Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla app must be open for phone key to work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model 3 since August and it will not use the Phone Key to unlock the car unless the Phone App is Open, not just in the background. It does not work if the app is running in the background. Therefore Leaving the phone in my pocket and using it to unlock doesn't work, I have to pull out the phone and select the app, select the Model 3 (I also have an S) then wait several seconds. Note this only happens when the car has gone to deep sleep mode in my garage, when I've just driven it, like to the grocery store, it works when I return to the car. iPhone 7+, latest IOS.
What am I missing to make it work without forcing the app to the foreground?

If you have multiple Tesla's in the app then the Model 3 must be selected. Other than that it should work without having the app open. I rarely use the app and I've never had any problems opening the doors with the phone in my pocket.

Try moving the phone from your back pocket to a front pocket. Mine does not open "reliably" with the phone in my back pocket. If I turn my hips so that I am facing sideways, or put my #@$ facing the door, it will open every time with my phone in my back pocket.

Opens every time with phone in my hand or in front pocket.

Just wondering if its not "the app must be open" and its more phone in back pocket, taking it out of back pocket to open tesla app (thus getting phone closer to car) and then it working.

try holding the phone in your hand without waking it up to open app, etc.

Reactions: mswlogo and Alketi
If none of the suggested adjustment work or changes to phone settings mentioned elsewhere, then you’ll need to try another phone to determine if the problem is the car or the phone. If the same result occurs with the other phone then have Tesla check the car. It should work, although many people don’t get 100%, so some opt for the fob.

On Android, I thought that this was the case, but over time, I started to realize that it just sometimes takes time for the car to see the phone. I keep mine in my back pocket and there's enough mass to keep the car from seeing the phone.
Whereas I thought that opening the app solved the problem, the reality was as I got it out of my back pocket, closer to the car and then enough time for the handshake was all it really needed.

So next time, do the same thing that you are doing now, but only swipe in your head. See if it is just timing.

I've had inconsistent results with mine. I'd say 75% of the time I don't have to take out my iPhone XS to unlock the car, but sometimes it fails to do so. In those cases, I have only unlocked my phone to unlock it (no app activation), but I wonder if its just a case of me not waiting long enough.

In any case, I think I'm resigned to the fact that this unlocking technology will never be perfect. They've had too long to "fix" it.

I've experienced if you have not unlocked your phone in a while you need to just unlock the phone for the car to unlock (not open the app). Unsure of the timeout.

This. The Bluetooth on the iPhone sleeps for longer periods if you haven't used the phone in a while, increasing the likelihood that it'll be sleeping when the car queries it to authenticate you.

My iPhone works faster as a key if I open the phone case. I have a wallet case that seems to block Bluetooth signal. If I open the case my Model 3 wakes up faster. So in this case, it’s my iPhone accessory that blocks the connection. I don’t need to run the Tesla app.

I have the same problem. However, I have found that if I leave it on the 3 in the app it works much more consistently. If I leave it on my Model S it never works without opening the app and swiping over to the Model 3.
This is by design. Not sure if it’s a limitation of the Bluetooth stack or just making sure only the targeted car is unlocked. But it is standard behavior.

I've had my Model 3 since August and it will not use the Phone Key to unlock the car unless the Phone App is Open, not just in the background. It does not work if the app is running in the background. Therefore Leaving the phone in my pocket and using it to unlock doesn't work, I have to pull out the phone and select the app, select the Model 3 (I also have an S) then wait several seconds. Note this only happens when the car has gone to deep sleep mode in my garage, when I've just driven it, like to the grocery store, it works when I return to the car. iPhone 7+, latest IOS.
What am I missing to make it work without forcing the app to the foreground?
I have an iPhone Xs (before a 7S) and I don't have any issues. I don't take the phone out of my pocket or open the app.

Try this:

Settings App > Scroll down to "Tesla" app > Location > Always

If you have it set to While Using the App, it will require you to be using it.