Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla needs repair....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stuff happens and body damage sucks on new car especially when you do it yourself... my post isn't going to help with your feelings. I tend to go into practical and solution mode when things happen and that's what my post is about.

To my eye, that's door skin damage only... as laid out correctly on the bill. B pillar would not move for that kind of superficial scrape.

The thing about airbag sensors and airbag R&R ... my bullsh*t detector went off.... I'd avoid that place like the plague. "European" in the name. You can tell these guys are digging into Mercedes Benz and BMW owner pockets who are used to spending thousands on regular repairs of those thirsty cars, you just know it. Say "thanks anyway" and move on.

Socially engineer the situation bit: One way of filtering bullsh*t out of these quotes is to lean in close and say, hey, you know this accident was own fault, it's a single vehicle claim but I don't want my insurance to pay for it if my rates are going to go up, so I would be paying out of my own pocket. I want to spend to make the car right again and look good.. and I don't have a lot of cash to spend after making the payments on the car in the first place. Can you help make this happen keeping any excess off the bill? If I wrote a cheque instead of using credit card, would that help? What if I brought in the coffee and donuts for the guys doing the work that day? You'll be my body shop for life if you do me well on this one.

Now here is maybe the shocking thing: I would actually bring the donuts. Things start happening.. they may pass on wholesale rates for parts to you, they may waive or disappear "shop fees" from the bill, the worker may do a better effort because they meet the owner and appreciate you appreciating them.

I paid $1000 to have paint protection film applied to the front facing surfaces of my S. After looking at the job, and hearing about being the first Tesla in, and extra care and special touches they paid attention to the job and seeing the extra custom pieces of film they cut in addition to the kit, etc..... I paid the bill and asked to see who did it. I knew (from the App) my car was in the bay for most of that day. I was ushered into the shop and said thanks to the woman who did it and handed her a $50 bill as tip, and said "nice job!" loud enough that her boss and coworkers noticed. Although, I had been warned "she's totally deaf" ... so I signed the words for thank you and awesome and she got the message. After dropping her jaw, her face turned into an ear to ear grin and she signed back thanks. I could tell it made an impression that will stick for her and that shop .. maybe everyone else gets a little bit better job done for it.. who knows?

If the quoted place does great work, tell them some other Tesla owners are watching closely on this forum and there could be referrals coming of it. Do this before they begin work.

Also, before work begins, get actual real references for similar work at that shop (not just Yelp) and call them and ask to see their cars with "before" pictures as well. Online reviews are so easily tainted.

Thanks for the advice! This is very helpful!!

It might be too late, but I'd consider NOT using insurance for this repair. It will show up as a claim on your insurance history, your rates could go up, and it will permanently mark your vehicle as having been in an accident. You can likely find a "no insurance" repair option for less money.

Unfortunately this didn't cross my mind, I was worried about the damages to my building's parking lot wall that my first thought was to notify my insurance company right away, but good to know!

Welcome to TMC @marcysx9 I've had work done at Spectrum Collision (granted it was the bumper) and have been happy with the work.

Since you're in the OC, might I suggest coming by Long Beach for the NDEW this weekend and you'll "catch" a bunch of OC Tesla owners there as the Tesla Owners Club of Orange County (Meetup group link, TMC Group link) will be having a meetup during the National Drive Electric Week event from 10am to 1pm and you can ask and see folks who have had work done on their car (I'm sure we're not the only one to have gone to either of the two certified OC Tesla body shops.)

Sorry about the damage, and hope it gets fixed right away.

Thank you so much for all the info!! I will definitely try to drop by tomorrow!

Thank you so much for all the info!! I will definitely try to drop by tomorrow!

It was good to meet you today and welcome to the OC Tesla Club... You were talking to @garygid when we were leaving this afternoon and I hope he was able to give you more detailed advice as his car looks great after the issue that he had (and repairs that were completed in his car).

I'm sure you were able to make it back to FV to get a boost from Long Beach and get home with a charge.

LNA? If they want to cut into the B post, I could go with you to talk to them, BEFORE they do anything serious. Also, if the airbags were not deployed, I would think that the sensors should be good, and I would ask more about that. If you want some help, just ask. Also, you might remember this coming Saturday 8 AM at Hometown Buffet on 17th Street in Santa Ana. Cheers, Gary

I'm not a certified shop, but I have lots of experience with these cars. YES I CAN get parts, and no we are not working for $40/hr. We do lots of aluminum repair, so we already have the aluminum tools that make the certified shops so special (we have the tools for our other OEM certifications). The only thing I can't do is replacement of structural parts cause Tesla won't sell the parts. So unless you want to wait 2 months for a Certified shop to START repairs, I say bring it by and let me take a look. Chances are I can deal with your insurance, and get you back on the road MUCH sooner than your other options could.

I'm not a certified shop, but I have lots of experience with these cars. YES I CAN get parts, and no we are not working for $40/hr. We do lots of aluminum repair, so we already have the aluminum tools that make the certified shops so special (we have the tools for our other OEM certifications). The only thing I can't do is replacement of structural parts cause Tesla won't sell the parts. So unless you want to wait 2 months for a Certified shop to START repairs, I say bring it by and let me take a look. Chances are I can deal with your insurance, and get you back on the road MUCH sooner than your other options could.
So in other words, you CAN'T get parts. No more so then anyone else can. Tesla's ridiculous monopoly on repair continues.

I have only had my Tesla for about a month when I did a bonehead thing and ran into a curb. I'm actually in So Cal also and I have it at Class Auto Center in Long Beach but I'm still waiting on the estimate. Most likely the bumper will have to be replaced and there was some wheel damage also. I've been away from the car for almost a week now and starting to get withdrawals! Lol. I'll fill you in on the repairs and costs when I get them. I really don't care how much it costs I just want my car back!

At last I picked up my Tesla today from the shop today so I want to thank all of you for your great replies.

@garygid Hi Gary, thanks for all your help and advice! I haven't forgotten about you and the Hometown Buffet, I wiil definitely try to join soon!

@AEdennis Thanks for all the info and everything! It was a pleasure meeting you guys!

I thought it would be a good idea to finish off my repair story for future reference on the auto shops.

So I ended up taking my Tesla to 2 more shops after my last post, never made it to Class Auto (my insurance's one).

I first took it to DC Autocraft in Burbank and I had a pretty good feeling about them when I arrived, they seemed very knowledgeable, plus there's a Tesla Service Center right around the corner and pretty much 90% of the cars they had on repair were Teslas.

They said that they did not think that the B post needed cutting at all but that the estimates needed to be adjusted for sure as their labour rate was higher. I would have gone with them but unfortunately they said that I would need to leave my Tesla with them while the parts where being ordered (part of their policy), unlike all the other shops who said that I could keep it until the parts came in.They estimated 1 month of work, 2 weeks to get the parts, 2 to fix the car.

I decided to follow my gut and try one last shop, a very well recommended one, Avio Coach Craft in Pontius Avenue. They said the estimate from my insurance was quite accurate, just like DC Autocraft, they said that the B post definitely did not need cutting, 2 weeks for the parts to come in, 2-3 weeks for repair, but I could keep the car in the meantime.

So at last, I picked Avio for the repairs and brought my Tesla to them and I am very glad I did. I was impressed with their customer service, their staff is simply wonderful. They took care of everything with the insurance, even arranged Enterprise to pick me up at their location when I did the drop off, they definitely made this experience less stressful and overwhelming, plus they did a superb job, Tesla looks like new again. I would totally recommend Avio Coach Craft, these guys are amazing.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
I have only had my Tesla for about a month when I did a bonehead thing and ran into a curb. I'm actually in So Cal also and I have it at Class Auto Center in Long Beach but I'm still waiting on the estimate. Most likely the bumper will have to be replaced and there was some wheel damage also. I've been away from the car for almost a week now and starting to get withdrawals! Lol. I'll fill you in on the repairs and costs when I get them. I really don't care how much it costs I just want my car back!

Oh I get the withdrawals! I kept getting off the rental car without turning it off, so glad the car started beeping otherwise I would have left it on and unlocked lol. I had to remind myself at the beginning to "lock" the car when I walked away. Don't worry, time flies, you will get your Tesla back in no time!

I never made it to Class Auto, which was the first place I was supposed to go to, let us know how their estimate is. I went to Spectrum Coliseum, European Motor Works, ICC Collision Center-Torrance, DC Autocraft and Avio Coach Craft. I had a great experience with Avio, I just picked up my Tesla today, they were very quick and did a wonderful job, if you have the chance I would recommend that you check them out.

Hi Collision Sam, I read your message a bit late, I just got my Tesla back from the shop today. Still, wanna thank you for the offer and info, much appreciated it!

Oh I get the withdrawals! I kept getting off the rental car without turning it off, so glad the car started beeping otherwise I would have left it on and unlocked lol. I had to remind myself at the beginning to "lock" the car when I walked away. Don't worry, time flies, you will get your Tesla back in no time!

I never made it to Class Auto, which was the first place I was supposed to go to, let us know how their estimate is. I went to Spectrum Coliseum, European Motor Works, ICC Collision Center-Torrance, DC Autocraft and Avio Coach Craft. I had a great experience with Avio, I just picked up my Tesla today, they were very quick and did a wonderful job, if you have the chance I would recommend that you check them out.
Yeah, I go through the lock door issue also Who would have thought that locking the door was so annoying...haha

They said it is going to take 2 to 3 weeks just to get the parts! Is that normal?

Where is Avio Coach Craft located, address and phone, or web link would help, please.

Glad you got your Tesla back in good shape. Being able to drive the car while waiting for parts helped me too, I got a month of driving before I actually delivered my S for rocket-surgery.

Our next SoCal EV Gathering breakfast is one week from this coming Saturday, on Nov 19th, at the Hometown Buffet on 17th Street in Santa Ana. No "joining" necessary, just show up. We had three first-timers last Saturday, one driving a new red Tesla S60, and one seeking advice on buying a 35k mile used 2013 LEAF for $7500, which sounded like a great bargin. Like the newer TM-Spy app, we fixed him up with the similar Leaf-Spy app, talked about what to look for, and suggested some revealing questions to ask.

Some folks might like to ride with me, from Laguna Hills.
Use the links in my signature to find a relevant thread.