Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My TeslaCam video in Electrek article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like they were both at fault to me ... The SUV crossed a solid yellow line and the car pulled into the intersection without having good (or any?) visibility. Neither of them showed much caution to a potentially dangerous intersection. The other SUV in front of the cam also crossed the solid yellow and got away with it, so maybe that's just how it is done in those parts ....

• Disagree
Reactions: Watts_Up
I was asking myself the same thing earlier.
Your not supposed to drive down the turn lane, but it's not like it's uncommon when you want to go left and there's traffic backed up, and the other car was also making a left, but it's not like he was speeding, the truck was likely blocking his vision.

It might be both their fault but I think the SUV was more wrong. I'll bet it comes down to who has the best lawyer.

• Disagree
This is a pretty common accident scenario.

How do I avoid this accident when taking a left turn? I don't do left turns when I can't clearly see every lane I'm crossing.

How do I avoid this accident when I drive in the Center lane? I try not to drive in the center lane for very long. I'd rather lose time than increase the risk of an accident.

The best way to prevent an accident is to avoid maneuvers that add risk.

In Texas, passing traffic in the center lane is legal if the lane is clear. I had a buddy who got called to jury duty for this exact scenario, and the judge instructed them to pay attention to what the law says versus what they think it should say.

TRANSPORTATION CODE CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES

See 545.060(b)(1).
Texas Highwayman (whoever he is) agrees with your reading but not with your interpretation:

Center left turn lanes
<snip>
Finally, although section (b)(1) above says you can use the center lane for passing, keep in mind that center lanes marked as left turn lanes cannot be used for passing as the traffic signs and pavement markings indicating that the lane is for left turns only take precedence. Section (b)(1) is an artifact from days long ago where so-called "suicide lanes" were used on rural roads to allow passing in both directions; those lanes are pretty much all gone now and have been replaced by dedicated passing lanes for one direction or the other.

The Texas Highway Man - Texas Traffic Laws (and good driving habits)

I would expect to get a ticket for doing that in Texas. But now I know how to fight that ticket! :)

Edit: And according to the Kerrville Daily Times:

The “Texas Department of Public Safety Student Driver’s Handbook” provides a diagram and states: “Left Turn Lane Only — The only time a vehicle should enter the center lane is at a point where the vehicle will have time to slow down or stop in order to make a safe left turn maneuver. Special Note: The center lane should never be used for passing or as a through-traffic lane.”

KPD reminds drivers about proper use of turn lanes

Final edit, a la Elvis:

Violationing the Texas law through misuse of the lane within the city limits of Kerrville — or the “Improper Use of Left Turn Lane” — carries a $200 fine and court costs through the Kerrville Municipal Court, officials said.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Big Earl
I don't think it was not a very long run in the center lane in this scenario either.

I'm not familiar with the area so it's hard to say. Around where I live people will go multiple football fields in the center lane.

What I find interesting is the Hyundai SUV slowed down when they saw the hole in traffic, and the Toyota SUV that crashed didn't slow down at all.

So I'm going to chalk it up to lack of experience, and lack of paying attention.

If you're going to play in the middle lane you better be on guard.

Last edited:
Texas Highwayman (whoever he is) agrees with your reading but not with your interpretation:

Center left turn lanes
<snip>
Finally, although section (b)(1) above says you can use the center lane for passing, keep in mind that center lanes marked as left turn lanes cannot be used for passing as the traffic signs and pavement markings indicating that the lane is for left turns only take precedence. Section (b)(1) is an artifact from days long ago where so-called "suicide lanes" were used on rural roads to allow passing in both directions; those lanes are pretty much all gone now and have been replaced by dedicated passing lanes for one direction or the other.

The Texas Highway Man - Texas Traffic Laws (and good driving habits)

I would expect to get a ticket for doing that in Texas. But now I know how to fight that ticket! :)
The video shows that the lane is clearly marked as a center left turn lane, so this makes sense. My friend’s jury duty was on a Farm-to-market road in a rural area, so that may explain the judge’s instructions.
All this being said, I have seen people pass in the center lane here in Houston and it scares the crap out me every time. I’m always expecting a result like the video.

Reactions: Dr. J and Watts_Up
The video shows that the lane is clearly marked as a center left turn lane, so this makes sense. My friend’s jury duty was on a Farm-to-market road in a rural area, so that may explain the judge’s instructions.
All this being said, I have seen people pass in the center lane here in Houston and it scares the crap out me every time. I’m always expecting a result like the video.
I concur. And, yes, apparently it's a different situation if the center lane is marked as left-turn only, which is common (though not universal!) in the city where I live. Thinking specifically of Forest Park Blvd., where the lack of left-turn marking is probably an oversight. I've actually been passed there, too. Legally! :eek:

There are three potential wrongdoers here:

1. The guy cutting across traffic, likely coming out of a driveway or parking lot entrance, didnt have the right of way and it is simply illegal to fail to yield the right of way to other cars that are already in their lanes. He should have waited until the lanes were clear before crossing. This is what the decapitating semis do. It is illegal.

2. Depending on the lane markings and local rules, the person coming with traffic and hits the person who failed to yield the right away could also be at fault if he violated the lane markings.

3. A person who waives another driver across (a polite, but possibly dangerous act) without ensuring that there is no risk of accident in other lanes, can also be at fault in some states.

Moral dont look for polite people to let you through to make that left turn across bad traffic; better to just turn right and go around the block or some other way.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy and jdw
"You may only drive for 200 feet in the center left turn lane. "..

That 200 feet are for preparation of doing a left turn.

The Toyota SUV saw the first example of going straight through without a left turn so successfully from the Hyundai so the Toyota driver also tried to duplicate the act but hit the sedan instead.

There's a yellow line marking break at the Left Turn Center Lane ahead with 2 opposite white Left Turn Arrows.

Maybe for a better defense, the Toyota driver could argue that its car was doing a left turn at the spot and not driving 200 feet straight through those Left Turn Arrows.

upload_2019-6-26_10-45-26.png

Last edited:
That will be a battle for the insurance companies. Both cars are at fault IMO. DISCLAIMER: I’m not an attorney, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Cutting through cars like the sedan did is absolutely retarded and drives me crazy as people in South Texas do it all the time. High risk activity.

Driving down the turn lane for 1/8mile is also one of my pet peeves. Back in Midland I have seen people drive 1/2 mile in the turn lane as the traffic there gets rather backed up. (And they used no caution going at least the speed limit while doing this).