Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla tried to kill us today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The great thing is that Tesla can look at the Driving Logs to see exactly what has happening and how you have all you settings set. Also, as was mentioned above, Autopilot is currently for Highway use.

They can! But they wont, atleast not my service center in Stavanger, they can only do something about mechanical things here or push the latest software version(I assume my version is quite new though).

To be honest, Norway has almost no highways at all so Me(and most of the friends I know) use autopilot all the time on regular roads, it works amazingly almost never fails me.

I have a 2020 Model 3, so not exactly the same hardware. I only have EAP, not FSD. It's extremely nerveous about underpasses and tunnel enterances, especially when there are shadows on the road. I don't even dare using TACC when approaching such places.

Once driving completely manually the Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance kicked in and tried to sverwe into the left lane (with traffic the same direction) when approaching a tunnel. It was accompanied by loud beeping and deceleration.
(here Google Maps )

It hasn't happened again with the ELDA at that spot, so no idea on what specific parameter that triggered it.

Maybe the underpass was part off your mishap?

Sounds like it could be related, but then AP1 is on entierly diffrent AP software isnt it?
Do you have lane departure avoidance?

We have Lane departure warning. But since I use Lane keeping I never have that turned on.

As to the version of AP software, I thought, like you, that it was completely different. But then there is a significant propensity for programmers to use a section of code in another piece of software. it seems once they develop something they like, they don't want to let go! (And, of course, programming efficiencies come into play here.) There may be some method whereby autopilot determines path that is used with both the old and new versions of hardware.

Just guessing here, but that was my job for a long time. I was a computing systems integrator working with the programmers long before all of this interconnectivity was standardized. we constantly had to figure out what in the world they were doing to each other such that it didn't talk!

They can! But they wont, atleast not my service center in Stavanger, they can only do something about mechanical things here or push the latest software version(I assume my version is quite new though).

To be honest, Norway has almost no highways at all so Me(and most of the friends I know) use autopilot all the time on regular roads, it works amazingly almost never fails me.
I use Autopilot 99% of the time even on very small rural roads, but I do not blame Tesla when it may occasionally no perform correctly. I am much more vigilant to keep my hand close to the wheel on a rural road than a major highway...

I have noticed some strange behavior on my AP1 car. Occasionally, even though autopilot is not on, it beeps at me and says to take over! It does a little wiggling of the wheel but nothing much. Wonder if that somehow related in some corner of the software?

This is a feature, not a defect. I know we joke about Tesla calling defects a "feature" frequently but, depending on some more data from you about when specifically this happens this one could actually be a feature.

If it happened shortly after you disengaged AP and took over manually keeping your lane, it's working as intended. There was an update a while back that added a feature to continue monitoring your lane discipline as some people were knocking their car out of AP either "accidentally" or internationally but then forgot. The idea is that if you wander in your lane discipline shortly after disabling AP you may have forgot that you were now responsible for lane discipline 100% rather than having the car do it's thing. This is meant as a reminder to get your attention if you have a mental lapse coming off of a longer stint of AP... if any of that makes sense.

I've seen this behavior occasionally since that update and it works as designed. Now if yours is doing this on a new trip where you haven't even enabled AP yet it could be a bug that needs to be brought to Tesla's attention. Just offering up some insight since this sounds like it could potentially be as-intended in absence of the timing data that you didn't provide w/your post to know for sure.

Thats fair, id find it suspicious as well.
In 40.000kms ive never experienced anything like this.
Ive never had lane departure set to active so I wouldnt know how that feels, but I know when using AP that it actually takes some force to overtake the steering. Im not talking heavy force, but enough so that if you arent prepared to overtake and ur only using one hand you might not make it quickly enough.
As I wrote above, I was going 70kmh so the amount of meters you move in a single second is quite significant

which Tesla do you have?
Basically what it does it attempt to keep the wheel form turning any further (to keep you riding the edge essentially) with just enough force that you have to make a conscious effort to keep going. It doesn't swerve the wheel at all. (Like it won't try to force you back)

It sounds to me like what you experienced was some sort of wheel/traction issue. Could it have been black ice causing you to slip?

(Also I have a Model 3 for that question)

Reactions: serendipitous
I have a MS75D from late 2018, its got EAP. (Europe so severely limited)
I had lane departure warning set to warning(checked right after) and was not using autopilot at the time of the incident.
My software version is 2020.48.30

I had just exited a roundabout, going under a bridge, the lane markings were full stripes(means you are not allowed to cross) going about 70km/h. Suddenly the car takes over the steering and pulls heavily to the left trying to cross over to the oncoming traffic. Luckely I was holding the steering wheel with both hands and I managed to grab control and pull us back right before we crashed into a car coming towards us in the other lane.

I had both my kids in the car and my wife so im really glad we did not crash.
Really nervous to get in the car again now.
Anyone experienced anything simillar?
I did not know the car could control the steering when not in AP and lane departure assistance is not set to assist..
Not saying this was what happened... but when the car makes a steering input and you are not expecting it, it feel like it “pulls heavy” or “slammed on the brakes”. I’ve felt similar things, looked back the video and you can barely tell the car moved or did anything. It can certainly be jarring, though.

Just look at the recent story where there were claims the peoples Teslas “jumped forward” when the driver tried to brake. Every single case was shown to be the driver stepped on the wrong pedal. But all of those drivers reported drastic vehicle motion.

That last example was not to say YOU steered... it’s merely to point out that things can FEEL far different than it was - hopefully that was the case for you as well.

Last edited: