Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Model X delivery nightmare continues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've bought 2 Teslas. I don't remember any issues with the first one, but the second one had a big piece of plastic in the frunk area that was defective. When I brought it to their attention they claimed it was unfortunate but they could not and would not fix it. I finally went to the regional service manager and got it taken care of. Above someone noted Tesla is not known for delivering "perfect" cars. I agree with this. No one should buy a Tesla for any reason except the electric aspect right now. AP is not worth much (in my opinion, and yes I'm in the minority) and the feel of the car is just not equal to what an ICE of similar price delivers. I love it because it uses zero gas, and that will always be why I'm glad I have it. I hope you're a fan of electric cars too, or ultimately I think you'll be disappointed in it.

Well, I'm a big fan of Tesla's technology, especially its AP2.0. That's almost all I'm after for this car.

But, its price tag and its position as a luxury vehicle raised your expectation of the quality of build and quality of service.

Reactions: Andyw2100
Wow.

First, I don't understand why a reorder on Jan 9th would disqualify me from the unlimited free supercharging benefit. I don't understand your reasoning there.

Second, gravels on the tires of a new car is very different from gravels in the tire after I drive it.

If they treat this as a reorder, I'm happy to enjoy the 7-day cancellation policy and get my money back. However, they did not seem to treat it this way. They want to treat the car as if it's ordered today and my deposit as if the order was made three months back.

It doesn't disqualify you so much as the original deadline was Jan 1st. The extension until Jan 15th was a courtesy. Courtesies are not rights that can be demanded. Especially since your delivery date was originally on the 9th.

The gravel and refusing the services of a body shop is what crossed the line. "Since I paid so much for it, I better get perfection, excuses be damned" is what comes to mind.

The handling of the reorder shows that you have every intention of trying to get every penny back. You had a window of opportunity to cancel your original order, and knew that once it was confirmed, you would lose your deposit if you backed out of the purchase. This should've already been known to you. Yet, you're trying to loophole that contingency.

You have a right to refuse delivery _until the issues are resolved_, but that doesn't mean that you get to dictate how the issues are to be resolved. You can't demand that a car go back to a factory to be repainted, because you have ZERO idea about whether or not they're even equipped to do that. That's what body shops are for!

Hey, I get that you paid good money for a new car, and the window trim and paint flecks definitely need to be addressed, but I'm being hard on you for your hardline stance.

It doesn't disqualify you so much as the original deadline was Jan 1st. The extension until Jan 15th was a courtesy. Courtesies are not rights that can be demanded. Especially since your delivery date was originally on the 9th.

The gravel and refusing the services of a body shop is what crossed the line. "Since I paid so much for it, I better get perfection, excuses be damned" is what comes to mind.

The handling of the reorder shows that you have every intention of trying to get every penny back. You had a window of opportunity to cancel your original order, and knew that once it was confirmed, you would lose your deposit if you backed out of the purchase. This should've already been known to you. Yet, you're trying to loophole that contingency.

You have a right to refuse delivery _until the issues are resolved_, but that doesn't mean that you get to dictate how the issues are to be resolved. You can't demand that a car go back to a factory to be repainted, because you have ZERO idea about whether or not they're even equipped to do that. That's what body shops are for!

Hey, I get that you paid good money for a new car, and the window trim and paint flecks definitely need to be addressed, but I'm being hard on you for your hardline stance.

To clarify, I want the vehicle. Being speculative about my intention is insulting.

All I was complaining in this post was that Tesla orally agreed a rebuild (which of course I was assuming to be the same configuration as I initially ordered) and now that Tesla changed their mind by saying the rebuild would not come with free supercharging, incentivizing me to take the vehicle that was originally built for me. They could have said no initially and we could work from there. But going back and forth on the specifics of the rebuild is really annoying me.

Note that I still have the option of taking a rebuild without the supercharing. Even Tesla thinks that a rebuild could be appropriate, maybe my request was not that crossing the line for them. I personally would take that as a courtesy of course. However, my feeling is that imposing the no free supercharging thing on the rebuild is totally ruining all their good intent or courtesy. They could have got a really happy customer praising their going beyond and above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mjølner
They'll have to do that anyway because some VINs will not be delivered before the other cut off date of April 15

I suspect in the end it will only be by production date. Tesla said 4/15 so people don't try to play games and also give tesla an "out" in extreme cases. If you ordered by 1/15 and take delivery 4/17, I'm reasonably confident you'll still get it.

To clarify, I want the vehicle. Being speculative about my intention is insulting.

All I was complaining in this post was that Tesla orally agreed a rebuild (which of course I was assuming to be the same configuration as I initially ordered) and now that Tesla changed their mind by saying the rebuild would not come with free supercharging, incentivizing me to take the vehicle that was originally built for me. They could have said no initially and we could work from there. But going back and forth on the specifics of the rebuild is really annoying me.

Note that I still have the option of taking a rebuild without the supercharing. Even Tesla thinks that a rebuild could be appropriate, maybe my request was not that crossing the line for them. I personally would take that as a courtesy of course. However, my feeling is that imposing the no free supercharging thing on the rebuild is totally ruining all their good intent or courtesy. They could have got a really happy customer praising their going beyond and above.
Let's go back to the beginning again, and the reasons for a new rebuild. Seals, gravel, paint. The seals can be easily replaced/repaired, but otherwise, it sounds like you're looking for a level of perfection you will never get with a Tesla. Paint and gravel can also be addressed quite easily, but if your trim and doors all lined up perfectly, then you would be crazy to ask for a new vehicle.

However, back to perfection. If that's your expectation, you're in for a bad experience. Not only is this still (somewhat) a first production year vehicle, but it is highly software dependent. You're going to have all sorts of hiccups until the software matures (like missing AutoPilot features, doors that need recalibrating, features that mysteriously stop working, a vehicle that needs rebooting, etc.).

I don't think you know what you're getting yourself into, and I strongly suggest you consider walking away from this purchase. Maybe a year from now things will have stabilized and Tesla might be a completely different story, so jumping in then would be a safer time to do so.

Let's go back to the beginning again, and the reasons for a new rebuild. Seals, gravel, paint. The seals can be easily replaced/repaired, but otherwise, it sounds like you're looking for a level of perfection you will never get with a Tesla. Paint and gravel can also be addressed quite easily, but if your trim and doors all lined up perfectly, then you would be crazy to ask for a new vehicle.

However, back to perfection. If that's your expectation, you're in for a bad experience. Not only is this still (somewhat) a first production year vehicle, but it is highly software dependent. You're going to have all sorts of hiccups until the software matures (like missing AutoPilot features, doors that need recalibrating, features that mysteriously stop working, a vehicle that needs rebooting, etc.).

I don't think you know what you're getting yourself into, and I strongly suggest you consider walking away from this purchase. Maybe a year from now things will have stabilized and Tesla might be a completely different story, so jumping in then would be a safer time to do so.

This is exactly why I asked "why roll the dice"? Bird in the hand and all...

Reactions: stace and vandacca

There was no speculation of your intention on my part. My reply to you included your statement, "If they treat this as a reorder, I'm happy to enjoy the 7-day cancellation policy and get my money back."

There was no speculation of your intention on my part. My reply to you included your statement, "If they treat this as a reorder, I'm happy to enjoy the 7-day cancellation policy and get my money back."
And note the rest of that sentence saying apparently they were not treating it that way. I was purely using that to argue that it was frustrating that they want to take away the no free supercharging from the rebuild.

What about Tesla verbally agreed on a rebuild at first and now wanted to take away the free supercharging from the rebuild? It's not possible to go back to the beginning. The reasons for the rebuild were 1) seal, paint, bad first impression because of dirty tires and gravels in the tires, 2) the way our delivery manager refused to admit the seal and paint were issues and fool us to take the car (who knows if there were other undiscovered issues? But those discoveries in 5 minutes made me suspect the rest of the car was not built up to some standard), and 3) the way this was handled by Tesla: no reply for a week and no apologies so far.

With my expectation, this is honestly my first bad experience.

I respectively reviewed your suggestion but I will not walk away from the purchase.

Last edited: