Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My take on sunglass storage in the center console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was inspired by chojn1's excellent idea for a tray in the center console. I wanted to have a tissue box in the same area and have access to it, while being able to store my sunglasses, work ID, keys and pen there. Here is what I came up with.

Tii7Ur3.jpg

This is the top view...
3rIW5cH.jpg

I am having trouble with uploading pictures, so added imgur links.

I designed this using the free app SketchUp and got it printed at a UPS store.

Any chance you can create some of the other ideas ... need some cup holder inserts that fit startbucks (or tim hortons) cups snugly. Otherwise I will have to wait on the other thread, wish I had it now though he's taking a long time.
I am just getting into 3D printing. The tray was my very first design. I just ordered a 3D printer. I will design a cup holder insert over the weekend once I have my printer.

I am just getting into 3D printing. The tray was my very first design. I just ordered a 3D printer. I will design a cup holder insert over the weekend once I have my printer.

Awesome can't wait to see! Not sure if this'll help, but I saw this for a Subaru https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2810746 not sure if that gets you any sort of head start :) Also just saw this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2955958 which may give you the exact outer rim of the cupholder. If possible I think it'd be nice if it was one piece for the two holders (connected in the middle somehow)

Awesome can't wait to see! Not sure if this'll help, but I saw this for a Subaru 2016-??? Subaru Outback Cup Holder Insert by edsped not sure if that gets you any sort of head start :) Also just saw this Customizable Tesla Model 3 cup holder phone mount for iPhone X by patniemeyer which may give you the exact outer rim of the cupholder. If possible I think it'd be nice if it was one piece for the two holders (connected in the middle somehow)
Yes, these should help -- I will copy from these two and see what I can come up with.

My STL file is now published. Here it is: Tesla Model 3 sunglass tray in center console by pavankp

I am planning to revise the model and publish another version by the weekend -- slight adjustments coming up for a better fit. If you are going to spend money getting it printed, I would advise you to wait until the weekend.

Thanks! I like your design, as it doesn't obstruct the entire cubby underneath.

Awesome can't wait! I'm looking for printers in my local area, one guy said this is upholstered after printing, is that correct? Your version has material similar to the interior, how's it done or is it a certain type of material that makes it similar to factory?

Thanks
That is correct. I used this adhesive-backed satin lining paper. I manually applied it using a ruler and a pair of scissors. You don't have to do it with a lot of precision for it to look quite decent.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde