TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My temp NEMA 6-50 install

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by cinergi, Nov 26, 2012.

1. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

2. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

3. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Forgot to mention - $1200. ~17 person-hours (there were two people at times) plus materials. Getting the conduit up there, bent in the right directions, etc. was by far the most time-consuming part.

4. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

#4 Babylonfive, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
    That is one snazzy garage, even without the additional wiring. WOW.

edit: snazzy as in a luxury of size

5. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I wish it were just mine. There's 13 spots in there. Two of them are mine. (6-unit condo)

6. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Couple of questions for you, just because I'm curious...

1. Why the junction boxes, and why so huge? Seems like you could have used an LB above the panel at the ceiling and avoided the second box altogether, along with the splices. Is there a local compliance reason, or were your cables short?
    2. Any reason you used an LB out the side of the panel? You could just bend the conduit into an arc that meets the panel on the left and connects to a JB near the ceiling.

7. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

1) For the one in the electrical room -- it was to make it so I could swap my feed when the HPWC arrives. I'm temporarily on the house panel now. For the other one -- it was primarily because the cable was short (they re-used some leftover stock) and secondarily to aid in supporting a 4" drop from the ceiling to get around some natural gas lines
    2) LB ... trying to figure out what that stands for. Anyway, I was wondering after-the-fact why they didn't bend conduit from the panel as it would have been WAY easier to get the #2 through there :)

Edit: Size of JBs were probably just what they had lying around. With the low-pliability of #2 and #3 I'm glad they're that big.

8. xhawk101

xhawk101 Active Member

Please confirm that the 6 - 50 adapter is available

from my Samsung galaxy s3

9. FlasherZ

Yes, if you ordered the HPWC you should have been offered one for the temp install they recommend in the meantime.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

LB is what they call those L-shaped, accessible boxes like you used coming out of the panel. L, because that's the shape of it. B stands for "back", which is where the conduit exit point is. There are LL's and LR's too. If you hold the box upright so the cover faces you and the first conduit exit faces down, the next letter refers to the exit, whether the back side, left side, or right side.

10. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Yes I'm plugged in with a 6-50. Could have wired a 14-50 but at ~$1/ft for #3, I saved some money (all of $45 compared to $1200 so not a big deal). I'm not sure if they could have fit 4 #3's in the 1.5" EMT (conduit) however (in order to install a 14-50 for now ... and then the neutral wire would go unused once the HPWC is installed).

11. FlasherZ

You did the right thing, since you're going with HPWC and you have no future intentions to use that branch circuit for anything else.

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Ben,

Just wanted to say "thanks" for all of the helpful information you keep on posting! I've learned so much from your videos and explanations of things. I feel like I'll know my Model S inside and out by the time I (hopefully) get it next Spring.

Mike

13. dailydriver

dailydriver Member

Here are some pics of my temporary NEMA 6-50 receptacle installation. We ran three #3 AWG conductors to support the 100 amp circuit when I get the HPWC. We also extended the conduit higher and mounted a small junction box to accommodate some additional slack.

DSC03814.jpg

DSC03811.jpg

14. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Isn't that on the wrong side of the car? :)

15. dailydriver

dailydriver Member

Great observation Robert - I have garage limitations. :smile:

16. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

If I had known you where having this done, I could have saved you some money with the electrician I use (which is mostly me, but I do have someone a well for permits and specialty tools/difficult jobs), unless you had to use union electricians or "house" electricians. Btw, #3 copper is good enough for the 80A continuous (100A) HPWC, "Stayonline" has it for .75 per foot, and only the the 2 hots need to be #3, the ground can be #6

Stayonline THHN: 600 Volt THHN

17. dailydriver

dailydriver Member

Good catch - I actually lied about that one. The ground is only a #6.:redface:

18. FlasherZ

Wow, your electrician torqued the hell out of that stainless cover! I'm a bit OCD, so that bothers me they warped it like that :)

19. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

So do I!

I just realized last night ... that the S is 2" longer than my garage with cabinets similar to the ones in your photo ... so ... "sorry, cabinets, you lose".

Glad rubbish pick up is Tuesday here!

Delivery Wednesday ... ok, wishful thinking.

20. dailydriver

dailydriver Member

#20 dailydriver, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
    Yikes - it would take another OCD guy like myself to notice something like that. You'll also notice that the bottom screw is not quite exactly vertical to match the top screw.:wink: The good news is that it is temporary and it will certainly not come loose. :smile: