Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla rolls backwards a little bit at stop signs with fsd!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed this lately. If there’s even just a small amount of elevation, when using fsd for speed, the Tesla will automatically break at stop signs and stop lights but it rolls backward a little! Not just an inch but a good several inches even close to a foot!

I think it's under the Driving menu. There's Hold, which will not let your car move after bringing it to a stop. One of the other options is Roll Out?? I don't remember, it basically is a creep mode lets you start moving when you think the light is about to change?? Not sure about any of it as because I'm too lazy to get up and look at the car computer screen.

Reactions: X-pilot
7660ABE1-E761-46A5-90D1-7F826771BABC.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyF4
This is one of the reasons I like creep mode, but some don't like it. Frankly, I think a car should never roll backward in drive setting, but I guess that is just me.
I also use hold mode on steep incline stops. I have the X, not the Y, where "hold" works differently. I wish they would give this mode a different name.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
I know the OP already said this wasn’t what happened with his car, but just earlier today I stopped at a downward slopping stretch of a road at a stop sign using the brake pedal and when I started to go (pushed the accelerator) my car momentarily moved backward…I immediately took my foot off the accelerator and then reapplied it and went on my own merry way. I then saved the video footage.

I noticed this lately. If there’s even just a small amount of elevation, when using fsd for speed, the Tesla will automatically break at stop signs and stop lights but it rolls backward a little! Not just an inch but a good several inches even close to a foot!
My 2018 Model 3 does this too. I’ve noticed it happens during manual driving lately too when using one pedal driving. Anyone ever figure this out? I’m hesitant to engage Tesla service because I have a feeling it will be a wild goose chase and may not be covered under warranty (I have 100k miles).

may not be covered under warranty (I have 100k miles).
Well, since a 2018 Tesla model 3 has exceeded both the mileage and the years as far as the car warranty goes, if you take it in, you will be paying (even if they dont find anything). The only warranty you have is the battery and drive unit warranty, and that warranty covers those two pieces (the HV battery and the drive unit) and nothing else... not even things connected to those things.

Well, since a 2018 Tesla model 3 has exceeded both the mileage and the years as far as the car warranty goes, if you take it in, you will be paying (even if they dont find anything). The only warranty you have is the battery and drive unit warranty, and that warranty covers those two pieces (the HV battery and the drive unit) and nothing else... not even things connected to those things.
If it's a bad sensor in the drive unit causing this, which is within the realm of possibility, it would be covered under warranty. But yea, I suspect it would be expensive to have them troubleshoot which is why I haven't gone that route.

If it's a bad sensor in the drive unit causing this, which is within the realm of possibility, it would be covered under warranty. But yea, I suspect it would be expensive to have them troubleshoot which is why I haven't gone that route.
No, it wouldnt. The warranty in place on your car is HV battery and drive unit. Thats it. Any sensors (or anything else) would fall under the 4 year 50k warranty, which has expired for every 2018 Model 3.

Im not going to get into a bunch of back and forth over this though, so here is a link to the warranty document from Tesla. You would need to show Tesla where it says something other than drive unit and HV battery is still covered, in this document.

No, it wouldnt. The warranty in place on your car is HV battery and drive unit. Thats it. Any sensors (or anything else) would fall under the 4 year 50k warranty, which has expired for every 2018 Model 3.

Im not going to get into a bunch of back and forth over this though, so here is a link to the warranty document from Tesla. You would need to show Tesla where it says something other than drive unit and HV battery is still covered, in this document.

I'm not an expert on the Tesla drive unit, so I'll defer here if you know otherwise. But my assumption was that there's integral hall effect sensors within that are not serviceable without rebuilding the drive unit and thus would be included as part of the warranty.

Do you have the hold setting enabled?

To be clear on my issue, which sounds very similar to OPs. The car isn't actually rolling. Hold is enabled. It's reversing backwards slightly (less than an inch when manually driving, more dramatic when on FSD) before activating hold. I can tell it's actually reversing and not rolling because it will do it even on a flat surface or downward slope.

Going to try and get some videos of this to more clearly demonstrate one of these days.

I'm not an expert on the Tesla drive unit, so I'll defer here if you know otherwise. But my assumption was that there's integral hall effect sensors within that are not serviceable without rebuilding the drive unit and thus would be included as part of the warranty.

I misread what you said, which specifically was "if its a bad sensor in the drive unit, it would be covered". I previously said that wouldnt be covered, but retract that statement (because the drive unit is covered). I missed that you said "in the drive unit", but thats my fault, not yours. I am not going to edit it, because I am posting as a regular member and a regular member couldnt go back and edit this at this time, but Yes, I agree with you that if it was a sensor in the drive unit, it would be covered (by a replacement drive unit, most likely).

Getting to that point with Tesla though might be "challenging" (lol), so You the approach you are taking is likely the same one I would take (with my 2018 Model 3P).