TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

My Tesla burns in house fire. Sad.

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bcsteeve, Jul 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bcsteeve

bcsteeve Member

I am sad to report that the Tesla family has lost a member. At least I think so.

I've been traveling since the start of the month, having visited Paris and London and currently in the Scottish Highlands. A couple of days ago, we had just finished visiting Edinburgh Castle and were having a bite to eat when i checked my local news site and saw a story about a fire on a nearby street to my home's. An hour later we were attempting to find a suitable bus back to our hotel when i started to get messages from neighbors. It wasn't long before i learned that the news initially misreported the street name and it was my home that had caught fire! The news took note of the fact a Tesla was in the garage. One report initially suggested it was the cause. And it may have been. I have very little information at this point.

The only thing I know is what the attending police officer relayed to me. That included my Tesla being "totaled" (though that is ultimately up to the instance company, so I remain very slightly hopeful that it isn't that bad).

Yesterday, interestingly enough, I was able to connect with it on the app. It showed the charge level, the rear hatch open, the door unlocked and the location incorrectly as my home (it was towed hours earlier to a local facility). I was unable to lock it or close the hatch out turn on the climate control, but I was able to send a horn honk and a light flash (whether it did these thinks, I have no idea). Just now, however, I tried and was unable to connect at all.

It'll be some ten more days until I'm back in Canada and about five, I'm told, before I hear from insurance about the car's fate... so I wait.

I really love that car. I'm not sure how well the insurance will come out and if I'll be a Tesla owner again if Chappie really is gone :( I do still have two Model 3 reservations on the books, but I really grew attached to my S. I only just got it last September!

• Informative x 6
  2. Lucky_Man

Lucky_Man Member

So sorry about 'Chappie'. The only positive thing I can say, maybe your 'friend' can be a parts donor.

3. Off Shore

Off Shore Supporting Member

Sad news! Hope you're back on the road soon.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yikes! That's awful and must be very stressful being out of the country and all. My condolences.

5. kdday

kdday Member

My condolences. Please let us know when you determine the cause of the fire.

• Like x 2
  6. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S / Model X Forums

Very sorry to hear this! Please keep us posted how things work out.

Bruce.

• Helpful x 1
  7. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Condolences. Hopefully neither the home nor the car are total losses.

8. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Thank goodness nobody was in the house. hope your recovery process is as painless as possible.

9. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

Wasn’t this news article posted here or on reddit. My search is failing at the moment.

10. whitex

whitex Active Member

Link to the news coverage? Curious how it got reported by Canadian media.

11. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

Well he does live in Canada.

12. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

• Informative x 2
  13. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

#13 Canuck, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Fortunately, we're still fact based here (for the most part) so the cause will have to await the outcome of the fire investigation and it's still too early to tell. There was a note made of the Tesla in the media, which is informative to readers and seems appropriate to be in the article to me -- without placing blame at this point.

• Like x 3
  14. whitex

whitex Active Member

At least they are not blaming it on Auto-Pilot. ;)

On a serious note, I am curious what caused it. Parked Tesla should not have been charging for long stretches of time after the initial charge which I assume was days before the fire.

• Funny x 2
  15. dethman

dethman Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. Hope your home is relatively undamaged.

16. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

Just as a note to OP, you may have been seeing the last reported status on the app, rather than a live status. With my car I often see everything as it was the last time the app connected to the car and I have to swipe to force a refresh to see what the current status is.

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  17. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

Tesla released a statement, apparently the logs show that the owner didn't have his hands on the wheel the entire day leading up to the fire. Operator error. :(

fire probably had nothing to do with the car

• Funny x 19
    • Disagree x 1
  18. Evoforce

Evoforce Member

Sorry to hear of your bad fortune with this! I wish you a good recovery in the face of this adversity.

19. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Damn, very disheartening. I had a similar event when I was out of town. A devastating flood ravaged our neighbourhood and we watched in earnest the video feeds from the news choppers to see if the overland flooding had affected our home. It was an agonizing 8 or 9 days before we got home and another 3 or 4 before we could access the neighbourhood. We discovered it hadn’t been that bad. I hope your good fortune is as well.

20. bcsteeve

bcsteeve Member

Thanks all. The worst part is just not knowing. I partly want to end my vacation and come home, but everyone (police, neighbors, insurance) is telling me there's really no point and that I should just enjoy the rest of our trip, so that's what I'm doing.

Adding to my stress, however, is that i start a new job just 5 days after i get back and I'm again out of town for several weeks for training.