Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My take on mud flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, got them off Amazon from China. Here are how mine failed. Both the front left & right have the exact same type of damage.

Pros:
The one screw and two push-tabs held secure, they didn't break off nor did I lose them
It didn't tear the fabric lining of the wheel well at all
It didn't mar nor scratch my paint

Cons:
They broke

F9pGd9d.jpg

One broke when I went over an exceptionally large speed bump - even at very low speeds it hit and made a cracking plastic noise (not a great sound but better than the metal battery banging I guess). The other broke some other time, not really sure nor did I hear it. I'll be getting a new set for next summer ($19.99 only) as I love how they look and they worked really well overall.

In the mountains though during the winter I'm pretty sure they would be pulled off with the first couple feet on the road. Hope this helps!

They do have two types. A hard molded type(which you got) or a very flexible one that's more like rubber. Looks the same but different materials.

i think like ppl already pointed out here the hard ones are probably garbage (and hence i bought the rubber one).

There technically is drilling required for the front ones, though i didnt do it which means the top part does flap slightly but hasnt really made any difference to the look or function...

Perfect match.

@Garlan Garner Thank you for your advice! I just installed these flaps and you’re absolutely right - it looks great. No photos right now since it’s dark out, but tomorrow once I clean the car, I will.

Great call - it’s a nice touch, and hopefully will save the road bits from getting all over the rocker panels. I’ve already got streaks of tar caked on - guess what I’m scrubbing in the morning.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y55WTN9/

@Garlan Garner Thank you for your advice! I just installed these flaps and you’re absolutely right - it looks great. No photos right now since it’s dark out, but tomorrow once I clean the car, I will.

Great call - it’s a nice touch, and hopefully will save the road bits from getting all over the rocker panels. I’ve already got streaks of tar caked on - guess what I’m scrubbing in the morning.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y55WTN9/
What’s the link to the mud flaps in question ? Thanks

I ordered some supposedly rubberised mud flaps from Amazon UK and got sent the more ridgid plastic ones. I'm having difficulty with obtaining the more flexible ones so if anyone who has a working link to ones that are definitely rubberised version and ships to UK, it would be very much appreciated. The last few links have either been shipping Australia only, or a non working link.

Seller of the ones that I received offered me 30% refund and told me to keep them, but if they break as above, then I definitely want the rubberised version.

I installed the molded guards, I bought from kkmoon on amazon For $20, a couple weeks ago. Yesterday I found the front passenger side was broken after driving through some rain the day before. I’ve read they’re all possibly made from the same manufacturer. Ordered the $40 ones from basenor and will see today if they’re the same exact thing. If these brake too I’ll either just run without guards or wait for rally armor. I was only planning on running the guards for the winter...typically hate the look of them lol...but the molded ones aren’t too bad. Btw I installed the fronts with 3m double sided tape instead of drilling a hole...and they held on great.

3BBEA563-81C4-4CB0-A357-BDC8014A5C5F.jpeg
6ED14668-F81D-4514-A8C3-0CB74FBB2DED.jpeg

Last edited:

I live in NJ and there is salt and sand down all winter. I hope they offer it to other areas. Even if they do not offer this in other areas they should offer it as a kit for purchase. I would consider. I was considering some PPF in the "splash" zones but haven't decided. Guess I need to make that decision soon. Was told it is about $300-500 for just behind each wheel and under both doors on each side.

I live in NJ and there is salt and sand down all winter. I hope they offer it to other areas. Even if they do not offer this in other areas they should offer it as a kit for purchase. I would consider. I was considering some PPF in the "splash" zones but haven't decided. Guess I need to make that decision soon. Was told it is about $300-500 for just behind each wheel and under both doors on each side.
2018+ Tesla Model 3 - Servo PPF
$130 if you don't mind installing it yourself. If you go that route, I just get the PPF dripping wet when applying.

Got the basenor guards in today. They do look almost identical to the cheaper kkmoon ones...same markings. BUT there is a design change. The fronts also have a lip/hook that clips around the fender to hold it in place....just like the rear ones. Will see if these brake also lol.
6F927755-DAA7-4FEE-A291-985FF95756D9.jpeg