Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My tesla is a fast moving tank

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hit a deer going 45 mph (jumped out from dense brush alongside road). It was so sudden not even enough time to get foot on the brake pedal. Full grown deer flew 30 feet, dead. Hit dead center and air bags didn't deploy. What surprised me was relative lack of damage to car. Small crack in nose cone and a small linear crease in frunk hatch (very front center). The frunk hatch still works. This would have likely totaled another car. Felt bump but not anything dramatic by occupents in the car.

Hit a deer going 45 mph (jumped out from dense brush alongside road). It was so sudden not even enough time to get foot on the brake pedal. Full grown deer flew 30 feet, dead. Hit dead center and air bags didn't deploy. What surprised me was relative lack of damage to car. Small crack in nose cone and a small linear crease in frunk hatch (very front center). The frunk hatch still works. This would have likely totaled another car. Felt bump but not anything dramatic by occupents in the car.
Photos or it didn't happen ;-)

That simultaneously sucks and amazes. Glad everyone is ok. I imagine the aerodynamic shape helped as well. Any paint damage?
None except the crease which is about 6 inches long

- - - Updated - - -

Krugerrand, You beat me too it.

- - - Updated - - -

Photos or it didn't happen ;-)
Would prefer it didn't happen. How do you imbed photo. Will do if you tell me

imagejpeg

Last edited:
Small crack in nose cone and a small linear crease in frunk hatch (very front center). The frunk hatch still works.

Great story! So glad you, your passengers, and your car are all in such good shape!

A note of encouragement: My Signature had a pickup truck with a high bumper back into it while parked in Vancouver last spring. It created a very similar crease in the hood. The hood was repaired and repainted for only a few hundred $CAD. I did not even file it for insurance (for obvious reasons).

You are lucky because it hit the front and not side of the car...Agreed this car is very strong for frontal impact

Check my post for deer t boned my car::: Here is the link http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/55371-T-boned-by-deer-(graphic-photo)

Feel sorry for the deer. No fault of that animal.

Better dead than maimed and dying slowly, but that is no consolation to what we are inflicting on them.
Yeah I do too but there is a bow deer hunting program going on now in the state parks in northern Virginia since over population getting out of hand. Heard statistic that the deer population is higher now than in colonial times. I would think that although bow hunting safer than rifle (bullets travel very far) but suspect it is not as kind as instant death

are you going to post pictures of your car ?
otherwise this thread is pointless, as I can't belive you it really happened

Feel sorry for the deer. No fault of that animal.

Better dead than maimed and dying slowly, but that is no consolation to what we are inflicting on them.

If that forest rat had jumped out in front of a motorcyclist instead of a 4600 lbs vehicle, the rider would be in the ER right now, and likely facing months of reconvalescence ... if he was lucky.

Wolves can't make their comeback soon enough :mad:

Just make sure there was no internal damage to the internals... Seems like the car did a great job of absorbing what sounds like a somewhat major impact. If any internal impact absorbing structures were compromised you should have them replaced to ensure the car will handle a subsequent situation like this just as well...