Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My test drive today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I paid the reservation fee about 1 month ago and scheduled a test drive.

My biggest issue with getting the Tesla is not just the price, but the fact that I don't really NEED one. I have a perfectly good 3 year old Prius. I was quite content to drive this car for 10 years, like I did my old Camry.

Then I heard about Tesla and started doing some reading. Next came a visit to the store at Yorkdale. And then 3 more visits. I started thinking about the 40kw car, then the 60 and now the 85.

So today I had a test drive. The leap from a Prius to a Tesla is too much to ignore. The debate is over. Sold.

Now just waiting for Tesla to send me the ready to configure email.

My biggest issue with getting the Tesla is not just the price, but the fact that I don't really NEED one. I have a perfectly good 3 year old Prius. I was quite content to drive this car for 10 years, like I did my old Camry.

Then I heard about Tesla and started doing some reading. Next came a visit to the store at Yorkdale. And then 3 more visits. I started thinking about the 40kw car, then the 60 and now the 85.

So today I had a test drive. The leap from a Prius to a Tesla is too much to ignore. The debate is over. Sold.

Sounds like you have the 'Tesla grin'!

Yes.

Joking aside, the Prius is a very nice car, but it is designed to get the most out of the gas you put in. I drive it in Eco mode which makes it really struggle to get up to speed on an uphill highway on ramp.

Now that I've made the mental commitment to go Tesla, waiting has become more difficult.

Congratulations. After having my roadster for a month or so, I observed that pressing that "pedal on the right" in my Prius only makes the engine roar, and doesn't actually do anything else :)

Great to hear that there will be another Tesla in the GTA.

Our stories are very similar, except my journey started >3 years ago, and replace Prius with BMW 335... don't let Tesla sucker you into getting the performance version. ;)

Our stories are very similar, except my journey started >3 years ago, and replace Prius with BMW 335... don't let Tesla sucker you into getting the performance version. ;)

I rented a Prius for 2 weeks a couple of years ago on vacation and absolutely hated it. Sorry Prius lovers! Model S is not even in the same universe as the Prius, IMHO. I've driven both Performance and non-Performance Model S cars, and, for me, the non-Performance has way more "performance" than I'll ever need or use. I do like the Performance interior, but it just isn't worth the extra $$ to me. I will be ordering pretty much everything else except for the child seats and 21" wheels.

Why not 40kw?

That is a very good question. My answer is really more rationalization than logic.

I read once that if you drive a plug in Prius with a 20km range, fully charged on a 20km one way commute to work and then charge it during the day and drive it back home again, the use of the battery will be 200% efficient. If you take a Model S, with an 85kw battery, fully charged each day to work then the efficiency will be only 8.3% (40/480) if you don't charge it at work. That's a lot of Li-ion being dragged around as ballast. So maybe the 40kw battery makes much more sense.

However, I have never owned a proper EV and am making this decision without a solid point of reference. I want to be able to drive to Muskoka in the summer without range anxiety. I would like to have supercharging available either to use in the future or to help with resale when super-duper charging is available. I want winter weather and/or 8 years of use to make my 85kw battery still work like a new 60kw battery.

My most recent coup d'rationalization was to decide against the tech package (save $4g), get the 85kw (+$10g) that has supercharging included (-$2g). So the net is only 10-4-2 = $4000 for the bigger battery.

Don't sneeze because my logic will collapse like a house of cards.

Why not 40kw?

Personally, I would not recommend the 40 kWh version for anyone who experiences very cold winters. Pack heating can use up too much of the range. For Ontario winters I would strongly recommend the 60 kWh pack. Yes, Toronto winters are wimpier than much of the province, but you do get -20C and even the occasional -30C day.

- - - Updated - - -

That is a very good question. My answer is really more rationalization than logic.

I read once that if you drive a plug in Prius with a 20km range, fully charged on a 20km one way commute to work and then charge it during the day and drive it back home again, the use of the battery will be 200% efficient. If you take a Model S, with an 85kw battery, fully charged each day to work then the efficiency will be only 8.3% (40/480) if you don't charge it at work. That's a lot of Li-ion being dragged around as ballast. So maybe the 40kw battery makes much more sense.

However, I have never owned a proper EV and am making this decision without a solid point of reference. I want to be able to drive to Muskoka in the summer without range anxiety. I would like to have supercharging available either to use in the future or to help with resale when super-duper charging is available. I want winter weather and/or 8 years of use to make my 85kw battery still work like a new 60kw battery.

My most recent coup d'rationalization was to decide against the tech package (save $4g), get the 85kw (+$10g) that has supercharging included (-$2g). So the net is only 10-4-2 = $4000 for the bigger battery.

Don't sneeze because my logic will collapse like a house of cards.

Achoo.

The weight of the batteries is a consideration, but not a huge one. The 60 kWh Model S has approximately the same range as the 53 kWh Roadster, and it weighs a lot more. At highway speeds aerodynamic drag matters a whole lot more than weight.

Plus word has it that Tesla is adding ballast to the smaller packs so they don't have to redo all the crash testing.

I'm not sure that's how efficiency is measured. Utilization, yes. However, the PiP is more about addressing the shortcomings of the standard Prius rather than an attempt to be an EV--or even half-EV. And for most, charging at work is a non-starter.

I want to be able to drive to Muskoka in the summer without range anxiety. I would like to have supercharging available either to use in the future or to help with resale when super-duper charging is available. I want winter weather and/or 8 years of use to make my 85kw battery still work like a new 60kw battery.

Then the 85 kWh battery is a no-brainer.

Yes, you'll save $4K, but you'll have to live with the inconveniences for as long as you keep the car. Not a good trade-off in my opinion (not that my opinion matters).

I thought of a Nissan Leaf over a year ago but the range made it an absolute non-starter. Similarly, I would not like to be tied down by 40kw. If I lived in a big city, perhaps I would, but I frequently drive to Edmonton or Calgary return trip in one day and therefore would only want the 85. I suspect many others feel the way do.