Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Model S Build Thread...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, I love what you’re doing to your S. I have been upgrading my P85D and plan to post a “completed” thread and you’ll see some of your influence on it.

As others have mentioned, the caliper covers are the only thing I don’t like. You have high quality calipers and you’re hiding them.

I have used caliper paint kits on several Porches in the past and the results are as good as stock. 991’s have a nice jack point at the rear of the vehicle that makes it easy to get the car onto four jack stands. I’m sure you can figure out a way to do it on a Tesla.

If not, I bet you could do both the fronts and then both rears at once. If you have SAS, put it in jack mode and drive onto some 2x4s. Then jack up one side as high as possible and try to slide a jack stand under the opposite side. I have not done this before with a Tesla, but it’s worked on other cars.

Here’s an example of my last 997 with calipers I painted in one afternoon:

F8D29E46-BA1C-4E8C-8AC0-F192C690A6F6.jpeg

Thought I would upload some rear shots of the bumper now that it's all painted and mounted up. I will say, don't waste your money on a carbon fiber diffuser ($1000) when you can just wrap it ($50). I think it looks great and saves a lot of money, and lets be honest, a carbon fiber diffuser isn't going to magically get you more range nor add 50 bhp to the car.

IMG_0089.jpg
IMG_0091.jpg

Reactions: SilverGS
Alright, thought I'd post some finishedish pics of the car. I can't wash it for a little bit (will come next week) because the paint needs to finish its curing and hardening. I still don't think the caliper covers look bad, especially behind the turbines, but that's going to change - all of your peer pressure is to blame. :) Just ordered the vinyl from vvivid for the calipers and some of their 5d carbon fiber stuff for the mirror caps (should make them look like real carbon fiber without costing hundreds for custom carbon fiber mirror caps). I won't put on the carbon mirror covers some sell because it leaves a gap in the front and it would drive me INSANE seeing white paint when I looked into them while driving. Anyway, pics below:

--Suspension set to very high and jack mode--

IMG_0061.jpg
IMG_0062.jpg

--Back to normal height--

IMG_0063.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg

Still got to figure out what to do with those chrome badges...

Last edited:
Looks Great! You know what I think about the calipers, so I will say no more on that. One more easy "update" would be PlastiDip on the "Model S" and the "85+" to finish off the chrome delete.

Overall, what a beautiful P85+!!!!

Thanks man. Yeah, I thought about plastidip, but I've had some bad experience in the past with it. I'm trying to find some vector graphics of the "model S" and see if I can make some custom cut vinyl.

No joke, I've been playing with that idea. Seems pretty easy and straightforward, I just worry that it looks a little "too much..."
Definitely hear you. I’m just starting to improve my S and have the appliqué in body color on the way. Concerned about the same thing that if it was black/carbon, lit and then I did everything you pretty much did it would be too much. On the other end, I can always wrap it if the rear end looks too plain.

Definitely hear you. I’m just starting to improve my S and have the appliqué in body color on the way. Concerned about the same thing that if it was black/carbon, lit and then I did everything you pretty much did it would be too much. On the other end, I can always wrap it if the rear end looks too plain.

Definitely post up some pics when you get it. I'd like to see what it looks like!

Got the vinyl today. All from Vivvd Vinyl (well minus the lettering). They shipped it quickly through Amazon. I also bought some of their 5D carbon fiber wrap and did some comparisons to the carbon fiber wing and license plate frame. VERY close to the license plate frame, not quite as close to the wing. Wing seems to have more "glitter" in it...

IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0008.jpg
IMG_0009.jpg

So minor update - I tried to get in to my wrap guy prior to a trip to Tel Aviv this week, but it just wasn't in the cards. I've got an appt for the 18th of December which is a ways out, but I couldn't get in earlier because of a trip to NYC. I'm already beyond sick of living out of a suitcase and this will put me over the edge. Anyway, might not be many updates until then, but wanted to put that out there. Sucks because I'm excited to get this thing wrapped up!

Just swapped out my puddle lights. Did the 'T' on the front doors and the 'S' on the back. I think they look good and much more focused than the regular abstract oceans. That said they throw less light too. It's a trade-off I suppose. Still like them though...

Front:

IMG_0625.jpg
IMG_0626.jpg

Rear:

IMG_0623.jpg
IMG_0624.jpg

@Abstract Ocean

Last edited:
Got the mirrors and 'v' wrapped yesterday. I'm still on the fence with the 'v' but it may be that I just need to get used to it. Also made an attempt to wrap the calipers. Unfortunately the stuff I bought on eBay from vvivid didn't provide enough material. They had cut squares but with our large Brembo's the squares weren't large enough. Too many seams and ugliness. I'm going to try again, but buy a roll of the stuff. Anyway, here are the pics of the 'v' and the mirror backs. They look like real carbon fiber in person.

IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg