Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Experience So Far

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this goes really long (Stephen King once said something about "diarrhea of the word processor" or something like that). Let's get right to it.

I have made many mistakes in the course of owning this vehicle and I will admit full responsibility for matters as we go. While I generally hate getting out of my comfort zone, I also have a curious nature and a propensity to do things "for science!" that is potentially problematic when it comes to the long term upkeep of a sick ride.

2015 Model S 85D (Deep Metallic Blue)

Mistake #1 - doing no research at all before choosing which Tesla to buy other than what was cheap (relative to the crazy at the time, more on that later), near me, pre-approved for financing with zero down payment, and available right then because someone offered to cover my shift at work of I wanted to buy this car and because I had the itch bad I just went for it. If I knew then what I know now I would have tried to find a facelifted S with FUSC if possible (idk how easy they are to find as that information doesn't tend to be shown in car listing), MCU2, ability to FSD, USS, etc.

Sticker price for said 2015 S 85D - $46990

Mistake #2 - I bought my Tesla in March 2022 near the peak of insane used vehicle prices. Needless to say I am pretty far underwater.

Mistake #3 - Long story short, there were two small dents and a gouge that I paid to fix that weren't my fault. Is what it is. $2200

Mistake #4 - A friend of mine has a driveway with a nasty drop off. Parking to the side of the road is not really an option in the winter so brave the drop off against my better judgement, you bet. Cracked radiator with other miscellany, $1200. Now, I just go really slow and precise over that drop off, cross my fingers and pray.

Mistake number #5 - Scratched rear slightly when I was backing it off of ramps at another friend's house due to me going too fast in R, not paying attention to the USS, and his girlfriend's yard being an absolutely chaotic mess (I microscopically dinged my door on an unfortunately placed wagon that I should have seen the same night). Low priority, have yet to fix. Estimated to run $800. I barely notice it nowadays but intend to fix eventually.

Mistake #6 - Worst yet. I was way too overconfident and tried to take a 90 degree turn at much too high a speed in snow. Curbed it, and quite hard. I was extraordinarily lucky and did not scratch or dent the body of the vehicle at all. What I did do was destroy the driver side front wheel, control arm, and drive shaft. With the $800 94 mile tow to the nearest Service Center and the repair running a cool $2400, I'm beginning to get a bit hot under the collar.

Of course, not even two weeks after receiving the car back, my parking brake capped out. For several days I was able to drive around by fighting with the PB using tow mode and a bit of luck. Got it to the Service Center once more $750.

It's been about a month since then. Now one of the light strips for my driver side rear brake light is out, and while I could likely replace it myself, I need to go to the city where the Service Center is anyway in the near future so I figured I'd just schedule another appointment. God knows what this is going to cost, especially if I roll in a fix for the charging port door, which neither opens nor closes reliably.

Also, I left out the part where I ended up in the ditch in a snowstorm and had to tow it out by the control arm because I haven't pulled up the frunk and confirmed if I have a tow eye in there or not, let alone practiced taking off the nose cone. Go slow when the weather is bad kids, real, real slow. I didn't count it as a full mistake because it cost me $0, there was no damage to the vehicle, and with the road conditions what they were something like that can happen easily, though I recognize I should have been going slower (was hardly ripping it up however).

Needless to say, the first year of ownership of this vehicle has been a disaster, mostly my fault. I recognize this and am committed to improving my treatment of this vehicle for my safety and the safety of others.

I share this so that others can avoid the same mistakes I've made.

20220321_122109.jpg

Damn, you had a bad year. But, chances are 2023 is likely to go better you. And, you’ve got yourself a very cool car!

Just curious, are you under 25?
I'm 28. Would you believe I insure this thing for full coverage at $98 a month? Me neither.

This vehicle has been a major learning experience and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Make fun of my mistakes even, I like to believe I'm humble and self aware enough to recognize my flaws and make the necessary changes.

I'm neither an excellent driver nor am I the worst of all time. I've been beyond lucky to still have this thing in one piece. In the first year of ownership my monthly payment has been effectively doubled due to all the repairs. Yeah I'm aware of whose fault that is ☠️

Looks like you have had a tough time, but you aren't blaming anyone else for your misfortunes (refreshing to see)! I also made some misjudgments when it came to purchasing my used model 3, but in the end I still love the car. Good luck with your S.
What were your issues with your 3? It seems like there's issues with my S every other day. I'm guessing the parking brake stopped working due to the harsh winters here in rural WI, natch for the charging port door. I'm just really hoping the battery and drive units at least hold up until I have the loan paid off 🙏🤣 I can handle getting nickeled and dimed to a point but a $20-$25k battery on top of everything would be slightly... problematic. But I wouldn't be surprised if it happened given my luck and the amount of miles I'm racking on this thing. On track for 24k miles in the first year of ownership.

Needless to say, the first year of ownership of this vehicle has been a disaster, mostly my fault.

I'd say pretty much 100% your fault :)

That being said, it sounds like you didn't get too bad of a deal on the car depending on the mileage despite being underwater. I purchased my first Tesla - a 2015 85D - in 2019 (with low mileage) for just under $53k. Of course I subsequently totaled it in an accident less than 40 days into ownership but I digress. The price you paid sounds reasonable especially given when you bought it.

For future reference, assuming your car has air suspension, you can raise it up when pulling into/out of driveways with sharp inclines so you can clear them. The car will also remember that you did that and will do it each time you are in that same area.

For other items, just need to be a little more careful. They are fun for sure but in the words of Uncle Ben, with all that power comes great responsibility.

• Disagree
Reactions: mabbas
I'd say pretty much 100% your fault :)

That being said, it sounds like you didn't get too bad of a deal on the car depending on the mileage despite being underwater. I purchased my first Tesla - a 2015 85D - in 2019 (with low mileage) for just under $53k. Of course I subsequently totaled it in an accident less than 40 days into ownership but I digress. The price you paid sounds reasonable especially given when you bought it.

For future reference, assuming your car has air suspension, you can raise it up when pulling into/out of driveways with sharp inclines so you can clear them. The car will also remember that you did that and will do it each time you are in that same area.

For other items, just need to be a little more careful. They are fun for sure but in the words of Uncle Ben, with all that power comes great responsibility.
Not to get too into the weeds, but the dents and the gouge, along with the parking brake, charge port, and tail light are not my fault (last three would pretty much be classed as normal wear and tear I suppose). A dude actually punched my car and put two dents on the body crease. The gouge came with the vehicle. Everything else, 100% me and I have no qualms about accepting responsibility for the stuff that really came about due to my own actions.

I wish I had the air suspension but sadly mine lacks it or I would be raising the suspension on that drop off every time. If I could have that, the facelift, and FSD capability I'd be one happy camper.

I do enjoy the car greatly and a big part of the learning experience is coming to terms with using such a powerful vehicle responsibly. I've gotten more than my fair share of second chances, though not without significant expense. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

What were your issues with your 3? It seems like there's issues with my S every other day. I'm guessing the parking brake stopped working due to the harsh winters here in rural WI, natch for the charging port door. I'm just really hoping the battery and drive units at least hold up until I have the loan paid off 🙏🤣 I can handle getting nickeled and dimed to a point but a $20-$25k battery on top of everything would be slightly... problematic. But I wouldn't be surprised if it happened given my luck and the amount of miles I'm racking on this thing. On track for 24k miles in the first year of ownership.
No 'real' issues. More so minor ones like water in tail-lights that I had to argue with Tesla service to replace, as well as some interior imperfections that I did not see when picking up the car. Overall I am satisfied with the car, I just know I overpaid for what I got, especially since I overestimated the usability of FSD. Still the best car I have owned!

Apologies if this goes really long (Stephen King once said something about "diarrhea of the word processor" or something like that). Let's get right to it.

I have made many mistakes in the course of owning this vehicle and I will admit full responsibility for matters as we go. While I generally hate getting out of my comfort zone, I also have a curious nature and a propensity to do things "for science!" that is potentially problematic when it comes to the long term upkeep of a sick ride.

2015 Model S 85D (Deep Metallic Blue)

Mistake #1 - doing no research at all before choosing which Tesla to buy other than what was cheap (relative to the crazy at the time, more on that later), near me, pre-approved for financing with zero down payment, and available right then because someone offered to cover my shift at work of I wanted to buy this car and because I had the itch bad I just went for it. If I knew then what I know now I would have tried to find a facelifted S with FUSC if possible (idk how easy they are to find as that information doesn't tend to be shown in car listing), MCU2, ability to FSD, USS, etc.

Sticker price for said 2015 S 85D - $46990

Mistake #2 - I bought my Tesla in March 2022 near the peak of insane used vehicle prices. Needless to say I am pretty far underwater.

Mistake #3 - Long story short, there were two small dents and a gouge that I paid to fix that weren't my fault. Is what it is. $2200

Mistake #4 - A friend of mine has a driveway with a nasty drop off. Parking to the side of the road is not really an option in the winter so brave the drop off against my better judgement, you bet. Cracked radiator with other miscellany, $1200. Now, I just go really slow and precise over that drop off, cross my fingers and pray.

Mistake number #5 - Scratched rear slightly when I was backing it off of ramps at another friend's house due to me going too fast in R, not paying attention to the USS, and his girlfriend's yard being an absolutely chaotic mess (I microscopically dinged my door on an unfortunately placed wagon that I should have seen the same night). Low priority, have yet to fix. Estimated to run $800. I barely notice it nowadays but intend to fix eventually.

Mistake #6 - Worst yet. I was way too overconfident and tried to take a 90 degree turn at much too high a speed in snow. Curbed it, and quite hard. I was extraordinarily lucky and did not scratch or dent the body of the vehicle at all. What I did do was destroy the driver side front wheel, control arm, and drive shaft. With the $800 94 mile tow to the nearest Service Center and the repair running a cool $2400, I'm beginning to get a bit hot under the collar.

Of course, not even two weeks after receiving the car back, my parking brake capped out. For several days I was able to drive around by fighting with the PB using tow mode and a bit of luck. Got it to the Service Center once more $750.

It's been about a month since then. Now one of the light strips for my driver side rear brake light is out, and while I could likely replace it myself, I need to go to the city where the Service Center is anyway in the near future so I figured I'd just schedule another appointment. God knows what this is going to cost, especially if I roll in a fix for the charging port door, which neither opens nor closes reliably.

Also, I left out the part where I ended up in the ditch in a snowstorm and had to tow it out by the control arm because I haven't pulled up the frunk and confirmed if I have a tow eye in there or not, let alone practiced taking off the nose cone. Go slow when the weather is bad kids, real, real slow. I didn't count it as a full mistake because it cost me $0, there was no damage to the vehicle, and with the road conditions what they were something like that can happen easily, though I recognize I should have been going slower (was hardly ripping it up however).

Needless to say, the first year of ownership of this vehicle has been a disaster, mostly my fault. I recognize this and am committed to improving my treatment of this vehicle for my safety and the safety of others.

I share this so that others can avoid the same mistakes I've made.

View attachment 899949
Jeezus…

I am looking to get into a used S instead of a 3.

Seems like you said 2016 facelift is the best year for a used S. What is FUSC ?

I am debating getting a used 2013 which has had battery replaced 3 year warranty vs 2016 which would have 1 year warranty left

I am debating getting a used 2013 which has had battery replaced 3 year warranty vs 2016 which would have 1 year warranty left

As someone who has owned a 2013 and a 2015 I can tell you it is definitely worth it to get the newer model.

Reactions: ResHacker

Free unlimited supercharging. If you want my opinion, I would be looking for a "unicorn" Model S. They were only manufactured during 2017 after the Autopilot hardware refresh but before they yanked free unlimited supercharging that transfers between owners. They have the potential to have the following following features -

- Free Unlimited Supercharging
-Autopilot Hardware 2, thus FSD capability + Smart Summon
- Facelifted bumper

One thing to keep mind is that these vehicles only come in 75D, P/90D, and P/100D to the best of my knowledge. I may be wrong, so there feel free to correct me if I have wrong info.

Wowsers! Good on your to fess up to your mistakes and I hope you learn from them. I grew up with the fear of making mistakes and so I became hyper-vigilant at assessing the situation. I also sail in a crowded harbor with multi-million dollar yachts and have to tack back and forth to avoid paddle boarders constantly so it's like real-life Frogger. Perhaps you'd benefit from watching Youtube videos of other people's car accidents and spinouts so you can learn from their mistakes instead of learning from your own. My brother-in-law is much more gung-ho with his approach and he's spun out several times at the track, eaten in downhill twice in the same spot while mountain biking, and crushed his radiator while winching his car up a trailer after snapping an axle at the track. Going too fast is very hard on the wallet.

Reactions: omegashadow
Wowsers! Good on your to fess up to your mistakes and I hope you learn from them. I grew up with the fear of making mistakes and so I became hyper-vigilant at assessing the situation. I also sail in a crowded harbor with multi-million dollar yachts and have to tack back and forth to avoid paddle boarders constantly so it's like real-life Frogger. Perhaps you'd benefit from watching Youtube videos of other people's car accidents and spinouts so you can learn from their mistakes instead of learning from your own. My brother-in-law is much more gung-ho with his approach and he's spun out several times at the track, eaten in downhill twice in the same spot while mountain biking, and crushed his radiator while winching his car up a trailer after snapping an axle at the track. Going too fast is very hard on the wallet.
I do watch a lot of Wham Bam TeslaCam and Idiots in Cars. If my vehicle had the right hardware I could have sent in footage that may have landed me on those channels several times. But watching accidents and wrecks does make me more conscious of all the things that can go wrong and what I need to do to stay safe on the road and ride out this loan without getting ol' Tessie totaled!

I'm 28. Would you believe I insure this thing for full coverage at $98 a month? Me neither.
I'm assuming you didn't make claims on any of the various dings and minor incidents. :)

Just out of curiosity, what was your previous vehicle? I have heard complaints that the Model S is "too big" but I never felt that way with mine, though my previous car had been a full-size American sedan (Chevy Impala, which was actually an inch or two longer than the S.)