Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Model S wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my wishlist for the Model S user interface, most of which I think is very doable. The big thing I'd love is more tech-friendly things since so many drivers are techies like me, especially around the drivetrain. But I really wish I could turn on the autopilot debug mode:

Screen-Shot-2015-10-14-at-4.07.26-PM.png

So on to my list:

1) Ability to turn on more tech-heavy info screens
2) Ability to show old speedometer/energy meter when not in autopilot
3) Ability to save my spot in an MP3-based audio book (this still won't even work overnight, no less if I switch sources)
4) Ability to tie Bluetooth devices to driver profile and also enable an alert (per device) if you leave without it.
5) Waypoints in the nav system, ability to delete specific supercharger stops but not all of them.
6) Ability to map air suspension to right scroll wheel function
7) Ability to set a scheduled charging STOP time rather than a start time so charging can finish right before you need it.
8) Add a ~30sec delay when you leave the vehicle and close the doors before the climate control turns off (can show a countdown on the big screen too) so that it doesn't turn on/off/on/off while I'm loading my kids in the car.
9) More customization options, I feel that there is room to grow there.
10) Waze integration
11) Pandora integration
12) App marketplace

3) Ability to save my spot in an MP3-based audio book (this still won't even work overnight, no less if I switch sources)

This is also an issue for me. I like to listen to the audio edition of The Economist on a USB stick. Even though I put the audio on pause when I shut down the car, at some point it resumes playing and I find myself 10 or 20 tracks ahead of where I left it, when I return to the car.

Why?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I don't understand. Just slow down, or don't change lanes.

The poster was talking about Autopilot. To slow down, you need to take manual control, thus negating the advantage of having Autopilot.

0. Cache the map tiles for the entire route so that the map doesn't go blank when outside cell phone range.
1. Make the + and - buttons on the Nav screen bigger and put them on the left side of the screen so they're easier to reach; move the turn list to the right side.
2. The NAV's trip over view mode is very nice in that it continuously zooms in as you approach your destination. Do the same thing as you approach each turn, returning to the full overview mode after passing the turn.
3. Multiple intermediate waypoints!
4. Cache the map tiles for the entire route so that the map doesn't go blank when outside cell phone range!
5. Make zooming the map one of the things you can do with the right steering wheel scroll wheel.
6. Make the turn list background transparent so that it doesn't obscure so much of the map; make an option to collapse it to show just one upcoming turn.
7. Cache the map tiles for the entire route so that the map doesn't go blank when outside cell phone range!!

Last edited:
Simple things on my list

1.) A night mode for the navigation window where it shows what lane you're supposed to be in before the fork.
2.) The ability to turn off the 17inch screen (yes, I know there are blank websites, but it's still on). I can't see why it would be so hard to turn off the backlight and only have it come back on for a few minutes after I touch it.
3.) Lights that don't turn on/off so often when in the automode. Add some hysteresis.
4.) The ability to control front/rear frost from the app. So I can turn them on remotely just like I can turn on climate control.

- - - Updated - - -

What about showing the date somewhere? Can't believe they left it out both in the huge main screen and the newly introduced clock app in the instrument which is pretty blank and unnecessarily simple.

The European version has the clock/temp added. I'd be really surprised if the next update for the north american market didn't have this.

To add to my own list here are a few items I forgot. First, in terms of physical improvements I think the car should have "oh sh*t" handles and lighted vanity mirrors, both for my significant other :)

For autopilot I continue to be very impressed and I do notice it getting better every day. But some other enhancements I'd like to see:

1) Better notification of speed limit changes when on AP. In other words, if I'm cruising at my fixed offset relative to the speed limit, and then the speed limit changes, consider a setting to automatically adjust my speed, or at least give me a chime.

2) Better logic around lane placement, if only for the sanity of the real pilot. Basically favor the side of the lane that doesn't have an obstacle. So if I'm between a semi truck and a wall, favor the wall. But if I'm next to a wall and nobody is in the next lane, favor the empty lane. Others have suggested a way to manually control this as well which I'd be in favor of too.

3) More (optional) info so I can see what the AP sees, in other words the center display is fine but I'd like even more details so that I can better understand what it is seeing and predict what it is going to do.

4) Integration with your navigation route, so if it can tell the lane splits off into an offramp but you are supposed to stay on the highway, well stay on the highway. Or even turn off on its own, or at least alert the driver to take over to take the exit.

5) It still doesn't look far enough ahead for slowing/stopped cars in my opinion. I know the radar can see pretty far ahead but I regularly have to disable AP to start stopping sooner (yeah the car has plenty of time to stop, but why wear out my brakes and/or put myself at risk if the other traffic suddenly stops faster if I don't need to)

6) I'd like a little more gentleness in stop & go traffic. Sometimes the car will stop fairly suddenly if the car in front does that. If I'm going 2mph and the car in front of me just stopped but I have 20-ft in front of me, stop in 5 feet instead of 2 feet. And ease off the brake right before the car will come to a full stop. This improves passenger comfort.