Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla app must be open for phone key to work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model 3 since August and it will not use the Phone Key to unlock the car unless the Phone App is Open, not just in the background. It does not work if the app is running in the background. Therefore Leaving the phone in my pocket and using it to unlock doesn't work, I have to pull out the phone and select the app, select the Model 3 (I also have an S) then wait several seconds. Note this only happens when the car has gone to deep sleep mode in my garage, when I've just driven it, like to the grocery store, it works when I return to the car. iPhone 7+, latest IOS.
What am I missing to make it work without forcing the app to the foreground?
Wow, sorry. I had a 6S and now a Xr with no issues. You’ve probably already tried these: unpair phone from car. Delete Tesla app from phone. Reinstall app and phone to car. On Tesla app let it always know location, Background App Refresh and Cellular Data on. Hope you find a solution!

Make sure you don’t restart your phone before trying (restart also happens if the phone is completely switched off and on again manually or the battery is empty and you plug the phone in to recharge - just that we all talk about the same here...).

Bluetooth apps like the Tesla app seem to be unavailable after the phone has restarted until you first start them manually. (At least for the iPhone - I use an iPhone 7; dunno about Android).

I was unaware of this for quite a while and blamed the manufacturer of my ilockit bike lock (with automatic unlock once you get close to you bike, just like the Model 3 does) because it only worked intermittently. We had several conversations, but I was never told to manually restart the app after the phone had restarted. I had assumed that with a automatic lock function the app would resume its function automatically after a phone restart as a matter of course. But this is not the case.

I assume the ilockit lock/app uses the same Bluetooth mechanisms as Tesla. So I would assume that many people complaining about unreliable Tesla car unlock in fact switch off their phone at night or run their battery flat every evening or whatever.

I will be able to test on my own as of February when I get my Model 3 here in Switzerland and I will report back.

Last edited:
I’m checking out this thread bc the other day in the rain- I couldn’t get my phone to work at all. Had to use the card. (Which luckily i had in my wallet.) The next day and ever since, it’s worked just fine

Anyone else?

The experience made me contemplate the model 3 FOB- who else has that and do you recommend it?

My phone:
Samsung s9 (Android OS version 9)

My symptoms:
1. Car doesn't recognize when my phone is near by after I have stayed away for a while
2. My car doesn't actually lock itself after I walk away.
3. After driving for a while, if I got out to open or close gate, often, the car wouldn't recognize the phone near by.
4. Starting the app caused the car to recognize it immediately for only a short time.
5. Background apps, like my streaming apps were also being killed after a few minutes in the background.

These are all symptoms of app being put to sleep but I had set it to not sleep.

My resolution:
There's another setting in my Samsung s9 (Android OS version 9) that was killing apps!
Go to-> Settings/device care/ battery / Settings (@Top right, three dots) / Auto disable unused apps!
I turned this off and my phone now works as it used to!

It's probably not it, but check that background execution is allowed for Tesla app. It's allowed by default, but I know some people like to turn it off for all apps. Also, location permission should be set to Always.

Even then, I have this issue sometimes with my iPhone X. The solution is just wake up the phone (no need to start the app).

iPhone Xs just started doing this. Not always. Have to open app to get door to unlock. Once the app is open. It happens. No need to hit the unlock button.

why is this suddenly happening? No issues ever before.
If you just updated to iOS 13 there’s a new security feature where you have to give the Tesla app permission to connect to Bluetooth devices. You also should make sure you have it set to be able to always use your location (this setting was there in previous versions of iOS but after upgrading you’ll often be prompted to verify it). Some people have also reported that logging out and logging back in to their Tesla account in the app has resolved their issues after upgrading.

I have an iPhone X and have never had any problems with using the phone key.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
If you just updated to iOS 13 there’s a new security feature where you have to give the Tesla app permission to connect to Bluetooth devices. You also should make sure you have it set to be able to always use your location (this setting was there in previous versions of iOS but after upgrading you’ll often be prompted to verify it). Some people have also reported that logging out and logging back in to their Tesla account in the app has resolved their issues after upgrading.

I have an iPhone X and have never had any problems with using the phone key.
Thx!

My girlfriend was experiencing something similar to this with her iPhone 8 where she was not able to open the car door when walking up to it after being at work all day. We figured out that it was because she is super diligent about force closing apps on her phone as soon as she is done using them. If your Bluetooth is turned on and you leave the Tesla app running in the background without force closing it, the phone key should always work.

My girlfriend was experiencing something similar to this with her iPhone 8 where she was not able to open the car door when walking up to it after being at work all day. We figured out that it was because she is super diligent about force closing apps on her phone as soon as she is done using them. If your Bluetooth is turned on and you leave the Tesla app running in the background without force closing it, the phone key should always work.
So super diligent about wasting her battery?

Tesla says that location services are used to “optimize phone key functionality.” I’ve never seen any in depth testing to verify whether or not it has a noticeable effect.
Perhaps it’s used to mark your location on your iPhone map when you leave the car? In terms of unlocking and driving the car though, I’ve never had it enabled and the phone key has worked flawlessly.

I started having this problem in the past few weeks. Never had it since I got the car in September 2018. (Didn't change my phone)

It's annoying especially as it's winter.

I turned off the battery optimization for Tesla app on my pixel 2 just now, will update here if that helps.