Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla taught my 4 year old to say f***

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It happened so quickly. One minute I left my little angel in the safety of my X and the next I came back to a preschooler cheerfully swearing like George Carlin.

Here's how it happened: I was getting ready to get out for a quick task. I set the A/C and my little girl asked "Daddy, please play Weird Al." Not wanting to deny my children the classics, I punched the artist into the music search and played the channel Weird Al Radio. I believe the song was Another One Rides the Bus.

When the song ended the streaming radio service chose to play what I believe was George Carlin's 7 Dirty Words sketch. I quickly skipped to the next track when I got back in but the damage was done. Worse still, the next track was Dane Cook (you know, the guy with a routine about flipping cashews off of his penis and trying to catch them--a truly classy fellow)

Further testing on my own revealed that the streaming radio service seems to think Weird Al belongs squarely in the blue comedy category. I'm not sure I've ever heard that man swear.

Tesla, if you're reading this, please please please add a child/radio friendly option to the streaming service. As it is, I can't trust it not to play wildly inappropriate stuff. To everyone else, hide your kids, hide your wife. There's a whole world of bad language lurking in your radio.

When the song ended the streaming radio service chose to play what I believe was George Carlin's 7 Dirty Words sketch. I quickly skipped to the next track when I got back in but the damage was done.
I think the point of Carlin's bit was that those words really didn't do any "damage" whatsoever.

And 45 years later our society still hasn't matured enough to deal with those words. The '7 Dirty Words' Turn 40, but They're Still Dirty

Is the F word even a vulgarity in 2017? I'm not so sure.

Our culture has redefined what a curse word is. That is, a word intended to seriously offend somebody.

I get a call from school that our son was being bad and I need to go get him. He was overheard by a teacher, and I quote, "saying the S word to another student".

I go meet with the principal and am warned in no uncertain terms, that such language will cause his expulsion if not corrected.

My son stares at his shoes the whole time except to look up and acknowledge his sins.

We are driving home, and I asked my boy where he heard that word. He looks puzzled. "Everybody says it" he replied. "Really? Who is 'everybody'?" I ask, as now something seems amiss with his demeanor. Slowly he recounts, "Our movies, my friends, some of the teachers. I didn't think it was that bad, but I won't say it anymore." OK, HE WATCHES KIDDY DVDs ONLY!!! And I seriously doubt his teachers are cussin' all day long. Time to find out why he's lying by coming right out and saying it, "Son, are you telling me your teachers says shiit in front of you? Or your cartoons says shiit? Really? WHICH ONES???"

Now he really looks puzzled. He's looking me right in the eyes, and tilts his head, "Huh?". I continue, "You're telling me everybody including your teachers say shiit. I don't believe you".

Finally the light bulb turns on in his little 5 year old head. "OHHHH. No dad. I called a kid STUPID".

I am not making this up. No teacher would come out and tell me the "S Word" was Stupid, or realize that a parent might think the "S Word" could mean something different to different people. All I can say is some teachers today are the "S Word".

Last edited:
Is the F word even a vulgarity in 2017? I'm not so sure.

Our culture has redefined what a curse word is. That is, a word intended to seriously offend somebody.

I get a call from school that our son was being bad and I need to go get him. He was overheard by a teacher, and I quote, "saying the S word to another student".

I go meet with the principal and am warned in no uncertain terms, that such language will cause his expulsion if not corrected.

My son stares at his shoes the whole time except to look up and acknowledge his sins.

We are driving home, and I asked my boy where he heard that word. He looks puzzled. "Everybody says it" he replied. "Really? Who is 'everybody'?" I ask, as now something seems amiss with his demeanor. Slowly he recounts, "Our movies, my friends, some of the teachers. I didn't think it was that bad, but I won't say it anymore." OK, HE WATCHES KIDDY DVDs ONLY!!! And I seriously doubt his teachers are cussin' all day long. Time to find out why he's lying by coming right out and saying it, "Son, are you telling me your teachers says shiit in front of you? Or your cartoons says shiit? Really? WHICH ONES???"

Now he really looks puzzled. He's looking me right in the eyes, and tilts his head, "Huh?". I continue, "You're telling me everybody including your teachers say shiit. I don't believe you".

Finally the light bulb turns on in his little 5 year old head. "OHHHH. No dad. I called a kid STUPID".

I am not making this up. No teacher would come out and tell me the "S Word" was Stupid, or realize that a parent might think the "S Word" might mean something different to different people. All I can say is some teachers today are the "S Word".

Haha. I got called in many years ago because my kindergartner had written 'F*ck you' on the back of a drawing. Never mind he couldn't spell anything and had just copied it from someone else. His poor teacher was whispering and really upset. I shrugged. Not like the lil guy knew what was being written. She needed to get a sense of humor.

I can curse like a heavy equipment operator (on-the-job experience, but that's another story) & I knew my son heard curse words escape from my mouth from time to time. And he heard those words other places, especially his friends as a pre-teen.

But he was still not allowed to use inappropriate language. It wasn't that I wanted to stop him from cursing. I wanted him to understand 'appropriate time and place'. Not appropriate: Job interview, grandparents, in public where he might offend someone, etc. Appropriate: With his friends where they were trash-talking, toe stubbed, etc.

It's not that I disapproved. But we have a responsibility to teach our kids boundaries and being aware of others.

Haha. I got called in many years ago because my kindergartner had written 'F*ck you' on the back of a drawing. Never mind he couldn't spell anything and had just copied it from someone else. His poor teacher was whispering and really upset. I shrugged. Not like the lil guy knew what was being written. She needed to get a sense of humor.

I can curse like a heavy equipment operator (on-the-job experience, but that's another story) & I knew my son heard curse words escape from my mouth from time to time. And he heard those words other places, especially his friends as a pre-teen.

But he was still not allowed to use inappropriate language. It wasn't that I wanted to stop him from cursing. I wanted him to understand 'appropriate time and place'. Not appropriate: Job interview, grandparents, in public where he might offend someone, etc. Appropriate: With his friends where they were trash-talking, toe stubbed, etc.

It's not that I disapproved. But we have a responsibility to teach our kids boundaries and being aware of others.
My dad, an English Professor, never used the F-word in front of me until I accidentally let it slip out of my mouth as an adult.

Hilarious. BTW- If you email Tesla support and request your Slacker account info, they'll share it with you. Then you can go to the Slacker website and make the change you're looking for. Kind of a pain, but at least there's a way.

slacker.PNG

I don't listen to the radio. How about that! So I don't ever have any grandkids wanting to listen to anything specific. One grandson wants "noise", so I turn on my music that resides on a thumb drive. If I wanted, I could put a section of kid's music on it. The radio has always been prone to play stupid words.

I guess it's just what you're OK with. I don't use that kind of language because it doesn't say anything. It's silly, and it's low class, in my personal opinion. People I live with or hang around with don't use worthless words, whether they start with f or s or xyz. Interesting to me that people think they are evil. Crude, maybe. But some people like bathroom humor, too.

I can't wait for a response (really, I can) to have people tell me to f off or some other meaningless phrase that one might hear in a bar. Sorry. It doesn't make sense to me.

It happened so quickly. One minute I left my little angel in the safety of my X and the next I came back to a preschooler cheerfully swearing like George Carlin.

Here's how it happened: I was getting ready to get out for a quick task. I set the A/C and my little girl asked "Daddy, please play Weird Al." Not wanting to deny my children the classics, I punched the artist into the music search and played the channel Weird Al Radio. I believe the song was Another One Rides the Bus.

When the song ended the streaming radio service chose to play what I believe was George Carlin's 7 Dirty Words sketch. I quickly skipped to the next track when I got back in but the damage was done. Worse still, the next track was Dane Cook (you know, the guy with a routine about flipping cashews off of his penis and trying to catch them--a truly classy fellow)

Further testing on my own revealed that the streaming radio service seems to think Weird Al belongs squarely in the blue comedy category. I'm not sure I've ever heard that man swear.

Tesla, if you're reading this, please please please add a child/radio friendly option to the streaming service. As it is, I can't trust it not to play wildly inappropriate stuff. To everyone else, hide your kids, hide your wife. There's a whole world of bad language lurking in your radio.
Very sorry - this would piss me off no end if it was my own kids. But since it's yours - the visual is quite hilarious and would make a great comedy sketch.

• Love
Reactions: tizio

Al Yankovic has said that because his fan base includes a lot of young kids, he has never recorded anything that's more than a light PG. He said he has written some off color songs, but he has made sure none of them have ever been recorded so they don't end up out there. He sometimes performs them for friends though.

I went to see him once at the local fair. He puts on a good show, but about half the audience were too young to drive. Mostly the sort of kids who have had their heads dunked in a toilet at least once.

I experimented a bit with Slacker early on, but it's horrible with genre selection, especially with lesser known artists. I tried playing Tonio K and the next song was something like Barry Manilow. Completely wrong genre.

• Informative
Reactions: tizio
I love the back story on that South Park episode with them bargaining with the censors on how many times they could say the S word. Quoting the wikipedia page for the episode:

According to DVD commentary, they were only going to say it a few times, which Comedy Central would not allow. However, when Parker and Stone came up with the idea that they would "say it like 200 times, they [Comedy Central] were fine with it."

I have seen this type of request mentioned from parents on the forum before. I can understand not wanting your little ones spouting such language, and know what you mean. On a recent trip we asked for comedy and you don't know what will play. We don't have young kids but I thought about the parents' post at that moment and could feel for them. Skip arrow can't be pressed fast enough!

I suppose if Elon does his own music set up like I've seen stories on, that could be arranged, but not sure it's something in Tesla's control. Isn't it really Slacker's set up of albums? in which case maybe better requested of them. I guess there's always selections on TuneIn possibly or playlists set up on your phone or a USB drive made for kids.

Last edited:
Hilarious. BTW- If you email Tesla support and request your Slacker account info, they'll share it with you. Then you can go to the Slacker website and make the change you're looking for. Kind of a pain, but at least there's a way.

View attachment 240158
Thanks for the procedure! This worked perfectly. Now my Weird Al Radio station only plays him, Jim Gaffigan, and Blue Collar Comedy!