Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My take on sunglass storage in the center console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very cool. Keep us posted on when you are ready to produce more!
I am still working out how to produce it with the right quality and adhesion with my new printer and PETG filament. It printed well with the PLA filament that came with the printer, but that won't hold up well in the summer heat inside the car. I am learning by playing with settings, but each iteration takes more than 12 hours and I don't want to keep it running overnight. So this will take me several days I think before I get it all worked out. Then perhaps I can make these for other people.

I have finally figured out how to print decent quality with PETG on my 3D printer. It took many days, but I am glad I got it working. I have updated the Thingiverse listing with new pictures, and removed the old STL file that wasn't a great fit.

49bb2eb519da8c9db797771819dbad75_preview_featured.jpg

36b49edc3851f3b43e17043fe7dcdbf6_preview_featured.jpg

I have uploaded a document that can help with covering the PETG print in felt paper, and added instructions for using it on the Thingiverse listing.

The printer is loud and we have a small house, so in the interest of domestic harmony, I won't be making these for others.

Now on to other 3D printed items I can make for this car!

Reactions: Dana1
@pavankp Hey really like your design. I'm planning on taking it to the UPS store and printing it with ABS, but I was reading the comments in the Thingiverse page, and there was a discussion on what the print settings should be (see 7/4/2018 discussion from pavankp - in reply to Phillip26). Is this print setting I need to let UPS know specifically or is the print setting already built into the CAD file already?

PS I would've posted my question on the Thingiverse website but they're not letting me create an account at the moment...

@pavankp Hey really like your design. I'm planning on taking it to the UPS store and printing it with ABS, but I was reading the comments in the Thingiverse page, and there was a discussion on what the print settings should be (see 7/4/2018 discussion from pavankp - in reply to Phillip26). Is this print setting I need to let UPS know specifically or is the print setting already built into the CAD file already?

PS I would've posted my question on the Thingiverse website but they're not letting me create an account at the moment...

NVM. I found the answer to my question in the "readme" file. Thanks!

I uploaded a new version of this with walls that are 2mm thick. This version is more tolerant of printing issues like small layer shifts. There is now an OpenSCAD file on the Thingiverse listing that lets you customize the depth and other parameters if you want to.