Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My tesla is stuck (completely shut down by malfunction) in my building’s indoor parking …any suggestions on towing it out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My tesla (model s p85d 2015) is stuck (completely shut down by malfunction) in my building’s indoor parking …any suggestions on towing it out?

I called Tesla support and they say they wont send someone because remote diagnostic shows they have to bring it in to repair.

The car is totally shut down for no apparent reason… one morning nothing was lighting up ( none of the screen or fonction except the front lights were working) … since yesterday the doors wont even open …

I spoke to a tow truck cie but they had no real suggestions unless i could at least put the car on neutral … tesla referred me to roadside assistance wich then refered me again to another normal towing cie who doesn’t know…

Anyone as any idea where i should go from there?

Thanks

Attachments

• 60E000C7-D581-45B7-9264-EBCD39A0EBDB.jpeg
    60E000C7-D581-45B7-9264-EBCD39A0EBDB.jpeg
    469.4 KB · Views: 496
  • D8775C9B-EFB3-4CF1-AC56-2449092DE230.jpeg
    D8775C9B-EFB3-4CF1-AC56-2449092DE230.jpeg
    377.6 KB · Views: 198
  • C5742D1A-CE31-43B0-8007-0E5DDA615DDC.jpeg
    C5742D1A-CE31-43B0-8007-0E5DDA615DDC.jpeg
    447.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 18DAAE53-5037-4623-9FF0-BE9C496406CC.jpeg
    18DAAE53-5037-4623-9FF0-BE9C496406CC.jpeg
    402.3 KB · Views: 184
Thanks for the suggestion but
I don’t think jump start would be any help since it’s not a power issue but a major dysfunction in the car… ? the car was almost fully charged when stopped working, and even when the lights and doors would still open 2 days ago none of the command or screen were fonctionning… since yesterday even the door handle won’t open so i cant access the inside of the car.

Upvote 0
I don’t think jump start would be any help since it’s not a power issue but a major dysfunction in the car… ? the car was almost fully charged when stopped working, and even when the lights and doors would still open 2 days ago none of the command or screen were fonctionning… since yesterday even the door handle won’t open so i cant access the inside of the car.
Some tow trucks have the dollies. They all have a way to jump your 12volt. Look for Tesla nosecone jumpstart on YouTube.
thinking about it, I’ll still tryto jump start it anyway, you never know … i looked up how to remove the nose cone and seems pretty easy, thanks for the tip

Upvote 0
There are connection points behind the nosecone. After the top of the nosecone is pulled away a few inches then you can hook up 12volt jumpers.
Show the tow truck driver how to do it. A plastic scraper or pry bar is needed.
You don’t to “start” it. Just give it 12V from a jump box to power up the computer and let you put it into tow mode. Have wheel chocks handy in case it wants to roll forward OR backwards. Need someone steering and someone pushing…

Reactions: stetreault
Upvote 0
Main HV battery state of charge doesn't not help you when the car is parked and the 12V battery dies. Jump start can still help there, just enough for the car to engage the HV battery contactor and start the DC-DC converter. Of course, if your 12V battery is dead, you will have the same problem next time you shut the car down (when you park it).

Upvote 0
Glad to see the car was successfully retrieved.

It's a glaring failure on Tesla's part that roadside assistance didn't provide the critical instructions on how to get car out. Tesla forwarding OP to random towing companies is pretty pathetic. Given unique nature of Tesla's (and I guess all BEV's?), when one becomes a giant paperweight on the road there should be clear step-by-step details provided by Tesla on how to safely get car on a tow truck bed and to service center. I see Musk is planning a round of staffing cuts. Hope it doesn't further degrade the sorry state of Tesla service.

Upvote 0
I was going to suggest asking building management to report an illegally parked car. Those tow guys can get anything.
haha 😆 building manager is my mother in law … the guy roadside finally sent was actually the same guy who towed my car 5 years ago when my 12 v batterie failed for the first time, he told me he is doing pretty much all tesla his cie towed for few years and he knew his way with it pretty well. So in the end everything went great.

Reactions: Don.Church
Upvote 0