TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

My take on sunglass storage in the center console

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by pavankp, Jun 17, 2018.

1. CapnOMatic

CapnOMatic Member

Just out of curiosity what type of 3d printer do you have?

2. pavankp

pavankp Member

I got the Monoprice Maker Ultimate. I just received it and an setting it up.

3. hansac78

hansac78 New Member

This is really nice and I'm wanting to get it printed. How did your revision turn out?

4. pavankp

pavankp Member

The revised version is a better fit. I posted the revised file on thingiverse under the same listing.

• Like x 1
  5. dhu1

dhu1 Member

Very cool. Keep us posted on when you are ready to produce more!

6. octoad

octoad Member

I’m in the same boat as needing a Starbucks cup insert. But I do have a 3d printer. I’ll put something together in the next few days.

7. pavankp

pavankp Member

I haven't started on the cup holder insert yet. Still trying to figure out my new printer. That one's on the list for the next weekend. @octoad, if you design something sooner, please share it!

8. pavankp

pavankp Member

I am still working out how to produce it with the right quality and adhesion with my new printer and PETG filament. It printed well with the PLA filament that came with the printer, but that won't hold up well in the summer heat inside the car. I am learning by playing with settings, but each iteration takes more than 12 hours and I don't want to keep it running overnight. So this will take me several days I think before I get it all worked out. Then perhaps I can make these for other people.

9. octoad

octoad Member

Is there anybody in Orange County that would like to test a cup holder insert for a Starbucks cup?

• Like x 1
  10. pavankp

pavankp Member

I am in NorCal so can't really help with this. But if you want share an stl to print and test, I am up for that.

11. Fusion

Fusion Member

Great job!

12. thesteve

thesteve Member

Any updates on this? Cup holder worked?

13. pavankp

pavankp Member

I have finally figured out how to print decent quality with PETG on my 3D printer. It took many days, but I am glad I got it working. I have updated the Thingiverse listing with new pictures, and removed the old STL file that wasn't a great fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have uploaded a document that can help with covering the PETG print in felt paper, and added instructions for using it on the Thingiverse listing.

The printer is loud and we have a small house, so in the interest of domestic harmony, I won't be making these for others.

Now on to other 3D printed items I can make for this car!

• Like x 1
  14. Morgank6

Morgank6 Member

Do you know if its possible to print this in PETG with the UPS store printers?

15. pavankp

pavankp Member

Not sure about PETG, but they definitely print in ABS. ABS works just as well as PETG for this purpose.

16. dhu1

dhu1 Member

Any chance you are ready to produce to sell? Again, looking to purchase 2 of these...thanks.

17. BPub

BPub Member

@pavankp Hey really like your design. I'm planning on taking it to the UPS store and printing it with ABS, but I was reading the comments in the Thingiverse page, and there was a discussion on what the print settings should be (see 7/4/2018 discussion from pavankp - in reply to Phillip26). Is this print setting I need to let UPS know specifically or is the print setting already built into the CAD file already?

PS I would've posted my question on the Thingiverse website but they're not letting me create an account at the moment...

18. TD_alseT

TD_alseT Member

nice, thanks!

19. BPub

BPub Member

NVM. I found the answer to my question in the "readme" file. Thanks!

20. pavankp

pavankp Member

I uploaded a new version of this with walls that are 2mm thick. This version is more tolerant of printing issues like small layer shifts. There is now an OpenSCAD file on the Thingiverse listing that lets you customize the depth and other parameters if you want to.