Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla was Broken into - Dash Cam Footage Leads to Arrest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very cool man. The guy does a great job of placing his license plate right in view of the camera.

I got a dashcam for my current car about half a year ago. I'd recommend everyone have at least a forward looking dashcam, even if its only on during driving (as mine currently is).

Now to figure out which and how to install a dashcam in a model s....

Reactions: loganss
Nice catch and I agree 100% regarding the dash cam you will see from my posts it has saved me a couple of times from idiots on I75 and a hit and run.
Both settled as no fault due to the dash cam.

Where were you this looks like the Publix on Pine Island?

So happy to hear this! Good for you. That's why I installed one.

Model S install is about as easy as it gets. If you're interested, PM me and I'll shoot directions over. I have posted them in another thread. But in the interest of not clogging up threads, just PM me. Or look for it...

I do have question for @fiksegts: what micro SD are you using? I have heard that many are not compatible and I want to put a 128 in mine, as I have the 650 dualcam.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Interesting, Although I've always thought a dashcam would be great for collisions and such, I never expected it to be any use in this situation. My thought was that any thief that broke in to my car would likely steal the camera. Interesting that this guy didn't think to do that!

My SO is a lawyer and her office partner does a lot of criminal stuff. He had a case where someone with a 1990 Toyota beater had a dash cam and rear camera and it cleared him entirely in a road rage and hit and run case. The perpetrator pulled in front of him, immediately slammed on the brakes, causing an accident, then sped off. The perpetrator was driving a big pickup so his car wasn't badly damaged, but the Toyota was pretty much totaled. Because the Toyota had rear ended the pick up, it would have been his fault except the cameras showed the pick up driving aggressively then causing the accident.

I work at home so I don't have to commute, but if I start driving more I think I'm definitely getting a dash cam. Road rage seems to be becoming more common. I don't get it myself, when people do crazy stuff around me I just give them space and hope they leave me alone.

My SO is a lawyer and her office partner does a lot of criminal stuff. He had a case where someone with a 1990 Toyota beater had a dash cam and rear camera and it cleared him entirely in a road rage and hit and run case. The perpetrator pulled in front of him, immediately slammed on the brakes, causing an accident, then sped off. The perpetrator was driving a big pickup so his car wasn't badly damaged, but the Toyota was pretty much totaled. Because the Toyota had rear ended the pick up, it would have been his fault except the cameras showed the pick up driving aggressively then causing the accident.

I work at home so I don't have to commute, but if I start driving more I think I'm definitely getting a dash cam. Road rage seems to be becoming more common. I don't get it myself, when people do crazy stuff around me I just give them space and hope they leave me alone.

The intentional version of this is called a "swoop and squat":

I had this happen to me, too. I was at a cemetery for an outside burial and some druggie followed the procession in and stole my sister's purse out of the car. Blackvue dashcam to the rescue... Posted the video to facebook, news spread to relatives/friends, TV stations started calling, thief was then caught a few weeks later. He used this method:
Except that U.S. versions of the Model S don't have glass breakage sensors. So my alarm did not kick off. Bad day squared.

Looking at the thief's records, he already has 2 felonies. Now he's locked up on $1.5 million bail facing 2 burglary felonies, 2 identity theft felonies, and a drug felony. I filed for reimbursement for the repairs a few weeks ago, but I'll doubt I'll get anything.

The intentional version of this is called a "swoop and squat":

I went to a talk once given by someone who was an expert at fraud. She was the editor of an industry magazine for fraud investigators and insurance. She talked about many scams people pull and said that different ethnic groups pull different types of scams, at the time a version of the swoop and squat was common among Central American scammers in Los Angeles.

This version wasn't a scam, it was just a guy who let his anger get out of control.

How is your camera wired to stay on when parked? I asked about this option and was told the group I was thinking of using can't do it because it could potentially drain the battery? Seems odd to me as I see a number of videos that appear to be while car is parked or off.

I think it would take about 18000 years to drain a charged 85kWh battery ;) Well, maybe not quite that long.

How is your camera wired to stay on when parked? I asked about this option and was told the group I was thinking of using can't do it because it could potentially drain the battery? Seems odd to me as I see a number of videos that appear to be while car is parked or off.

Blackvue has a Parking mode with reduced frame rate and a motion sensing option. But the idea is that the draw on the 12V battery gets replenished by the Tesla DC-to-DC converter from the main pack. it would take a very long time to deplete the main pack. The Blackvues in both of our S (see below) are wired to always on 12V. No worries.

I have a fridge in the car that draws, at most, 1kW/day. The benefit of a single moving part (swing compressor), an insulated case, and well-tinted windows.

The dashcam and radar detector (yeah, the radar detector is connected to the same unswitched circuit - doh) are pretty much un-noticeable - although if I parked next to a tree or shrub that moved a lot at night, maybe the camera would record more.

The Remote S app now gives a useful approximation of what's happening with regard to unattended draw, fwiw.

Now there are some things that do cause drain. A friend's 12V crockpot one time, for example - yeah, in two words, just don't. After all, roadhouse chili is meant to be an adventure, and we should not deprive ourselves of having some (and risking a proper case of the tomaine at said roadhouse) by making our own in a device ill-designed for the purpose.