Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla saved us

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I were driving in autopilot on a six-lane interstate (3 lanes each) doing about 65. I was in the passing lane with a car slightly behind me in the center lane and a car slightly ahead of me in the far right lane - a V formation. I looked to see the lane was clear and flipped my signal to move to the center lane. The car started to move to the center lane but changed its mind and moved partially back into the far left lane. While I was wondering why, an asshat doing over 90 came flying around the center car from the slow lane into the spot I would have been in had my car not reacted first. As he sped away my car completed the lane change and carried on as if nothing had happened.

I never saw that car speeding up on the far right and shudder to think what would have happened if my Tesla hadn’t been piloting at that moment.

I doubt it aborted the lane change because of the other driver that wasn’t in the lane. Autopilot really only verifies that the are next to you is CURRENTLY available, not that it will remain available.

Either way, happy you avoided the collision.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure autopilot also pays attention to the speed of cars in other lanes since in the last autopilot visual update it displays whether the cars in the other lanes are going faster or slower than you.

Reactions: TexanEV
Glad you avoided a collision but I think it highly likely that your car did not complete the lane change you requested because the car “slightly” behind you in the lane you wanted to change into (the center lane) was too close and/or was accelerating slowly towards you. In my experience, Tesla is now pretty good at detecting that and cancelling the lane change.

I do not believe that Tesla is monitoring cars two lanes away from the lane the car is in and taking action based on their behavior. Of course, I could be wrong, I don’t work for Tesla on the Autopilot team...

My wife and I were driving in autopilot on a six-lane interstate (3 lanes each) doing about 65. I was in the passing lane with a car slightly behind me in the center lane and a car slightly ahead of me in the far right lane - a V formation. I looked to see the lane was clear and flipped my signal to move to the center lane. The car started to move to the center lane but changed its mind and moved partially back into the far left lane. While I was wondering why, an asshat doing over 90 came flying around the center car from the slow lane into the spot I would have been in had my car not reacted first. As he sped away my car completed the lane change and carried on as if nothing had happened.

I never saw that car speeding up on the far right and shudder to think what would have happened if my Tesla hadn’t been piloting at that moment.

Yes. I’ve had the same thing happen only I was on a 12 lane highway. Put my blinker on to move a lane right, car started to change lanes but then quickly went back. I was ??? Then looked over my right shoulder and there was an excessively speeding SUV three lanes over and behind me that was cutting across and landed in the lane beside me, where I’d have ended up. Once the SUV was fully past me, car completed the lane change.

The cars are getting smart. They’re starting to anticipate what other vehicles on the road will do - like paths of probability.

Glad you’re safe!

The Tesla AP sees everything, particularly HW 3.0. It sees all the pedestrians on the sidewalks, all the obstacles along both curbs and all vehicles within it's sight and measures their velocities and threat levels. What is depicted on the display is a fraction of what it is looking at and analyzing. Go to YouTube and search for greentheonly clips.

To be clear, the car in the center lane was far enough behind and slow enough that my lane change was halfway completed before my car returned partway back into the passing lane. It immediately completed the lane change once speed racer had passed by. It was all over in a few seconds.

Last edited:
Reactions: EinSV and Itsuo-DC
Glad all is safe. Sometimes I wonder exactly what the avoidance capabilities of the car are. Some guy posted a video of his model 3 driving around a line of ducks crossing at speed. Is that sort of thing even reality? I assumed a trigger for avoidance is more if someone tries to dive into your lane. Is there good documentation on this and its development in updates released?

I doubt it aborted the lane change because of the other driver that wasn’t in the lane. Autopilot really only verifies that the are next to you is CURRENTLY available, not that it will remain available.

The lane change feature watches for an available spot in the adjacent lane feature, but it merely reports that fact to the autopilot controller. It does not choose to enter or leave the lane.

We also need to remember that the display is NOT showing you all that the car sees and knows - the display is a completely separate computer system showing you a simplified rendering of things.

The master autopilot controller is watching multiple variables, from all angles, ahead and behind - including confirming the user responds to the wheel - before deciding to proceed with a change.

I don't think the "lane change identification" module dodged the oncoming car. I think the master autopilot got a warning from a separate warning module, so the master autopilot overrode the lane change and put the car back into a safer position until the threat passed... and then went back and made the intended lane change.