Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla burns in house fire. Sad.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the other hand, it is a Chrysler. And it is a minivan.

FWIW, after some horrendous Toyotas and Hondas, I started buying Chryslers in the 1980's and '90s. They were some of the best cars I've ever owned, and my enthusiasm for them actually saw friends and family consider Chryslers. My mother drove her 1987 Chrysler LeBaron right up until 2 years ago, and sold it to a collector. Except for batteries, brakes and exhaust systems, the car was fantastic for almost 30 years. I gave up on Chrysler after the disastrous DaimlerChrysler merger. I do have a friend with a Pacifica Plug-in and he absolutely loves it.

Last edited by a moderator:
What was the brand and model of the UPS for your server equipment? My Server+UPS are in a finished room ABOVE my garage (has AC, but not set to same as house temp), and now I'm wondering if they should be relocated, just to be overly safe. My UPS is only a year old, but that room does get up to 90+ and some temp sensors I have register right at 98-100F sometimes.

Just saw thread and glad you came out okay on the insurance for the car. Sure that's the least of your worries now though but one down. Losing your house and everything in it, I can see why you're stressed out and get the comments as a pressure relief. Tough finding yourself essentially homeless overnight but you've had lots of company in that respect. Assume you'll rebuild in same spot. Try to look at it as a chance to change things in your home you might have liked to before now. Attitude towards this will make all the difference, for you, for your wife, kids. Don't laugh but maybe meditation or occasional massages would help destress during this journey you're all on for the next year or so. Find something positive about the "new" home to focus on and make something a project that you can see progress on instead of just the calendar days passing.

BTW we had a friend's mother in Chicago go on vacation over the winter and a pipe in her house burst upstairs. Her two story home and basement total loss.

BTW I wonder if the police/fire department or even the newspaper might have more photos of the garage/cars if you're still wishing you could see some. Sucks to think that if that basement overlap wasn't there (probably pretty typical though) the garage might not have been involved. Keep us apprised on what you'll do with your car situation now that insurance has come through. Looked like you had 2 cars in the garage from the global news story.

I suppose an update is in order. But I've got to get to bed, so I'm keeping this bullet form:
  • House repairs are moving forward, slow but steady. I'm finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel. The smoke sealing is done, so it no longer smells like there was a fire. Framing is complete and the sub floors are back in. So basically it is ready to start getting plumbing, electrical, etc put back in. 9 months to get to this point!
  • The car insurance did what it needed to do, but with all the things that have happened, I couldn't afford to replace the Model S. I joked earlier about getting a Bolt, but that's exactly what I ended up getting lol. I actually like it. I recently also got a Model 3 so now we're fully electric.
  • My new job - ironically in insurance - turned out pretty good. That was probably the most stressful thing to deal with, looking back. I mean... I had no clothes! It seems silly, but that was really difficult to deal with for some reason. Having no clothes and no time to shop and having to show up every day. 9 months later, I have a reasonable wardrobe at least lol. My employer is really supportive, at least, allowing me to take time off to meet with the contractors and trades in moving the house forward.
  • Regarding our stuff: it was all gone. 100% loss. A few things were cleaned as best as possible and kept because of the sentimental value, but it has to stay sealed in plastic because even after thorough cleaning and ozone treatments it still smells awful.
There are some silver linings (eg. nothing declutters like a house fire!) but overall, I don't recommend anyone go through something like this if they can help it! I'm sure that sounds obvious, but wow... it has been rough. So please be safe out there. You can't prevent everything, but do the best you can.

Cheers.

- Steven

I suppose an update is in order. But I've got to get to bed, so I'm keeping this bullet form:
  • House repairs are moving forward, slow but steady. I'm finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel. The smoke sealing is done, so it no longer smells like there was a fire. Framing is complete and the sub floors are back in. So basically it is ready to start getting plumbing, electrical, etc put back in. 9 months to get to this point!
  • The car insurance did what it needed to do, but with all the things that have happened, I couldn't afford to replace the Model S. I joked earlier about getting a Bolt, but that's exactly what I ended up getting lol. I actually like it. I recently also got a Model 3 so now we're fully electric.
  • My new job - ironically in insurance - turned out pretty good. That was probably the most stressful thing to deal with, looking back. I mean... I had no clothes! It seems silly, but that was really difficult to deal with for some reason. Having no clothes and no time to shop and having to show up every day. 9 months later, I have a reasonable wardrobe at least lol. My employer is really supportive, at least, allowing me to take time off to meet with the contractors and trades in moving the house forward.
  • Regarding our stuff: it was all gone. 100% loss. A few things were cleaned as best as possible and kept because of the sentimental value, but it has to stay sealed in plastic because even after thorough cleaning and ozone treatments it still smells awful.
There are some silver linings (eg. nothing declutters like a house fire!) but overall, I don't recommend anyone go through something like this if they can help it! I'm sure that sounds obvious, but wow... it has been rough. So please be safe out there. You can't prevent everything, but do the best you can.

Cheers.

- Steven

Best of luck to you sir. Such an awful experience.

Jeff

Reactions: bcsteeve

Attachments

• Close-up.jpg
    Close-up.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 813
I am compelled to salute your attitude throughout this saga.

"just enjoy the rest of your vacation." - Right.
"viewing the castles with a constant pit in my stomach." What a load to bear.

Glad your life is coming back together. The worst thing you ever had happen to you deepens your perspective. Anything else from here on is small stuff comparatively. You are stronger now, you certainly earned it!

• Love
Reactions: bcsteeve

Cheers.

- Steven
So sorry to hear about this. We had a house fire about 2.5 years ago. It’s devestating. House repairs are hard because it’s your home but contractors know you’re locked in to them and they’ll get their money whether they finish a particular phase in 1 month or 6. So they’ll prioritize any other job because they know they can fit your remediation job in when they might otherwise be slow.

In our case the insurance adjuster said repairs would be over the policy limit so we just took the buyout and moved to another home. Insurance covers the structure/house, not the dirt so even after getting insurance payout for the house we still sold the lot with the fire-damaged house for a small amount. A contractor bought it for a steal, then on his time and dime fixed it up ASAP, like in 4 months and flipped it for almost regular market value.

In our house fire it took over a year before we were into a replacement permanent home and were able to repurchase things we had lost. There was no point or space to purchase tools and yard equipment while staying in a hotel or temporary accommodations. Only once we were into new permanent housing could we really repurchase everything lost then submit for reimbursement from insurance.

I now highly recommend to anyone to have FULL size fire extinguishers. We only had the narrow/little ones and when it runs out before the fire is out you know that your are up a creek without a paddle. It’s a terrible feeling looking at the fire and knowing you’re powerless to stop it. Get full size extinguishers, permanently mount then in prominent places. When you’re awakened at 1am and find a fire you’ll be disoriented. Having to search for an extinguisher wastes time. Have them mounted so you know exactly where they are.

In our case the fire started at a deep freezer we had in the garage. In the US smoke alarms aren’t usually installed in garages because ICE vehicle exhaust might cause false alarms. That’s my #2 recommendation of lessons learned, put smoke alarms in your garage! We got Nest Protect alarms now because even at $100 each it’s cheap compared to the cost, time, and heartache of recovering from a fire. If our garage had a smoke detector I believe we could have found the fire fast and early while we could have put it out ourselves. With no detector on the garage it had time to grow before smoke got into the hallway to the first smoke alarm.

We also had a newer 2010 home and all the smoke alarms were cross-linked so when one went off they all went off. At 1am waking up to that is terrible and disorienting. The Nest Protect alarms (if configured) can tell you WHERE the alarm was triggered, such as “Emergency: Smoke detected in the Garage” (or basement, etc). This would have helped us save 10-20 disoriented seconds trying to figure out why and where the smoke alarm was indicating a problem.

Interesting, the insurance adjusters said that since the reduction of people smoking in bed, bedroom fires are less common and most fires now start in either the kitchen or garage.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for everyone's support. Really, it means a lot.

Today I had to take 4 hours off work to meet with the cabinet guy on site to watch him draw on the floor with a marker lol. He's doing a great job, and I know he just wants to make sure we're happy.

Things are starting to move really quickly, after such a long time of moving REALLY slowly. I'm starting to think this is more stressful now than when it happened! Ok, probably not.

The insurance company has been OK to deal with. I'm glad I'm very detail-oriented, because I've got so many mistakes and I think I've "earned" us several tens of thousands of dollars. I went over the contents list line by line and found over 500 missing things. And these were just things that I could prove! That was one advantage we had: I use the phrase "burned down", but really that's not the case. The exterior framing survived and the roof was fine, and the majority of the damage was smoke rather than fire (except in the one room). It was a 100% interior loss, but it meant that stuff was there to be seen and cataloged. Put simply, it made it easy to dispute missing items because they were still there. Even with that... over 500 items were missed! You can imagine that adds up. Some things were silly. For example, they included my guitar case... but not the guitar that was inside (and yes, even stuff inside other stuff got destroyed).

But the insurance co has been a dream to deal with compared to our contractor! I want to fire him so bad. The actual boots-on-the-ground guys are fine. And the site foreman that's *really* in charge is fantastic. But the guy I have to deal with for decisions and pricing... what a tool. That's been uber-frustrating. He simply refuses to give me a straight answer on anything.

Everyone keeps reminding me that at the end of all this, I'll have a brand new house. Lol... yeah, but it could be a dimly lit house with toilets that explode.

Ah well... I'll keep on plugging away.

I didn't see it recommended in the thread, but a good plan is to take your phone and video inventory everything. Open drawers, boxes, closets - everything. Back that up to the cloud.
Had my garage robbed, and compiled a list as best I could discern what was taken. For a couple of years I would find myself looking all over hell for something and then it would dawn on me... oh, yeah.:(

I didn't see it recommended in the thread, but a good plan is to take your phone and video inventory everything. Open drawers, boxes, closets - everything. Back that up to the cloud.
Had my garage robbed, and compiled a list as best I could discern what was taken. For a couple of years I would find myself looking all over hell for something and then it would dawn on me... oh, yeah.:(

I should have brought that up!

100,000,000% agree. Several years ago I renewed my insurance and I asked the agent some question... I don't remember the question, but whatever it was ended up with her mentioning an app called Encircle. It is a home inventory software. I spent a weekend photographing EVERYTHING. It actually didn't take as long as I thought. I remember I started in the garage and at first I was typing out "name, description, value, where purchased, etc" but that was taking way too long. Just the garage took probably 4 hours. After that, I decided to continue but just photograph everything. By the end, I was just taking brought photographs of various angles and it probably took me 8 hours total. My wife was shaking her head as I was pulling socks out, laying them on the bed and photographing it.

Being able to review those photos room-by-room was immensely helpful. It was 4 years out of date (I had the best of intentions on keeping it up to date as we bought new stuff, but...) but I'm very VERY glad I put in that effort!

I also used an app ad scanned the bar codes of every book we had. The insurance lady was carefully cataloging each book and I said, "you know, I think I can just export a list". The app (which I is called simply Book Catalogue on Android Play Store) automatically grabbed retail pricing for each book and even tallied the total. It came to over $8000, which I laughed at because there's NO WAY we paid even close to that. But because it made her job so simple, she just accepted that as-is and they paid it! I'm sure that didn't even take me an hour to scan everything.

Even with all that, we still think of the odd thing that was missed. We've been paid out on contents, so it doesn't matter at this point but its funny what everyone missed and isn't even thought of for months (or as you say, years).

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: erik_k and Tron 3