Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla P3D Experience...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:)First, my EV evolution. Purchased a 2012 Prius Plug In, Jan 2013, still have. Leased a BMW i3 BEV for thirty months, Sep 2014, lease returned. Leased a 2014 Chevy Bolt Premier, Jul 2017, still have. Love the Bolt, but the desire for a Tesla Model 3 was too strong.

Ordered a Tesla P3D April 17, received notification it was available for delivery May 2. Vehicle built April 27th, VIN 237XXX, Software version 2019.12.1.2. I was assured of HW3. Door jam sticker shows 04-19. Some here are stating HW3 has 2019.7xxx software. Based on build date, should be HW3, but not sure. Would appreciate all thoughts on this. Took delivery yesterday (05-04-19) in Richmond, VA. Printed out the four page delivery checklist. Gave the car a good look with zero issues, but impossible to cover every item, so much activity going on. Richmond delivered seven Model 3s yesterday. The P3Ds are being delivered with the rear spoiler and DM badging. 20190505_073240.jpg

I prefer to lease EVs, but Tesla's lease terms made purchasing the best option. I currently have a Leviton 40A EVSE, but purchased a Tesla Wall Connector, prior to delivery. I'm getting 35 miles charge per hour, but would prefer the 44 miles per hour charge rate with the Tesla HPWC. Will hold off and make a decision later.

Love my Tesla, definite learning curve.

Grate that you had zero issues! It seemed like all the initial HW3 releases came with 7.102/7.105 but just recently they've been able to upgrade to 12.x. So I don't think a 12.x firmware tells you either way, but a 4/27 build date should definitely have HW3.

Reactions: --1--
Grate that you had zero issues! It seemed like all the initial HW3 releases came with 7.102/7.105 but just recently they've been able to upgrade to 12.x. So I don't think a 12.x firmware tells you either way, but a 4/27 build date should definitely have HW3.
:)Thanks for the reply. Mine should be HW3, but who's knows? We making a big deal out of HW3 vs HW2.5, but one less service trip is best.

The primary difference is likely to be a permanent fixture of an obnoxious grin of happiness on his face. Prius drivers have a furrowed brow from their constant attempts to go fast, despite having acquired cars intentionally designed to be neither fast nor be fun.

@--1-- OP left me wanting more. Can you comment on the driving experience? The opinion of a Prius Plug-In + BMW i3 + Bolt owner would definitely be interesting to hear.

Welcome to the forum!

:)Hi and thanks for the welcome. Purchased my Prius Plug In Advance, Jan 2013. Expensive, even with a big discount at $39,000. Good vehicle, problem free, great fuel mileage plus 10 miles EV range. Ten miles was a joke six years ago, just made you want more. At that time, all EV choices were Tesla and the Nissan Leaf. The Leaf had about 70 miles range, big problem with battery degrading. When the BMW i3 was released, the BEV version with 80 miles was impressive. Had the i3 on a 30 month lease. Problem free, nice looking EV. Quickly, the 80 mile range wasn't enough. Returned it in Mar 2017. Drove my Prius until I was able to find a good deal on the 2017 Bolt. My Bolt gets around 235 mile range in the summer. Problem free, solid, and I like the look. Who doesn't want a Tesla? Best technology, OTA updates, Supercharger network. Not cheap, but the best EV available. I've had plenty of car in my life. Hooked on EVs.

You own a Prius AND a BMW i3?

Don't buy another car, I can get you a great deal on the Brooklyn Bridge.

Here's your answer. The P3D is an actual car. The other two you mentioned are heavy go-cart modifications.
:)Honestly, the Prius Plug In and the BMW i3 weren't bad choices when they were released in 2012 and 2014. Give me credit, I've progressed, not recessed. The Tesla Model 3 is the real deal. Wouldn't consider the Models S or X.

Reactions: bhzmark