Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Model S P85 Accident - Is it REPAIRABLE or TOTALED?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dvn222

Jan 4, 2014
Mayo
The thing that Tesla doesn't tell you when buying their vehicle is that it can only be repaired by a Tesla authorized repair shop. Tesla does not sell parts to the public (ie, other non-authoized Tesla repair shops). I did not know this until I was notified by both my insurance and my mechanic.

In the video below, the master mechanic believes that the front end of the vehicle is completely compromised and that the structural integrity is lost. (The car was the very last car of a 3 way car accident, hitting a Ford Explorer, while going about 60mph.

In Southern California, there are only 4 shops - Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Costa Mesa and San Diego. I'm not confident with any of the shops they recommended.

I'm worried that if I bring it to one of these authorized shops they will say that the car is repairable because they don't want to lose out on a big paycheck for repairs. (For the vehicle to be totaled, I believe that either (1) the total estimated repair bill must 70-75% of value or (2) there is structural damaged causing the car to be unsafe).

From the video and pictures below, do you think the car is repairable or totaled?

VIDEO

PICTURES

Below are a pictures of Tesla Model S P85 before, during, and after a tear down.

2013-12-13-11-59-32.jpg

2013-12-13-12-01-14.jpg

The main point of impact was the front end of the vehicle, with the passenger side absorbing much of the impact. Both airbags from the steering wheel and foot compartment are deployed.

2013-12-13-11-50-42.jpg

imag1017.jpg

The strut tower is pushed back about 6-7 inches and there are cracked aluminum fragments from the body as seen above.

imag1021.jpg

The impact was so sever that it caused the connecting middle crossmember to nearly split in half! Even FIREWALL CRACKED! There is a visible 1 inch split (pointed out in the video).

imag1007.jpg

Both left and right aprons are gone. In addition, A-pillar is extremely damaged.

imag1011-e1388899818973.jpg

Notice the two red dots on the top of the picture. Originally, they held the batter wires on the front end of the vehicle. Now notice the third red dot in the middle of the picture. That is positive battery wire displaced from its original position. This wire could have been in contact with other parts of the aluminum body.

Luckily, everyone walked away from the accident unharmed. However, in the expert opinion of the Certified Master Mechanic, "the whole front-end is completely compromised... the structural integrity of the front end.. is completely lost."

Do you think the car is repairable or totaled? (More pictures can be found here: My Tesla Model S P85 Accident | Pictures and Videos of My Tesla Model S Accident)

t.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked with an authorized service repair in Ohio and they were completely reputable. Sounds like the Model S did it's job and gave itself up for the occupants. My guess is you will be ordering a new one. Good luck and I'm glad everyone was safe and sound.

Looks to me that you'll soon be in the market for a new Model S. The accident is certainly sad and emotionally traumatic, but also a testament to the car's safety . . . no injuries in the MS from a 60mph accident!

There is clearly a downside to Tesla's unwillingness to sell parts to just any repair shop, but, as a stockholder, I wouldn't want the Tesla brand to take a hit to their reputation from a repair in a shop that doesn't know the finer points of such a sophisticated car.

I would also think with a tight rein on parts and distribution, parts would be less desirable to be bought and sold through questionable sources and easier to track. Would that cut down on black market (chop shop) and thereby make the car even less desirable to steal? Would think insurance companies would appreciate that.

Looks like the car worked as designed and saved the occupants from injury, glad you are ok! The pack would have been physically disconnected on impact, so HV shorts should not happen unless the pack itself is compromised.

Anyone know what that large cylinder in the frunk is for?

I think they will probably 'total' it, too. However, from the one interior pic you posted, it looks like the onboard computer system is still working. Amazing, after an impact like you described. Perhaps it can eventually be repaired to street worthiness by someone as the damage appears to be mostly structural.

I would like to thank everyone here for their concerns and advice. Grateful that everyone walked away unharmed and it is a testament to the car's safety features. I will probably get another Tesla if this vehicle is considered totaled.

However, I would need to deal with Geico first, which I've heard can be difficult. I will update you all on the claims process.

If you want to take the worry about a disreputable shop, have a service center estimate the repair/loss. That can be done, right?

That is true, but I'm not sure if service centers generally deal with body work repairs or just extensive repairs in general. I will call them tomorrow morning.

In Southern California, there are only 4 shops - Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Costa Mesa and San Diego. I'm not confident with any of the shops they recommended.

I had my "S" repaired at Avio Coach Craft on Pontius Avenue (near the 405/10 interchange) in LA. Tons of Teslas being repaired, and a great overall experience. If you haven't looked them up, I'd highly recommend them.

It is pretty simple. From a claims adjuster and auto insurance perspective, the total repair costs, plus loss of use during the repairs have to be more expensive than the fair market value of the vehicle minus the salvage value. It really comes down to dollars and cents.

If you really want the car to be a TLV, tell the adjuster that right up front. Then help supply documentation to make it easier for the adjuster to make that decision and sell it to his superiors. I would get a repair estimate from a good shop (to negotiate down from), and I would also try to the local Tesla Service Center to weigh in on the expense and difficulty of the repairs due to the structural damage. Perhaps the SC might think that it is impossible to economically repair the car.

I would then try to get some information about the salvage value of the Tesla (which might be pretty high if the battery pack is intact). You want the salvage value to be high.

You also want to gather evidence about the fair-market value of your Model S before the accident. How old was it and how many miles are on it? You want to look for comparable sales if possible, trying to find the lowest ones possible.