Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Garage: A Labor Day Weekend Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In an earlier post over on the Model 3 Owners Club forum, I teased of an upcoming “project” but didn’t provide any details (seeeecrets)! I wanted to keep this under wraps until it was totally complete without any leaks (unlike all the upcoming Apple and Google products)! With an extended weekend for Labor Day, it was time to put my plan into action and I’m pleased to say that I was able to get it done and can now share with everyone. I hope you like it! And hope you don’t mind my giddy crossposting, I’m super hype!

Im very happy to reveal...
ADC2E9BA-64D9-40E5-9CB8-4B61A8E728CC.jpeg

MY TESLA GARAGE!!!

Talk about an idea that sounds cool, but making it happen it took SO much more work than anticipated. I already knew this but this project truly highlighted the point that I’m way more of a creative person than I am handy! I’m old so I’m sore, I made a huge mess, had many runs to stores for things I forgot, I nearly quit a few times when running into road blocks, like the red paint needing TONS of coats (I think I did 6 or 7?) just to get coverage over some pencil lead math I’d done on the drywall. This was just a labor of LABOR (well, and some love...but mostly LABOR)! And still things didn’t turn out 100% how I wanted (I could nitpick it to death and point out all the flaws...the traits of my artistic curse I suppose), but overall I’m happy with how it turned out (for now). I wish I had a good camera to post a timelapse or a nice YouTube video but I don’t, and even if I did, I’ve never made one so I wouldn’t know where to begin really. I did manage to use iMovie and capture all the pictures into one video, complete with generic iMovie music!) which I’ve posted to YouTube, so that will save me from having to post 50ish images, and you from having to scroll...scroll...scroll! I’m sure the forum bandwidth gods appreciate this too. ;)

I do want take this time here to thank, and give a big shout out to Erik from the DÆrik YouTube channel for the paint color, the idea for the MDF wood as an option, and basically for the idea as a whole. I pretty much stole it, but not in a bad way! Promise! More in a “that is so awesome, I must have it!” way. I did add my own little twist as well, so there’s that. I’ll link to his video at the end of this post. I don’t know if he’s on this forum, but even if not I just want to say thank you to him and hope he (and all of you) like(s) my results. I do see a username registered so going to tag @DÆrik

Highlights:
- LED light strip combo pack was inexpensive on Amazon
- Illuminates the garage using a motion sensor!
- Tesla logo and lettering made from .75” thick MDF (medium density fiberboard)

Lowlights:
- Sorry for the repetitive iMovie music!
- I’m sore and have to go back to work tomorrow!! :(
- Not an original idea on my part. Other than adding some lights, I’m a thief!! (Sorry, I really wanted the same thing in my garage)

Here is a link to @DÆrik awesome video that made me want to do this:

Wow, he was damn cool, dude! How much work! Did you think about how to make out garages for money, huh?) ;) I think there would be a demand.
Thanks :) I appreciate the kind words! I worked on it all day Friday, a lot on Saturday, and a little bit on Sunday and Monday...if I had to guess I’d say 15-20 hours. The kicker is I’m not too handy so someone with some handyman skills would easily do this in like half the time or less! Lol
That is definitely something someone should do! Make something like this for sale. Would be sweet if it was Tesla themselves! I definitely know I’m not the guy to do it, like I said I’m just not too handy...and with what I made, it’s ok for myself, but to sell it to someone and have them find all my imperfections would be not good! They’d demand a refund!