66-67 for unknown reason, then back to 75 that held real steady. Then they leave and... Mine shot up to 105...

the second is even worse. I charge, a model 3 comes, plugs side by side, my rate drops to 65...

So 75/75 split is a pipe dream in many cases.

Edit: for that second I added a graph of how it looks like when not sharing with anybody for comparison
yeah...definitely no love for old cars.

I bet....they have the following somewhere in their code.

if (freeSuperCharge)
canScrewThisGuy = 1;