Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Probs Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this in a couple other spots but basically here is a short vid documenting some of my issues with my Tesla. Also I'll repeat i LOVE Tesla and what they do however these probs are very frustrating for such an expensive car. My P85+ has only about 8000 miles on it and is a 2014. Anyone else have issues like this? Feel free to follow along if it interests you. I'll be adding some vids documenting the progress.

Jesse

I posted this in a couple other spots but basically here is a short vid documenting some of my issues with my Tesla. Also I'll repeat i LOVE Tesla and what they do however these probs are very frustrating for such an expensive car. My P85+ has only about 8000 miles on it and is a 2014. Anyone else have issues like this? Feel free to follow along if it interests you. I'll be adding some vids documenting the progress.

Jesse

That's a lot of problems for only 8000 miles.

My 2016 refresh has had nothing but problems as well, and I agree, Tesla's fit and finish is very poor, even comparing to lower cost cars. The door panels are extremely cheap and poorly designed as you demonstrated.

The failed steering system is concerning. I've seen quite a few mentions of that in other posts.

Keep us posted.

Reactions: gowthamn
I feel your pain man. :( You are not alone.

We have a 2014 S85 and while we have not had nearly as many problems as yours is experiencing every time we have taken it in for service the service center has introduced another issue. Our new 2017 S90D has had many little problems from day one that required service center visits.

Hope it gets fixed and you have no more issues.

I think I got lucky on my May 2016 75D because I haven't had the fit and finish issues so much. My issues in 44k miles and 1 year of ownership have been:

- Mobile connector died. Tesla replaced.
- Numerous weird errors have appeared on the dash (charge port needs replacing, bluetooth needs servicing, etc.). Tesla said these are likely just glitches. Indeed, my bluetooth and charge port door appear to operate normally.
- One of the LED DRL (or "signature lights" as Tesla likes to call them now) failed just days after delivery. Tesla replaced.
- Had some creaking when turning hard left or right. Tesla replaced nylon washers.
- Had a significant amount of rattles from various locations throughout the cabin. After 3 service visits to address these, they are mostly corrected, though some do continue to pop up from time to time. I just drove a shitty $10k economy rental car for a week with high miles and it had zero rattles.
- Noticed my supercharger rates, after many tests in different settings/locations, have dropped significantly and now I am unable to top 87kW. I have contacted Tesla several times about this but have yet to receive a response.

That's it so far. All other systems are normal and none of my issues have kept me from driving the car.

I purchased the 25k mile service and I plan on purchasing the 50k mile service. If all goes well, I probably won't purchase another service until 100k.

Jesse

Its hard to tell in the video, but does your right rear taillight have condensation in it? It could just be a reflection.

Mine were replaced along with seals for that issue. This happened within the first month of delivery from the factory.

If you do have condensation, add that to your list before the warranty expires.

I guess we got it vise versa. My 2015 P85D and my Wife's 2015 85D didn't have as many issues as our 2016 P100D does with its quality control and I've complained about it multiple times. Sunroof has leaked water, headlights started this humming noise, Turn signal was hyper flashing, Mirrors wouldn't fold back out, chrome trim popping out, passenger wheel had curb rash on delivery day but Tesla was nice and fixed all of these issues. Except the Folding Mirrors they still barely work but whatever. I'm not as happy with my P100D as I wished I was. Sadly to say I'm kind of disappointed with it.

• Informative
Reactions: gowthamn and MS16
I guess we got it vise versa. My 2015 P85D and my Wife's 2015 85D didn't have as many issues as our 2016 P100D does with its quality control and I've complained about it multiple times. Sunroof has leaked water, headlights started this humming noise, Turn signal was hyper flashing, Mirrors wouldn't fold back out, chrome trim popping out, passenger wheel had curb rash on delivery day but Tesla was nice and fixed all of these issues. Except the Folding Mirrors they still barely work but whatever. I'm not as happy with my P100D as I wished I was. Sadly to say I'm kind of disappointed with it.

Have you noticed any difference in steering precision between your 85s and your 100?

Just not sure what the video is trying to accomplish. I know he says it's a rant, but every other sentence was, "I'm sure Tesla will take care of all of this."

So, what's the takeaway? Don't buy a used 2014 P85+?

I personally think his car is just irritated at him for only driving it 8K miles in 3 years. ;)

To be honest there wasn't really a huge point. It wasn't to bash Tesla as i think the video is pretty fair. I think Tesla has done and will do a good job fixing these current problems. I poste all sorts of various youtube vids on my channel. This is what i was currently dealing with so felt like documenting it.

Jesse

Wow, fortunately it seems like the newer cars don't have so many of these kind of issues. My issues, to date, on my December 2016 MS:

1. Driver's side mirror sometimes didn't extend all the way -- solved by combination of lubricant and software update
2. Just discovered that the rear view mirror panel isn't fully connected to the windshield on the passenger side. No impact to function at all, and I just didn't notice for the last 6 months but have a service appt for it anyway.
3. Completely my fault but I used the wrong snow chains one time and shredded the control arm on one wheel.

Outside those, everything has been perfect in terms of fit and finish.

This thread reinforces my felling that somehow I lucked out and got a very good car, for which I am grateful. My 2015 70D car is about 20 months old and has a relatively modest 18,300 miles on it. My only problems so far are one failed door handle, just replaced last week, a small sunroof adjustment, and two loose door gaskets that were reattached. The door handle was the most significant of these minor items and somewhat inconvenient, but did not disable the car and was repaired in a short visit to the service center.

I actually more or less expected my car to be very good, as it was built after Tesla had 3 years of experience building the exact same car (except only one year for the all-wheel drive). So I am dismayed to hear about later cars that have large numbers of problems.

So I am keeping my fingers crossed that mine will remain solid and reliable and not suddenly start having more issues.

I'm honestly scared to death of how the model 3 will be rolled out and the future of the company.

My S has had basically every part replaced (some multiple times). It's great now and I'll probably drive it till the battery has no electrons left as I don't have time to buy a P100D and have it rebuilt 50 times. If I didn't see threads like this everyday I might actually upgrade!!!! My X has basically been rebuilt and the front suspension still makes clickety clack sounds like a rusted wheel barrel and feels like the front wheels are going to fall off soon (will get serviced in summer hopefully). My wife doesn't really like the car but there are no other electric SUVs.

These repeated threads are part of a systematic problem that will rear its head when the masses buy these cars. If the quality is anything like what us forgiving die-hard Tesla owners have experienced then a competitor will come in and disrupt them in a big way. Lets hope the mothership is reading these posts and making damn sure that doesn't happen.

Reactions: David29
This thread reinforces my felling that somehow I lucked out and got a very good car, for which I am grateful. My 2015 70D car is about 20 months old and has a relatively modest 18,300 miles on it. My only problems so far are one failed door handle, just replaced last week, a small sunroof adjustment, and two loose door gaskets that were reattached. The door handle was the most significant of these minor items and somewhat inconvenient, but did not disable the car and was repaired in a short visit to the service center.

I actually more or less expected my car to be very good, as it was built after Tesla had 3 years of experience building the exact same car (except only one year for the all-wheel drive). So I am dismayed to hear about later cars that have large numbers of problems.

So I am keeping my fingers crossed that mine will remain solid and reliable and not suddenly start having more issues.

I think quality went down with the refresh models and due to the disgruntled workers in Fremont. A lot of the problems on my car should have never made it out of the factory. let alone past the delivery center inspection (if there is even one). It seems there's a "whatever" attitude that's set in.

Only issue I ever had with my feb 2016 90d for 18000 miles was one instance where the indicator for jack mode appeared on the dashboard in very cold weather, despite the car operating totally normal. Never bothered contacting service as the issue only happened in that one instance