Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Direct Drop Off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@jwuwu How are you enjoying the car after a week of ownership? I'm curious to know what your average consumption has been so far! In case you're wondering, I've decided to keep the PUP despite the setbacks (e.g. loss of range, higher maintenance costs, firmer ride). Seeing your pics just puts a smile on my face every time haha.

@jwuwu How are you enjoying the car after a week of ownership? I'm curious to know what your average consumption has been so far! In case you're wondering, I've decided to keep the PUP despite the setbacks (e.g. loss of range, higher maintenance costs, firmer ride). Seeing your pics just puts a smile on my face every time haha.
well I know this wasn't directed at me, however we have a performance Model Y with PUP and we get pretty good consumption at speeds or 55-70 actually. around 250-280wh/m depending on driving we did average about 52-53mph however the speed limit on this trip drops drastically in Delaware so this gives you an idea of how good it came be.... on the highway at 65-70 I would be around 270ish wh/m
IMG_2983.jpg

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Bixby MS and jwuwu

How expensive is the maintenance compared to LR AWD?

How expensive is the maintenance compared to LR AWD?
I would assume its really no different other than tires. which I'm sure you can really find something cheaper than what Tesla gives you from the factory. however that is my guess. as we had a LRAWD Model 3 and P model 3 and the the "maintenance wasn't any different for us. the model y performance has staggered wheels so you can't rotate them where as the LRAWD is squared so you can rotate them when needed. that's all I could think of really

I'm guessing the cost of replacing the tires. These summer tires wear much quicker, and cost a lot more to replace than all season ones (which you can't get for the 21" wheel size).

ummm they do make all season tires.... you just have to do some digging... that's all
https://tinyurl.com/u727bt8

https://tinyurl.com/sbcr6qg

it make cost some but any tire at this size is going to cost... hell 20's cost just as much but the way to solve that is to get smaller wheels If you want.... but you can get all season for sure

@Tech Dane I love it! I have driven about 80 miles since I got the car. My Y has been in the service center since last Friday to get some paint chips/seat stain fixed and removed. I also got full frontal PPF and ceramic coating done for the car (coating done just for the front so far, the rest after the paint issues are fixed). I recently signed up for the TeslaFi trial last week and got the data for my last 3 trips I took, so far my overall is 266 wh/mile at 86.23% efficiency. I drove it like I stole it, averaging around 75 - 85+ on the freeway. Here is a screenshot from TeslaFi-

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 2.56.49 PM.png

I've been trying to find excuses to get out of the house so I drove to either Walnut Creek or Concord superchargers at like 6am in the morning, charged the car, ate breakfast in the car, and watched some Netflix lol.

Can't wait to get the car back and drive some more.

The drive isn't as bumpy or noisy as I thought it was going to be on the uberturbine wheels but I also came from a lowered modded and fairly loud sports car so I have little or no insights on how a luxury vehicle should feel like. It feels great to me, very luxurious and quiet. It's really nimble for such a heavy car.

I am going to keep the wheels for awhile too until November when black friday deals come out and I'll look into getting new wheels and tires then. Going to be interesting to see how long the current summer tires are going to last for everyone who has PUP.

How's your experience so far?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Bixby MS
ummm they do make all season tires.... you just have to do some digging... that's all

it make cost some but any tire at this size is going to cost... hell 20's cost just as much but the way to solve that is to get smaller wheels If you want.... but you can get all season for sure

Oh yeah, at those prices...I will look to go down to 20".

Yes, I was talking about the 21" wheels/tires. The only available combination (on Tirerack) of front and rears is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

The first link is for the 255/35R20 (should be R21) tire size, the second link is for the 21" rear tire size.

BTW: there's some weird bug on tirerack where it searches for 255/35R20 when you remove the different rear tire size - correct is of course 255/35R21.

Last edited:
Yes, I was talking about the 21" wheels/tires. The only available combination (on Tirerack) of front and rears is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

The first link is for the 255/35R20 (should be R21) tire size, the second link is for the 21" rear tire size.

BTW: there's some weird bug on tirerack where it searches for 255/35R20 when you remove the different rear tire size - correct is of course 255/35R21.
yeah I know its supposed to be 21s, however like you stated I think its a bug because the link I put in was for the 21s not 20s. anyway, the best option most likely would be to get smaller wheels and tires in general. it will be cheaper and easier to deal with... I know for me we will be keeping the 21s for a good while. 1. it just looks better with those wheels on it in my opinion of course. 2 we don't drive that much and for sure are not track the Model Y ( have a P3D+ with track package coming for that) so the tires should last us or the average person at least 20k miles maybe more or a little less. But if my current P3D+ is any indication how my tires are doing, these should last over 20k. Lastly, their are people that want the 21 PUP wheels and will swap with you for the 20in induction wheels. now in my opinion I would say and even swap is not fair for you. but hey if you want a straight swap with someone plenty will do it. that might be the best option for you honestly. hope the helps you as well.

Oh yeah, at those prices...I will look to go down to 20".
yeah that's the only downside to having wheels this aggressive and or big. 20s aren't that much cheaper and or cost roughly the same depending on what tires you are looking at... my civic type r tires were 350 a pop... plus installation so it can be pricey as well.. 18s and 19s is where you save and 17 and below is like pennies. but once you crack 20in the price skyrockets

@Tech Dane I love it! I have driven about 80 miles since I got the car. My Y has been in the service center since last Friday to get some paint chips/seat stain fixed and removed. I also got full frontal PPF and ceramic coating done for the car (coating done just for the front so far, the rest after the paint issues are fixed). I recently signed up for the TeslaFi trial last week and got the data for my last 3 trips I took, so far my overall is 266 wh/mile at 86.23% efficiency. I drove it like I stole it, averaging around 75 - 85+ on the freeway. Here is a screenshot from TeslaFi-

View attachment 529831

I've been trying to find excuses to get out of the house so I drove to either Walnut Creek or Concord superchargers at like 6am in the morning, charged the car, ate breakfast in the car, and watched some Netflix lol.

Can't wait to get the car back and drive some more.

The drive isn't as bumpy or noisy as I thought it was going to be on the uberturbine wheels but I also came from a lowered modded and fairly loud sports car so I have little or no insights on how a luxury vehicle should feel like. It feels great to me, very luxurious and quiet. It's really nimble for such a heavy car.

I am going to keep the wheels for awhile too until November when black friday deals come out and I'll look into getting new wheels and tires then. Going to be interesting to see how long the current summer tires are going to last for everyone who has PUP.

How's your experience so far?
Nice, glad to hear you're getting those seats fixed man. That would drive me crazy. Incredible, 266 Wh/mi averaging 75-80 mph is very impressive for the Y on uberturbines so far. I might check in with you after a few months to see if you're still getting similar results... Dude, I've been all over the map in the past few weeks. Contemplated dropping the reservation and going with a used '18-19 MS100D, X100D, back to MYP w/ 19s. Now I'm just sticking with the original game plan and preparing as much as I can until it arrives. How's the body roll on tight turns compared to your lowered sports car? I'm coming from an AWD Santa Fe so anything is better than that.

Reactions: jwuwu
Nice, glad to hear you're getting those seats fixed man. That would drive me crazy. Incredible, 266 Wh/mi averaging 75-80 mph is very impressive for the Y on uberturbines so far. I might check in with you after a few months to see if you're still getting similar results... Dude, I've been all over the map in the past few weeks. Contemplated dropping the reservation and going with a used '18-19 MS100D, X100D, back to MYP w/ 19s. Now I'm just sticking with the original game plan and preparing as much as I can until it arrives. How's the body roll on tight turns compared to your lowered sports car? I'm coming from an AWD Santa Fe so anything is better than that.
for us the body roll isn't what you would think... its not model 3 level but its pretty close... those 275 meaty tires helps alot with grip.

• Helpful
Reactions: Bixby MS and jwuwu

Yeah I am pretty surprised with those numbers as well. Not sure if they're going to fix the seats yet since they said they're still waiting on a word from the engineers. I just try not to look at them haha. When the shelter in place gets lifted, since you're in the city, we can meet up if you'd like and go for a drive. I am sure there's going to be a tesla car meet somewhere.

I have a loaner Model S right now...it feels like boat to me. It's comfortable but doesn't bring me as much fun or joy as the Y to be honest. I haven't driven a X so I can't tell you how that feels but I can imagine it feels the same. I think you should stick with the reservation, I am hoping the upgrades they're doing to the factory will help with the car manufacturing process and alleviate the seat and paint quality issues.

As for body roll, I don't feel it at all. The car is planted to the road, the turning radius is a bit wider than I'm used to but it's not bad. I'm coming from a manual Subaru BRZ, it's a great car for the twisty roads, I still drive it around the Oakland/Berkeley hills for fun. I'll probably do the same for the Y one of these days and do a comparison. I also love one pedal driving on the Y, feels like I'm driving manual without the shifting. I am contemplating selling my BRZ, just hard for me to part with it since I've done so much to the car but I don't see a point of keeping an ICE car around anymore.

It's definitely going to be a big upgrade from the Sante Fe. I am excited for you!

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Bixby MS
This is what you get when cars are built by humans working in a tent ; )

Thought I would start a new thread to tell you my experience with the Tesla Drop Off.

I got my car (White/Black int. PUP) dropped off about an hour ago. When I got my email that the car was delivered, the agent was actually waiting for his uber so we talked for a bit. Nice kid. I was super excited, walked around the car and took some pictures. I don't see any crazy trim gaps, this car was very well assembled.
Here are some of them-View attachment 525628 View attachment 525627

View attachment 525620
View attachment 525629

After my excitement wore off a bit, the agent told me there was a slight issue...the front passenger wheel...

View attachment 525633

My initial thought was WTF...but I stayed calm. It looks like a pretty gnarly curb rash.

The agent told me that he didn't notice it until he arrived to take all the pictures to deliver and somehow this wasn't caught on during the initial inspection. I asked him to call the delivery center right away to see what they can do with this because either he will get in trouble for it and I don't want them to blame me for it as well. It will turn into a finger pointing situation. He proceeds to call them and said they will take care of it once he gets back to HQ and that service will reach out to me to setup an appt to replace the wheel. They called it "due bill" which is noted on my account, the rim will be replaced for free. I already went in the app to schedule an appointment.

Not going to lie...I am pretty disappointed with that but it's fixable.

I also went through the interior of the car, there were some sort of dark stains on the backseat which I think I can clean off. I am going to try cleaning it later. Also found a spider web near the back seat, took that out.

Another issue- my rear center and left passenger seats are having trouble reclining. It just makes a mechanical sound and then stops. It also doesn't drop down completely with the back buttons. Only after a couple tries. The right passenger seat is fine. I think it might be some of misalignment that's causing the issue which I will ask them to take care of when they replace my wheel.

I'm still playing around with the car. A few setbacks and quirks. I will keep this updated if I find anything.

Overall this car is great, looks awesome in person! (besides the wheel rash).

For all you Direct Drop Off people- Make sure to check the car right away. Keep an eye out for your delivery. If you see the whoever is delivering the car, actually ask them to stay for a bit while you go over the car real quick. I think that will help out a lot for you.

I would still prefer to pick up the car at the delivery center still if I get another Tesla in the future but giving the climate right now, this is not bad.

Stay safe! I'm going to go figure out a name for the car Model Y.

I agree.

IMO - I think perhaps the first batch MY delivered in March before the shut down ( mine 1,000 Vin) were uber scrutinized before releasing to public. As end of 2nd Quarter production deadline came near, they were trying to expedite as many delivered units as possible - let rectifications to follow.

Hopefully now into the 3rd Quarter TM will spend more time on QC issues before releasing each
MY.

Here’s hoping everyone gets their bugs fixed to their satisfaction.

I agree.

IMO - I think perhaps the first batch MY delivered in March before the shut down ( mine 1,000 Vin) were uber scrutinized before releasing to public. As end of 2nd Quarter production deadline came near, they were trying to expedite as many delivered units as possible - let rectifications to follow.

Hopefully now into the 3rd Quarter TM will spend more time on QC issues before releasing each
MY.

Here’s hoping everyone gets their bugs fixed to their satisfaction.
That theory doesn't hold water, as most late June reports are either positive or with minor issues. I think QC has indeed improved.

Reactions: mycroftxxx