Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla goes for a run every day for six miles while I sit in my office all day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6 miles or 2% - I don't care how you look at it I just wish it would tell you where the energy was going. my phone tells me exactly which apps are consuming how much battery. why can't my car?!?

fwiw, mine loses about 10 miles everyday in the summer sitting in the parking lot.

Yeah that would be nice. I suspect that energy consumption in the Tesla is a little more complex though to be fair.

In your case, sounds like a combination of sentry mode and cabin overheat protection. Sentry mode can easily chew through a couple miles an hour since it’s always recording. If it’s hot enough, cabin overheat protection can probably take that 10 miles by itself.

Yeah that would be nice. I suspect that energy consumption in the Tesla is a little more complex though to be fair.

I disagree. They have current sensors on all of the major loads and the battery so they know exactly where the current is going. That is a lot easier to measure than calculating energy usage of an app based on cpu load. They just need to display it for us.

In your case, sounds like a combination of sentry mode and cabin overheat protection. Sentry mode can easily chew through a couple miles an hour since it’s always recording. If it’s hot enough, cabin overheat protection can probably take that 10 miles by itself.

I'm not sure sentry mode really consumes all that much in my scenario. Many times I've forgotten to turn sentry mode on after an update and the car is still down about the same number of miles. Even switching cabin protection from a/c to fans only didn't really make much of a difference. I don't know what it is doing, but it is consuming about the same amount of energy sitting there as it takes to get me to work.

I'm not sure sentry mode really consumes all that much in my scenario. Many times I've forgotten to turn sentry mode on after an update and the car is still down about the same number of miles. Even switching cabin protection from a/c to fans only didn't really make much of a difference. I don't know what it is doing, but it is consuming about the same amount of energy sitting there as it takes to get me to work.

FWIW I've never had an update turn sentry OFF to where I'd have needed to turn it back on.

If it's consuming about the same energy with sentry on as off that suggests the car is never sleeping (sentry prevents it from doing so)- are you running any 3rd party logging stuff that'd keep waking the car up?

FWIW I've never had an update turn sentry OFF to where I'd have needed to turn it back on.

If it's consuming about the same energy with sentry on as off that suggests the car is never sleeping (sentry prevents it from doing so)- are you running any 3rd party logging stuff that'd keep waking the car up?

If I do an update at work where I have sentry on it tells I need to turn sentry off for the update to continue. I've always just turned it off and hit continue. Maybe it will turn off automatically but the message implied I needed to do so in order to continue. I don't know.

I don't have any other 3rd party apps. I'm actually investigating them now to see if I can learn anything. If I open the app on my phone during the day it says waking up and takes a bit before it connects. I assume that means it was sleeping.