Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My System Suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
My current system design I got from Tesla is a 9.9kw (30x330 Tesla panels with Solar edge inverter) and 1 Powerwall 2 with 10035kWh first year production estimate and a price tag of $38,484 before incentives.

I was told that I will not have my well pump, dryer, heater and AC load supported by Powerwall. My house is newly built and I moved here almost a year ago and so far there is no power outage. I am not able to decide if I have to go with only solar and dont have any Powerwall added or add an additional powerwall to support my additional loads.

As this community have have lot of people with different experiences, can you please provide inputs to consider for a best system possible.

Note: I live in Massachusetts so will have storms in the winter. If I add 4 more panels that will be the max possible system as per Tesla. Also ordered a new Model3 LR AWD and waiting for delivery.

Reactions: hodad66
As for adding 4 more panels, that seems like a no-brainer, it would only cost you about $3000 more. Why not, especially if you are planning to buy an electric car?

As for adding a second Powerwall, that will cost you an extra $8000 (less 30% incentive). Is it worth it for you? What does the well pump do? You won't have any running water without it? I think you can get by without the dryer for a long time. And you probably don't need AC in the winter, when power outages are more common in your area. As for the heater - is it electric? If so, it probably exceeds the capacity of 2 powerwalls, and you probably wont be able to run it anyway.

So without any powerwall you will have nothing. With one powerwall, you will have lights, refrigerators, microwave, and you can plug in smaller portable heaters. With two powerwalls you may also have your well pump and maybe AC in the summer.

It is for you to decide whether it is worth the extra expense.

I dont have the town water, my house uses the well pump to pump water into the house and without power I will not have running water(I will only have like 20gallon for water in case of outage)
coming to heat I have central air and a oil furnace so if the central air is out that means that I will not have heat in the winter during outage.

I dont have the town water, my house uses the well pump to pump water into the house and without power I will not have running water(I will only have like 20gallon for water in case of outage)
coming to heat I have central air and a oil furnace so if the central air is out that means that I will not have heat in the winter during outage.

Those are some major inconveniences. I would consider a second powerwall, if your budget allows it.