Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla burns in house fire. Sad.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would think regardless of the model / trim disagreement, the market value would still be the market value. Wouldn't they just look at what other equivalent P85D's are available for you to buy of similar options, year, mileage, and give you a payout value ?
No, not in this case. Market value has nothing to do with it. I realize from past discussions that our insurance is weird, so we can just leave it at that.

The VIN should tell the insurance company exactly what model the car is. My insurance here in the US only says "S" as well. But via the VIN they can get the model and value.
the issue isn't in identifying the car's options. It is the definition of "model". It is unusual and complicated. We don't need to get into the details. I've got the answer I need. Model is "S", not "P85D", by their own forms. Good enough to make my case, I'm sure.

Thanks again everyone!

Reactions: SSonnentag
I'm told, is impossible to determine with any true accuracy, but their best guess is that it started at the UPS (battery backup for the server and various network devices).

Ouch. I didn’t realize that was a possibility, but thinking back I had one that the batteries swelled up so bad they couldn’t be removed. And it was super hot. I didn’t think about fire risk at the time.

@bcsteeve , I am so sorry you are going through this. I truly hope you lost nothing irreplaceable. I hope the process of recovering from this goes as smooth as possible.

Side note: this is exactly why I purchased internet connected cameras with the ability to identify CO2 / Smoke / Fire detector alarms. If an alarm is detected, it sends an alert to me, and I can remote view to assess the situation. If suddenly I can't view, I suspect something is a miss, and have a friend go check on things.

They were only $20 a piece. I have 9 of them throughout the house. They're made by Wyze Labs.

the issue isn't in identifying the car's options. It is the definition of "model". It is unusual and complicated. We don't need to get into the details. I've got the answer I need. Model is "S", not "P85D", by their own forms. Good enough to make my case, I'm sure.

Thanks again everyone!
Out of curiosity, are all Canadian insurance this weird, or do you have some special version where it somehow matters whether a particular car from 3 years ago is still in production? Here in the US they simply find comparables - same year, same model, similar options. then make minor adjustments for exact options and arrive at a value. So, even if you have a Model T, they look at comparable Model T's from early 1900's rather than "is there a Ford Model T in production today".

PS> Your VIN will likely identify your car as Model S Performance. Battery size could be treated as an option as it technically is upgradable by Tesla (costs an ARM and a leg, but can be done), vs. non-performance to performance is not upgradable by Tesla. Today's equivalent of Model S Performance is a P100D, if it they insist on valuing your car based on its new car equivalent instead of used var values.

We'll be out of our home for a year or more, I'm told. The car... well that depends on what we get, I suppose. If I go for a custom built A then I'm looking at end of September. A 3 is end of October. So do I rent a car until then? Maybe. Otherwise I have to buy something else or find another used S.

I was joking about the Bolt earlier... but I did take a Chrysler Pacifica plug in hybrid for a test drive and was quite impressed.

At this point, I'm not sure what I'll do.

We'll be out of our home for a year or more, I'm told. The car... well that depends on what we get, I suppose. If I go for a custom built A then I'm looking at end of September. A 3 is end of October. So do I rent a car until then? Maybe. Otherwise I have to buy something else or find another used S.

I was joking about the Bolt earlier... but I did take a Chrysler Pacifica plug in hybrid for a test drive and was quite impressed.

At this point, I'm not sure what I'll do.
Interesting about the Pacifica... Hows the acceleration on it with the Electric drive? I assume its different by a considerable amount!

I'm trying to deal with it all. I find myself cracking jokes at inappropriate times. The adjustor was setting up some halogen lights so we could see, and I was like, "isn't that a fire hazard?". But yeah, it is stressful.

About that Pacifica. It certainly wasn't the acceleration I was impressed with. It did fine for what it is. But the appointments and user interface was mostly on par or better than my S. The visibility was phenomenal. The storage was great, obviously. I've got a kid, and I'm sure it is a better fit than the S in many ways.

On the other hand, it is a Chrysler. And it is a minivan.

Reactions: JohnnyG and KyleDay